oh bugger, another fat newbie.....

Comments

• Planning on following intermediate plan and like Mrs Digger looking for structure and although z2 feels painfully slow I feel I am getting gradually fitter and building up a base dont have a hope in hell in completing the swim sets mindimage

• I think Z2 will feel slow for along while but then it all starts to work   image

• oh Yes.

A really solid turbo session ~ managed a good 40 mins in L2, spinning 90rpm+/-5

need to get that into a habit, with an hour at a time...

3 Mile run tomorrow, looking forward to it ( does that mean I need a 'special' doctor ?)

9 weeks to go to my first event and a decision on Outlaw2013 image

• Every triaflete needs a special doctor !
  • IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

6:30 scheduled time. As you said earlier, I don't recall just finish going much beyond 5 hrs.

Fink "Just Finish" tops-out at a 5-hr bike. "Intermediate" goes up to 5:30. Even the "Competitive" tops out at 6 hours, Cat, but that just shows how gnarly you are, mate. Fink's Just Finish plan really works. If you have the sort of learning style that's happy with doing what you're told and keeping things simple, it's ideal.

And there's nothing in the rules, Sarge, that says you have to like running. Or swimming. Or, erm, biking for 7 hours. Iron distance is horrible but you get a nice t-shirt image

• I liked the simple structure to Fink and sort of adapted it to suit myself, ending up with a mixture between "Just Finish" and Intermediate.

I did no Z4 on my bike cos I couldn't, it hurt too much. But I did several  6hr - 7hr rides.

I did manage most of the running Z4 stuff. And threw in an April marathon for good measure.

Didn't really do the swim sets (I was still having my 1 to 1 lessons for a lot of the plan), so I made up the swimming bit.

In other words, just do loads of biking, running and swimming in that order, and you'll be fine imageimage

• slowerthanilook wrote (see)
    IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

6:30 scheduled time. As you said earlier, I don't recall just finish going much beyond 5 hrs.

Fink "Just Finish" tops-out at a 5-hr bike. "Intermediate" goes up to 5:30. Even the "Competitive" tops out at 6 hours, Cat, but that just shows how gnarly you are, mate.

Only 5:30. Pah!

I think my in-saddle time on the Chiltern 100 was at least 8:30! image

• Should my feet ( toes and ball theirof ) be cold after 40 mins of turbo ?

Maybe the shoes were tight or maybe i need new shoes ?

Maybe it was the locale - 10deg ?

Too tired to run alst night. New job, long hours or lazyitous.

Will be running tonight and maybe another turbo torture session

Hoping to get some pooltime with the local clubs on sun and/or monday
  • Need to go out on bike - soooo tired! 

• Another crappy run....need to get my head sorted
  • Don't worry too much about crappy running, jumping off the bike and running feels pretty crappy regardless of your skill level!

• Lots of time. Don't start beating yourself up this early. Baby steps. You will have nothing left if you mess up your head now
  • Not quiting, just revisiting what made it work and what changes to make it miserable. Still did 35mins or so l2+

Need to drop the pace and stay l2, need to switch to am pre work commute ( and avoid eating before running - its uncomfortable even afyer waiting 90mins )

Rest hrt dropping- was 82 now 74. im topping at 172 even at pace in the run ( too high but 12pts lower than whwn i started).

Need to take a little step back and continue to build it up to a 5k distance run ready for my first event in nov and a decision on iron or (not)

Bike tonight, sat off and swim on sunday ...
  • slowerthanilook wrote (see)
    And there's nothing in the rules, Sarge, that says you have to like running. Or swimming. Or, erm, biking for 7 hours. Iron distance is horrible but you get a nice t-shirt image
    Love this. image

• Im only in it for the t shirt image
  • Aren't we all (and the claim we are training so hard I can drink all the Guinness I want without getting fat !)
  • So, does ironman uk sell out fast or not?

Seems outlaw goes in a couple of months?

Need to get my commitment made to secure that bhag moment
  • IMUK? Not really. Can usually still get in 3 months before. It's not a popular race on these forums but I think it's better than it was. 

I'd expect cold feet in 10 degrees out in the open but not in the garage on a turbo. 

• Outlaw, iron uk or challenge henley...?

Is their. 70.3 somewhere near may ( following fink ... A 70.3 before im )?
  • Outlaw. Swim sighting is peasy, aim for the big yellow blob in the sky on the way up the lake.

• Another turbo session straight ut of the manual, 40mins l2 @ 90rpm

Worked up a sweat but not out of breath? Legs a bit stiff first half but ok later, feet cold - shoes are too tight across the ball of foot. ( load carrying has spread my toes ! Lol )

So, i need to add 2mins to each session and make sunday omg o'clock my road work session next week.

May try running tonight and resting tomorrow

Paper copys of fink and hank should arrive today so plenty bedtime reading

Resting pulse might by 64 ! Down from a high of 80 ( wake up, monitor on, sit down and relax but not back to sleep ). Still a fat pig though image lol
  • Morning Sarge. I've annoyed myself this week, work got in the way of training. So I sympathize, sounds like you remain positive. Always good to have a focus. I'm off for a relay run with dogs again shortly. Bike tomorrow, hopefully not as foggy. Have a top weekend all!

• Sgt - that is a massive fall in your resting hr, well done

MrsD - yeah, work has scuppered my training this week too, and to be honest I feel exhausted at the moment so not doing the planned bike ride. Must do my long run tomorrow though, with a marathon coming up I see that as the priority of my training. the tris that are coming up are going to suffer from my lack of biking though!

• Dustboy wrote (see)

Outlaw. Swim sighting is peasy, aim for the big yellow blob in the sky on the way up the lake.

I followed your instruction to the T Dustboy.

Why did everyone turn right leaving me alone? (not a joke).

• Ive got loads of travel&hotels comming up. Made sure that they a) have a gym, b)have my home made trx trainer ready c) found a swimming pool nearby.

Plan is to run on checkin,run in morning pre breaky and/or swim. Dont fancy using a stationary bike much image
  • You missed the green filter light they put on the bottom telling you to turn right?

• SgtLard wrote (see)
    Ive got loads of travel&hotels comming up. Made sure that they a) have a gym, b)have my home made trx trainer ready c) found a swimming pool nearby.

Plan is to run on checkin,run in morning pre breaky and/or swim. Dont fancy using a stationary bike much image

I travelled a lot during Outlaw training, and it was some of the best quality weeks. I found I had to get in from work, dump my bag then run, or else I'd never make it out.

Did a lot of time on the stationary bikes. Not junk milage sitting there, but using an audio workout (see Chrissie Wellington's pyramid sessions on Audio Fuel). Sweating buckets on a gym bike followed by a run through reception in to the cold for a 15 min brick.

Early morning swims are so much easier when all you have to do is go down to the hotel pool. If the pool is off-site I would often go direct from work and run in the morning.

I used to put the bike in the car, but it was hassle.

• One of Holgs mates tells the story of arriving at his hotel mid evening and finding a guy on his turbo in the car park !

Prior to The Outlaw I was away every week for a couple of months did loads of running and a few swim sessions at the local pool...

Basically work gets in the way of training. And then they dumped me the day before The Outlaw. Thanks guys (not)
  • I am really tired this week too had a lousy week of working nights Monday and Tuesday off Wednesday, days Thursday and Friday, and nights tonight and off tomorrow had to really push myself to train but have managed 2 swims 2 runs and a bike today (fell off unclipping) and planning to bike tomorrow

Figure if I can get through this week and train 6 days next week back on days will be easy by comparison as my body clock doesn't even know what day it is

• decided to read this thread for the first time......image

Sgt Lard...  I have mucho respect for your enthusiasm.
    Lots of wise words already have been said, if you are consistent over x months, then your fitness will return.