Relationships and running.

2»

Comments

• I feel very fortunate to have an OH who has exercise equipment in the house. This has been a godsend with kids! When the kids were young it meant he could exercise at odd times (although wasn't running then). Now I am getting back into running and they are older he can exercise while watching the kids and I go out for a run!

C

• I'm finding this thread so interesting. I thought it was just my husband who moaned about my running but it seems to be a problem everyone has with their partners.

Maybe we should have a top tips for how to combine running and relationships?

I currently get up at 530 to get my weekly runs in before husband and children wake up, I go to the gym when children are asleep and husbands supper is cooked and only the LSR (which I also start at 530) impacts on family life but oh the grief I still get. 'you woke me up when the front door closed, I'm always tripping over your trainers, the laundry smells of sweaty gym kit, why are we eating pasta again.'

Sometimes you can't please everyone. Keep running and don't give in but perhaps do less events and some early morning runs when she is still asleep?

• It's all about compromise. You can have different interests and survive... you don't say what interests she has. If she has none yet moans about your running, that's her problem. 

There has to be some common ground for me - I coudn't be with a couch potato or anyone who watched Midsomer Murders image Sorry.

And let's not forget how endurance transfers to other ahem activities image that's got to be a bonus for her, surely?!

• really take my hat off to people able to fit their running around busy family lives and often unsupportive partners...puts things into perspective and makes me realise how lucky I am to be able to get in most of training pretty easily, by comparison...married runners with young kids, you rule!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ghostrider wrote (see)

i run three times a week,

. I live and breath running, but i also plan my running schedule, sometimes weeks in advance, so i know its going to have the least impact on my home life.

Cripes man, if you "live and breathe" running, and can only factor in 3 runs a week you must be frustrated as anything for most of the week!

Must have a pretty busy life to have to plan those in weeks ahead as well! image

• Flo Po wrote (see)

I feel exactly the same way don't do well in the heat. I also don't do well in the mornings so long for dark cold nights...

I did 10 this morning too a lot slower than you but it was nice and cloudy.

Roll on the Autumn!

Mind you off to the Olympics later and as my run is out of the way I will have the sunshine back now.image

Stevie G . wrote (see)
    Ghostrider wrote (see)

i run three times a week,

. I live and breath running, but i also plan my running schedule, sometimes weeks in advance, so i know its going to have the least impact on my home life.

Cripes man, if you "live and breathe" running, and can only factor in 3 runs a week you must be frustrated as anything for most of the week!

Must have a pretty busy life to have to plan those in weeks ahead as well! image

I'm a staff nurse who often does 7 shifts in a row, and a mixture of lates and earlies, and then have to fit in child care which we struggle with due to both our shift patterns. Unfortunately i do have a busy life, but it goes with a job, that i live and breath too...

I only do three runs a week, since if i do more, i struggle with ankle trouble, not helped by being on my feet all the time with work...

• practice nursing is the way to go- much more sociable, best thing I ever did for family life.image

• It's so good to know that I'm nto the only one who's got this issue but I could really do with a pick-me-up. Trouble is my partner isn't a complete non-runner. When we met we would run about the same pace and same distances (3 miles ish). I put running on hold for 6 months to finish an OU course but really got back into it around November. He runs but sees it as something he "has to do" to keep in shape and he now runs much faster than me. We run parkrun "together" and are both members of the same running club although he tends to only go to speedwork sessions.

He's not into races or increasing his distance and has said he finds talking about running really boring. He says he's proud of me but has twice asked me to not go to a race I've booked a place on in order to go to a family event. He doesn't see a race as a "good excuse" or one he's comfortable giving for my absence.

We've had rows about it and I don't know what to do about it. I was hoping to do my first marathon next year as well as a couple of other races, all for charity and I'm terrified he will ask me to give up one of those.

• I'm lucky to have a supportive OH, but also find time to run from work at lunchtimes, to run to and from work if I want a longer run. I also don't work on Mondays, so tend to do long runs then and spend Sundays with the family. The only time it really inpinges is my Saturday morning parkruns, which are usually followed by fairly lengthy jollies in the cafe, when I have races or when the kids are on holiday (thankfully now over for this year). There are compromises to be made and changes to your lifestyle you can make.

• Vikki Roberts wrote (see)

It's so good to know that I'm nto the only one who's got this issue but I could really do with a pick-me-up. Trouble is my partner isn't a complete non-runner. When we met we would run about the same pace and same distances (3 miles ish). I put running on hold for 6 months to finish an OU course but really got back into it around November. He runs but sees it as something he "has to do" to keep in shape and he now runs much faster than me. We run parkrun "together" and are both members of the same running club although he tends to only go to speedwork sessions.

He's not into races or increasing his distance and has said he finds talking about running really boring. He says he's proud of me but has twice asked me to not go to a race I've booked a place on in order to go to a family event. He doesn't see a race as a "good excuse" or one he's comfortable giving for my absence.

We've had rows about it and I don't know what to do about it. I was hoping to do my first marathon next year as well as a couple of other races, all for charity and I'm terrified he will ask me to give up one of those.

I am a mouse i admit. I dread telling my other half about my next event, since she doesnt understand, i need my fix, that goal to aim towards. that next race, the buzz of meeting other racers, getting ready, feeling your adrenaline kicking in, as the start of the race draws nearer. I am doing my first marathon next year, and i admit, i put off telling her for ages, i was doing it, since she knew it would mean longer times out. Her reaction wasnt so great, and i had to stop myself from having a big row with her.

Hang in there Vikki, since you are not alone. As long as you are fitting in family time, like i do, then he has no case. Its not like your racing every week, and runs you can fit in around other people. It just means getting up earlier i suppose..

Actually my OH knows my running schedule up till April next year in terms of races. My first marathon is the Sussex marathon. Look it up.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Vikki Roberts wrote (see)

It's easy to comment from afar...but surely it depends what you class as a "family event".

If it's a wedding/big birthday/major get together, then yes perhaps a race is a bad excuse to miss it.

However, those kind of events would surely have been planned ages ahead.

If he just classes a weekly trip round to the Inlaws as a family event, then he needs to lose the possessiveness and get a grip. You didn't sign your life away on getting with him

• Stevie G, said it better than i could...the above is spot on...