"Anxiety attack"

a colleague of mine has failed to turn up to work today as a mate of his has suffered an "anxiety attack".

What sort of things make you anxious (supporters of Liverpool FC need not reply)

Comments

• Who do you work for? How can you get a day off because one of your mates has had an anxiety attack?image I hope you are not in the Public Sector and I am not contributing to his wage!

I get anxious about how my taxes are being spentimage.

• Erm, my mate is on holiday, does that mean I can be too?

(this may back fire as I work for myself and this request has made me anxious)
  • Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

Who do you work for? How can you get a day off because one of your mates has had an anxiety attack?image I hope you are not in the Public Sector and I am not contributing to his wage!

Bloody public sector workers! image

• Don't judge too harshly .. we may not have heard all the story ... for instance the friends anxiety attack may have been over the fact that they can't find the keys to the handcuffs that were deployed to chain your colleague to the bed ... hence him not being able to turn up for work !

You see there's always a logical explanation for these things !

• Graham "legs in threads" wrote (see)

What sort of things make you anxious  

having to turn up for work in the morning.

• Bruce - brilliant - that must be it - unless any one else can come up with any better suggestions?

Skinny, Rickster & Bruce - we're actually a large plc firm although a lot of our largest clients are in the public sector - anyway shouldn't you all be hard at work rather that wasting time on here?

• Suppose it being a sunny Friday had nothing to do with things !
  • Rickster wrote (see)
    Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

Who do you work for? How can you get a day off because one of your mates has had an anxiety attack?image I hope you are not in the Public Sector and I am not contributing to his wage!

Bloody public sector workers! image

I know, almost as bad as "Chavs, Layabouts & Dole Scroungers" don't you think Rickster (NottsRunner). image

• things that make me anxious (oh god...here I go)

• snow
    • ice
    • crowds
    • new people
    • food I've not eaten before
    • running out of shampoo (I know, that one is weird)
    • traffic jams
    • the thought I'll lose fitness
    • the thought I'll gain weight overnight
    • having another seizure......

so....a fairly stupid list and now I look like a neurotic weirdo.

• You know you'll be quite blas?? about the bantered about term anxiety attack until you've had one for real. Totally not funny. I wouldn't wish it on you. (well maybe the once so you can feel the full fear of it)
  • Well yes, but not turning up for work because your mate has had one? Seems a bit weak to me.

• gingerfurball wrote (see)
    You know you'll be quite blas?? about the bantered about term anxiety attack until you've had one for real. Totally not funny. I wouldn't wish it on you. (well maybe the once so you can feel the full fear of it)

I second that one gfb - only ever had 2 in my life, but they were enough to make me very scared. Fingers crossed I never ever have another one.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    You don't know the history so who are you to judge? The first time my housemate had an anxiety attack they physically couldn't handle it and I had to stay to make sure they were ok. Admittedly I wasnt late for work but I can understand why you would to leave someone that was in such a state.

From my side - things that make me anxious:

- heights
  • Oh god Emmy - Heights!! not so much anxious as downright terrified.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    @mima - I can "manage" heights but I don't choose them for fun.... Saying that I'd rather jump out of a plane than go bungee jumping again.
  • Muttley wrote (see)

Well yes, but not turning up for work because your mate has had one? Seems a bit weak to me.

The english language does not do it itself favours with terms like 'anxiety attack'. People who do not not know what it is really about should not pretend that they know what it is about and make jokes about Liverpool fc.

If your mate lost his vision and was incapacitated, it would not be unreasonable for a mate to help out. Perhaps you should start by asking how badly someone can be affected rather than starting off with your personal  definition of anxiety, and then extrapolationg from there

Perhaps we should shoot people who claim them have an anxiety disorder. That strategy worked out really well in the first world war, did it not?

• It made people in the second world war less likely to have one
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I think everyone's experience is different and unique. What happens for one person may not happen for everyone. I only know what happened to my friend. A friend who couldnt stand up, couldn't breathe or say any words. She couldn't move and she needed someone there to calm her down, to help her when she needed it. I was glad that I was there.
  • My work allows people to take carers leave to look after friends if that person doesn't have anyone else who can do it. Given that not everyone has family or a partner it makes sense.

I had to pull out of a work thing recently because of an anxiety attack. Only time it's happened and I hope it's the last. I was absolutely mortified to have to do it, but my bosses were very understanding. I would have been about as much use as someone with projectile vomiting or a migraine.

• bos1 wrote (see)
    Muttley wrote (see)

Well yes, but not turning up for work because your mate has had one? Seems a bit weak to me.

The english language does not do it itself favours with terms like 'anxiety attack'. People who do not not know what it is really about should not pretend that they know what it is about and make jokes about Liverpool fc.

If your mate lost his vision and was incapacitated, it would not be unreasonable for a mate to help out. Perhaps you should start by asking how badly someone can be affected rather than starting off with your personal  definition of anxiety, and then extrapolationg from there

Perhaps we should shoot people who claim them have an anxiety disorder. That strategy worked out really well in the first world war, did it not?

Heh, feel free to respond to what I actually said rather than what you wish I said image

• The OP never said if the chap who didn't come into work took annual leave, compassionate leave, TOIL or what.