Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Must be! But tough or not, they're miles in the bank (and a cheeky hobnob with my cuppa earned) image

• Six miles tonight!....JUST under completing my first 10k! image

Wish I'd ran round the block one more time!

Couple of quick questions for y'all.

Do you reckon a 10 mile bike ride on the days between my runs is okay? Or should I rest my legs really?

Any dietary advice? I've been on a weight loss regime for a good while now and I still avoid carbs most of the time. ...... any advice on staying strong and able to train and improve my stamina whilst losing a bit of weight thru not eating loads of grub?

• Curly 45: I see your on this thread. Wishing you the best of luck.

• Getting close to Brighton next April.

• Wished I could have run it again.

• How's Fat Budda???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Spen: not been on this thread for a while, how did year's Ultra go, and out of interest, what was the time last year and distance?????????????????????????????????

• toby: hope your sub 4 goes well next April, or will you be busy?????????????????????????

•  S/R thanks i hope it goes well like you Spens not running Brighton this year i havn't heard from in for a while he was on a couple of the other threads i was on i think his Ultra went well but to be honest i can't remember what time he got

• Frustrated today.  Set out for 6 mile run, asking Toby to set pace at 13.5 min miles but struggled like anything.  Had trouble breathing and had to give up after 3 miles.  Not a particularly good training session today.

• Dont let this one session get you down pooh bear ..sometimes things just dont go right or feel right ..you were right to stop...put it behind you and tomorrow is another day....besides look how far youve come since april.. bloody amazing you are !!image

• Afternoon all

went out with the Poohbear today the idea was for her do a 6 mile run at race pace with me pacing her she was aiming for 13m/m but we had to give up after 3.5 it never went well from the word go first her legs hurt then it was to hot then she was having trouble breathing

In the end we decided it was not worth going on with it and came home looking at the 3.5 miles we did the run took us 47:51 with an Avg pace of 14:05

• Good to see you're still there GF. You have got to be fit for fourth BM, the cameras will need you!!!image

• poohbear, I think Yvonne has said it all really, but just to reiterate, sometimes it's right to stop. I've done that myself on a few training runs over the years, and in the long term, I've not regretted it. You've still made brilliant progress !!!! image

p.s. Nice to hear from Solent Runner and Yvonne again. hope you're both keeping well.image

Waves to all imageimageimage

• poohbear..at least you got out for a run...my planned 6 miler has not surfaced today due to.a horrendous cold. was contemplating going anyway but i am lipped up in bed as i know it wouldn't have done me any good. As Juggler has said sometimes its right to stop...or in my case not even start!
  • Thanks Poohbear/Sarah.

I've found that the running I have done over the last few days has, if anything, helped alleviate the remaining knee pain.  In fact, the knee feels wonderful for the first few hours after the run!  All my running has been at recovery pace on a treadmill (due to the shock absorbtion and lack of downhills!).

After a five mile run today, I'm hopeful that I can soon be running more normal mileage.

• Ah thanks juggler i always try and catch up with this thread as its one of my followed ones you can bookmark...me myself, along with the mad toby 3 have decided on a 3 in a row half marathon bonanza...bristol ,cricklade and then swindon... although toby is going one better than me and doing gnr on the 16th sep too ...so training like a demon at the moment and really enjoying it ..have kept my word and not entered brighton next year but if i dont get into london then im coming on down to support everyone and cheer like a mad thing...

• Thanks Yvonne and Juggler.  I know I have made good progress already, it is just sometimes it all gets me down when I know I can do better, felt bad as I had specifically asked Toby for help and felt I had let him down.

Gemgemx  - hope your cold gets better.

Tenjiso - glad your knee is beginning to get better.

• Morning all

well just under a week now to the GNR can’t wait and only 3 more nights at work as I’ve taken Thursday night off as there coming to collect us between 9and 9:30 on Friday morning so we can pick the car up and go straight from the car rental place

will do a couple of shortest runs this week just to keep the legs turning over disappointing news apparently Mo’s drop out and they say it’s because he never had time to put the training in

i hindsight i think going for the 6 miles straight away was asking too much plus i made the mistake of letting Poohbear change her system of running instead of the run 5 walk 5 she had been doing she went for run 10 walk 5 i should have made her stick to her original run 5 walk 5 but it was her LSR not mine so i went a long

And yes to my shameimage a was i little annoyed as she usually dose 6 miles no problem and usually eats’ it up and spits it out with out batting and eye lid and no she didn’t let me down

• We all have bad days Poohbear otherwise the good runs wouldn't feel so good image Hope you are able to crack on with training again!

• I feel your pain Poohbear- my 9 miler was absolutely terrible- I hadn't eaten enough breakfast and didn't refuel during, so had terribly dead legs, and was back in Leeds, which is much hillier than home! image

But, chin up time for me, am doing a swim and Pilates class to get my muscles loosened off, then will attempt another run tomorrow.

• Have a relaxing swim and pilates Sarah. I managed a bike ride today so think I should be ok for my swift 3 miler tomorrow.

Poohbear when is your half marathon?

Weird that the Paralympics has finished now...quite sad!
  • gemgemx - i am doing swindon half marathon on 14 October2012

• morning all

well just 2 miles for me yesterday took me longer to get ready what with the stretches than it did to do the run same again today and tomorrow then nothing till Sunday

• At last - no knee pain while going downstairs! image  Yesterday evening I ran four miles "sandwich" - 1m @10:30 2m @ 8:30 1m @ 10:30  Gradually starting to inject a bit of pace into the runs again.

I won an award from Run Britain for my handicap improvement last month.  They sent me a set of headphones, which is a nice bonus for my efforts.  image  

• super..Tenjiso.

just 3 miles today...not feeling 100% still but generally better and managed to keep to a 9.30 pace.....thats a fast session for me.

bike tomorrow then a couple of 4 milers before Sundays 7 miler.
  • well done on picking yourself back up gem! Always hard to do when you've been feeling groggy image

well done for your prize, Tenjiso!

to say pilates and swimming felt very gentle, my abs and glutes are aching today! am going to put a regular pilates session in to get some core strength image and later today am going to go for a steady 3 miles, I think!

• Well, to say I was very unenthusiastic, the 3 miles this afternoon was the best run I've had in a long time! It felt steady and strong, and when I checked my pace at the end, it was an average of 9:20- with some hills! I feel like I've found my mojo after Sunday's disaster and am now looking forward to the rest of the week running image

• Better training session today - 6 miles on treadmill - 15 minute mile pace - jog 15 mins/walk 5.  Should have just been 5 miles but felt able to go on the extra mile.

Glad to hear your knee is getting better Tenjiso, also well done on award.

Glad you are beginning to feel better Gemgemx.