I did, I stopped, I want to again :)

Until about 4 years ago I used to run, well jog really, approx 5K most days before work and 10K at the weekends.  I then got a puppy thinking she could/would come with me but that was not successful, (she got too distracted).  So the time I used to spend running was then given over to dog-walking and I let the running slip into non-existance.

However, I now have a little more time on my hands andI am overweight.  I am dieting to combat the weight gain but also want to get running again as it not only helps with the calorie burn and general toning but the daily runs gave me such a psychological 'lift' that I'm sure it would keep me on track (if you'll pardon the pun!)

Having decided to run again I want the most effective method back to fitness and this is where you come in.  I know I'll need to walk/run and build up but which do you consider the most beneficial until I can do the whole thing without walking : A)  Going out for a set time  or B) Going out for a set distance.

Comments

• Auntie l'aine

Exactly same boat as me. I used to be a running nut 35-40 miles a week, keeping diaries, heart rate monitor the lot, done dozens of halfs 11 Londons and was loving it.

Then for some reason fell out of love with it. This year have decided I am getting back into it, Am running 3 at the moment (cant be doing with this walking stuff, I can already walk dont need to practise that!) have been doing this now for only 2 months (33 in all last month and 6 this) its was hard at first but persevered and now its easier.

I will keep at three and increase next month to maybe 3.5 and see where I go. At the moment I am around 28.5 for 3 hoping to get down to around 26 for months end. It is a dilema time over speed, time is good though but for me I dont want to increase distance and be doing 11 mins miles.

At my age now (54) I really want to do another marathon - Loch Ness being my aim possibly in 2014. But aimong now for a 10k in May 2013 and a half in September 2013. I dont want to jump in now because everyone has their own goals and what they want to achieve, at the moment I know I couldnt do a 10k in what I would call a good time for me - I would rather wait to I could do the race in a time for me I find reasnoble.

So my advice to you would be the same, if you can do 3 now keep at that for a couple of months and she how the times come down then slowly increase. Good thread here called "starting from the begining" you will get encouragement on there

• Thanks for that  - I knew I'd get some help on here.

I was never achieved great things and never troubled with HR's, splits, etc., etc. just did my best to keep going - but still always got encouragment when I visited the forums so hopefully I can do it again - to whatever level I can.

Now then, where did I put those running shoes......................?  image

• hello

I harldy ever post on her now, but I would go for time on feet to start off with

If you are on the slow side, you wont cover that much distance at first and that can be demotivating

• You see PH, you're always there to help me!  

thanx

xx

• Depends what level you're starting from, but I would reccommend the C25K program- it might seem too easy with the walking breaks, but after going off too fast I learnt the hard way (shin splints, ouch!) that it's important to progress slowly and having a structured plan really helps me with that! I can still definitely see the improvement week on week, and it gradually increases the running until you're doing 30mins straight up (each workout is 30mins, run/walk intervals so I would definitely say go for time over distance to start with). 

Good luck image

• Theres always good ol' parkrun to give you a boost!

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/events/events

• I had an 18 month break after getting back into it after a 20+ year break. Both times I started with a C25K program.

• Maybe focus on neither for now - time or distance.  Just go out there and see where the run takes you (be sure you know where you're going though, you don't want to get lost).  I've had some of my best runs that way. image

Sometimes constraining yourself to a set route/time/distance can hold things back a bit in my experience. image

Listen to your body though - if it's telling you you're overdoing it you probably are.  This isn't the time for 'pushing it'.  Have fun!