Comments

• Huge corporation identifying a business opportunity based on a particular demographic, where dietary habits are heavily informed by the dominant religions.

And?

• I'm sure they have their regional variations around the world. Remeber Le Royal instead of the Quartepounder due to the metric system. According to Vincent Vega anyways.
  • "That's a tasty burger!"

• It's just them adapting their worldwide brand to a local market. It's common - they sell beer in France, halal meat in the Middle East, no fish in Oriental countries and so on. Whatever they think people will buy. Can't say I'm a big fan of the meat they sell over here either! 

• Why can't Maccy D's clean up their act and sell healthy food at all of their restaurants?

• Because they're a fast food outlet and not a health food shop?

• Notts Runner wrote (see)

Why can't Maccy D's clean up their act and sell healthy food at all of their restaurants?

Because they know their market.

• Wilkie wrote (see)
    Notts Runner wrote (see)

Why can't Maccy D's clean up their act and sell healthy food at all of their restaurants?

Because they know their market.

Chavs, layabouts and dole scroungers?

• If it wasn't so unhealthy I'd go in quite regularly - it's cheap and I don't mind admitting I quite like the taste of big mac and fries.   As it is I don't have a problem taking the kids in occasionally - maybe once a month at most - if we are out as a family and don't want to spend £60-£70 getting something to eat and drink.    I'm  neither a chav nor a dole scrounger - layabout - well matter of opinion !

• A MaccyD chocolate milkshake is one of my favourite hangover cures.

Innit, bro.

• I was recently at a service station. People were queing up at 10am at KFC!! Pretty gross I know, but looking at the menu it made me think. At least KFC are unhealthy and don't mind admitting it. Fried chips with fried chicken all thrown into a huge bucket. Now that's honest. None of this putting a bag of carrots on the side and a slice of lettuce on the burger. That's trying to make unhealthy food seem healthy.
  • My mum prob shouldn't have admitted this, but my first solid food was a macdonald chip!

They are still a good hangover cure.
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    But surely bag of grapes and sliced apples together with organic milk is healthy whether you buy it from waitrose or McDonalds? Im no huge maccys fan even with three young kids but surely if you are going to give them fast food like burger then teaching them or allowing them to choose healthy options on top of that cant be a bad thing? Everything in moderation I say.
  • The only time I generally eat McDonalds now is if I have a hangover - given that I don't drink very much, hangovers are few and far between!  However, it does make a hangover go away so why not have the odd big mac and fries???!  Works every time!

I am not a chav, a dole scrounger or general layabout. 

• Organic milk? why organic milk? weak minded people are easily persuaded by pictures of burgers looking healthy with a lettuce leaf and a slice of tomato on it. The same sort of people who have been persuaded by the marketing men that organic milk is healthier than normal milk.
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    If you read my post I didn't mention a token lettuce leaf of slice of tomato.
  • If you read my post I didn't say you did. What is so healthy about organic milk exactly, compared to milk that is not labelled as organic?
  • I've not eaten a macburger since about 1985, and I think I'm probably the better for it.

I last had a Burger King burger in about 1996.  I did like a Whopper, now and then image

• The kids look up and see a burger and a mc flurry. Easy meat for the advertisers. The adults look up and see carrot sticks and a juicy slice of tomato and a slice of lettuce. It must be healthy here think they think.

The people who shop at Waitrose are too smart for that. They will buy their veg with healthy options. Although they might fall for the organic milk.
  • I hate McDonald's with a passion, and I've been a vegetarian since 1986. But the question of expense is an important one. My two kids love pizzas, for example, and they don't eat from the kids menu. Before you've factored in drinks, starters (if you have them) and puddings, or various combinations of such, you're talking at least £40 already for the four of us for a lunch out. In this respect, Harvesters, much as I dislike them too, can be a godsend - especially since they have a return as often as you like salad area. We recently went to a new Bill's that opened in Wimbledon, and the food was great, but you're talking £60-£70 and it's hard to afford that on a regular basis. On that note, if anyone knows of good, relatively cheap and nutritious ways for families to eat in London, I'd be pleased to hear of them. Ta.

• popsider wrote (see)

If it wasn't so unhealthy I'd go in quite regularly - it's cheap and I don't mind admitting I quite like the taste of big mac and fries.   As it is I don't have a problem taking the kids in occasionally - maybe once a month at most - if we are out as a family and don't want to spend £60-£70 getting something to eat and drink.    I'm  neither a chav nor a dole scrounger - layabout - well matter of opinion !

totally agree with this.i actually enjoy teh taste and at least tehy give you the nutritional values.............they give you the choice.........

harvester costs me a fortune........for the family.way too expensive unless like last night I only had one son with me and so could treat him

for cheap fast food.....you can never beat a bag of chips.especially the portions in this area.mix it with 5 pieces of bread and butter and you are really full............

• I'll quite happily have the occasional MaccyD, Burger King, or whatever.

There's nothing inherently wrong with any of them, in the wider context of a balanced diet.

• PhilPub wrote (see)

A MaccyD chocolate milkshake is one of my favourite hangover cures.

The best hangover cure is more alcohol.  But saying that, I am an alkie (recovered), so don't listen to me.
  • You won't get an argument on me that an occasional burger or an accasional, as they call it, fry is going to do you any harm. In fact all food is good for us. It keeps us alive. But we are becoming a nation of obese fatties. Places like Mc Donalds are teaching us that fast, high calorie foods are ok if we have a bag on carrots on the menu.
  • Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    Organic milk? why organic milk? weak minded people are easily persuaded by pictures of burgers looking healthy with a lettuce leaf and a slice of tomato on it. The same sort of people who have been persuaded by the marketing men that organic milk is healthier than normal milk.

I think the organic label is more about higher standards of animal welfare than it is about the products themselves being somehow better for you. Not sure how that applies to carrots etc but when there's animals involved that's my take on it anyway...

I used to like a McDonalds every now and then but when I bought a quarterpounder recently (for the first time in about 3 years) I thought it was disgusting. The beef patties used to be small and thick, but the one I was served was bigger looking but only about 3mm thick and with a rubbery texture. I still like a Whopper with just lettuce and tomato on it. Yum!

Don't see anything wrong with them opening vegetarian venues. It's not cynical of them, it's just targeting their market. No point selling meat if no-one's going to buy it...

• I think that fast food retailers should have a moral responsibility to ensure that they make their food a bit more healthy.

• You can put carrots on the menu, but you can't make people buy them.

• They could always install a really narrow door so that fat people can't get in, and get rid of the drive through. image

• Peter Collins wrote (see

if anyone knows of good, relatively cheap and nutritious ways for families to eat in London, I'd be pleased to hear of them. Ta.

"Chutneys" All you can eat vegetarian curry place in Drummond Street near Euston.  I think it's £7.50 or £8 a head for all you can eat. (Diwana in the same street also, the same deal).

• Jai Krishna - vegetarian Indian Restaurant. BYO booze!!