Morning.

Lyrics - Today I don't feel like doing anything

More good swimming Blisters!

Anyone racing this weekend?

What:          maybe a short ride, maybe nothing
Why:           being sensible, LSR tomorrow
Last hard:    not used to being sensible
Last rest:     29/8

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Morning

Yesterdays lyrics: 'What you're proposing !' by Status Quo'

What: Easy session.

Nice Sat so far up here, Dry, mild, a slight wind.

Blisters: Okay why have you stuck with your job for so long ?

MissB is up doing some homework at momentimageimage

Back later

• Morning! And a beautiful one at that!

What: may have a walk
    Why: unsurprisingly a little tender after QofP yesterday, so wisdom prevails.

Lyrics: no

TR: cricket...I walk round to my local club half a mile away and watch fairly often (eldest used to play for them until he moved away)...season has been decimated though...today may well be the first day where rain hasn't caused a problem since June! Also a member at Old Trafford, but again the season has been a disaster, except for the CB40. Championship games have been moved to Liverpool, which is no good for me. Supposedly moved becasue of the pitch bedding in, but suspect it was because they had better weather at Liverpool last year and hoped for a repeat, which hasn't happened. Used to be team manager for ManchesterPrimary Schools but the organisation disbanded as due to health and safety under 11s weren't allowed to play hard ball cricket in schools. Won't be watching cricket today though as it is the first day of the hockey season and daughter has her first match for her new club.
    Are both your lads still playing? 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning - gray and windy here

What: maybe a quick dip

Why: on call and having a bit of a rest this weekend

Last hard: Tuesday

Last rest: yesterday
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Morning all

Ale/LMH it's on Thursday.  The 1st interview was in English, though they did ask me at the start which I'd prefer!!!  It was their 1st ever interview in English as well, I think they were just as nervous as me!

What: 5km race
    Why: something to do :P
    Last hard: the massage I gave my calf last night!

Have a good one all.

• "Cold immersion therapy" completed and work quiet at present.

Ale - sorry to here Old Trafford not being used. I hail from Stockport and was a student at Manchester. Takes me back to the days after exams when we went to Old Trafford - to watch England getting slaughtered by the Windies image

Emzap - have fun at the 5k (the only race I stand a chance I'd beating my wife - although it hasn't happened yet!)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

Alehouse - sounds similar to me then, club and the odd Rose Bowl trip. Season was decimated here too, I think I arranged/cancelled/rerranged enough games to have played about 25 games in a supposed 10 game U11 season for the team I run, and some of the other teams I help run also suffered similarly. My eldest is 15 he had his last season of colts this year but played adult 3rds or 4ths (he scored his first two adult 50s this year - 52 and 77*), my youngest is 11 he plays district as well as club. Do you have district ? Hants is split into 4 districts and they play the other 3 and the odd game againt districts from outside of the county through the summer. The youngest one is pretty good, he was a line and length reliable bowler but after some decent winter coaching he can bat a bit now too and scored the most runs in our U11 team this season, and top scored batting No9 in a district game. Hopefully after another winters coaching (which I am trying to organise/decide upon) he will have improved further........great days, keeps them off the streets and when they are adults regardless of where they go to college/uni/work they have a way in to a local club and all the social stuff that brings with it. Hope the hockey goes well, mine are footy in the winter.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Longest run this year 12M duly completed. Definately a game of two halves. First 8M run at 8:04 pace without getting dropped, though I knew there weren't anymore 8:04s left in the tank. In comparison the same loop last week was run at 8:25 and I was well off the back. Today's second 4M was an altogether much wearier effort being run at 8:35 and well off the back of the 8:00 group.

Pretty happy with it though as I can see where I'm heading now - hopefully in 4-6 weeks time I should be comfortable at 14-16M at 8:00 pace and can build on that.

Blisters - from yesterday, yes I am loving it. I also detect the same vibes coming from yourself with your triathlonic exploits!

Enjoy the rest of this sunny day.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

nor do I LMH! Lyrics yes!

tom nice long run

no racing for me for  awhile I think.  As my right calf seems to sieze up during any sort of faster pace, easy does it for me for a while.

what: tai chi am, lady gaga rest of the day

why: its saturday

last hard:last nights bike home, 26.2 miles in 1.56, hilly but fun

last easy: thursday

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Afternoon all. Not a clue on lyrics. For an English degree holder and a musician myself, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to words in songs for some reason.

Parkrun this morning. 5k PB again...and still no sub-20! 20.09 this time. Opted for a different pacing strategy from the blast & burnout that only got me so far. My km splits were 4.05, 4.05, 4.05, 4.00, 3.54. It's going to happen soon and you'll hear the whoop of joy when it does! Last week before a crack at 10k that replaces my HM, so a light one on the cards. Going to take a run out with a local club soon too, see how I get on.

Tom, I read your posts and you seem disappointed in yourself a lot but you're doing great from what I can make out.

Cricket chatters - as a LCCC fan I'm too grumpy to speak

Have a good weekend all.

• Was going to watch hockey but daughter won't let me...so at local cricket club on a beautiful afternoon (OH: south manny suburb beginning with D!)
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Lyrics: Here endeth a streak of one. 

Birkmyre: Within my role (I visit clients on a paid consultancy and audit basis) I book the next visit before I leave. Therefore I have a diary that is filled to capacity 6 months ahead, with some up to 12 months ahead. No two days are the same, and with the forward booking system weeks fly past and become years. 

Tom: Sounds like a good set of running to me. If there was a break between the 8 miler and 4 miler then I’m surprised that you managed to pull 8:30’s out of the bag. Double sets are about mile building, that’s all, unless someone identified lactate training as a real excuse. 

TR I actually thought that building up miles and pace was a training plan! Whether it be running, biking or swimking. 

What: 65 miles on the bike with Group 2. Fairly flat, so the plan was for peleton practice, with short turns on the front on a high rotation. After a bit we started to get the hang of it. Not quite TdF standards yet though!.

Racing tomorrow: 500m lido swim/ 15k bike/2.7k run.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    SD: what kind of musician are you - classically trained? Me, I'm a bit of one, but I need to plug my instrument into an amp!

SD: also your "I read your posts and you seem disappointed in yourself a lot" comment. I seem to provoke this response from quite a lot of people, though I really don't recognise it in myself. I don't take myself for granted and I'm always looking for ways to improve. I take a lot of satisfaction from my running efforts (by which I mean achievements - but that's bragging isn't it?) but my ability to do better is hampered by my mental and physical shortcomings.There's no point in deluding one's self as to one's abilities - you are what you are and have an obligation to use your best efforts to improve on that.

I'm just like everyone else, I take enormous pride in my achievements and regret my shortcomings. But that is tempered by a fundamental believe in being "modest in victory and gracious in defeat"

Right....I'll take my head out of my arse now.
  • Blsiters: Cheers re explaining your job.

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Hello all.

5km was not good.  It was too hot here and I just wasn't prepared for that.  Watch didn't start, so not really sure on time.  It was 3 laps of a slightly undulating course and those little uphills nearly killed me.  I did finish fast though, enough that I was almost sick when I finished!  Doubt results are up yet.  Now need to find another to enter to make myself feel better!

Have a good one all.

• It will have been a good training effort if nothing else emzap.

Congratulations on another PB 7d.

Glad you achieved your aim Tom.

Blisters - that's a big ride the day before a race, even in a group. Hope you have a good one tomorrow.

I don't know what's wrong with me - went out for a social ride with Mark as a way of enjoying the good weather and the fact that our weekends aren't totally consumed with training just now but my poor legs were absolutely empty. Not achey just with nothing in them. Thought it might ease in a couple of miles but it didn't so I ended up with one of the hardest and slowest hours rides I've done. Just hope I can find some life in them for tomorrow's LSR.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    LMH - sorry you had a hard day. I guess the best approach is not to worry about why but just to accept that "for whatever reason" tomorrow will be different.....failing that, of course, there's always the day after tomorrowimage
  • I think you're quite right Tom. If I start tomorrow's LSR worried about how difficult it's going to be I'm unlikely to have a good one am I? Will eat and drink plenty this evening, hope to sleep better and set off with a positive attitude in the morning. If all else fails there is run/walk to resort to cos I will have my 20 miles one way or another. When is West Pinchbeck 10k by the way and is the course very wind affected?

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

well battled emzap

good PB 7D

Me... parkrun in 20:28 used it as progressive run... 7:01, 6:41, 6:22 image as then went on to do the Test Way Relay leg 6....

what a blast 5.71m.... the heat was a killer but good run with very consistant splits. 6:35, 6:36, 6:35, 6:33, 6:29, 4:44 (6:42), team came 5th mixed team from 11....

Take care

• LMH - sounds like you probably need a rest more than anything.

Tom - I play guitar and sing, if only I could play a proper instrument. And fair enough on your response, just don't want you to beat yourself up needlessly - not that you are.

Emzap - been there, nightmare run, best forgotten about as quick as possible.

• RFJ - great splits, pouring it on through miles 4 and 5 there.

• ale - I was born just other side of East D (HM), so know D well. My sister and dad are still there. Also worked at W'ton, when it still had a hospital.

emzap - I don't do hot either. 20C was too hot for most in local HM

7D congrats on a PB because that's what it is image

Tom I may now have run longer than 12m but never at 8:04 pace even for part - well done, especially for the last 4 milesimage

• Evening!

Lots to comment on! Well done RFJ, and nice attitude Emzap. That's not a shabby run, either, Tom!

7D: well done...I not only note the choice of venue, but I so nearly went...however it was such a nice morning I sat in the garden with the paper. If you have a look at 30th on Power of 10 (a club mate) you will see he has dipped under 20 a few time recently...and you beat him! I think you could go quite a bit faster on that course, now that you know it. Its quite quick, but not the fastest, especially with unfamiliarity as it is one of the most complicated about!

OH: I've been a member at OT for about 20 years, but as a kid I was a member at Grace Road. Did you do any sport at Man Uni? I went there too (several decades before you I suspect!) and am still involved with the cross country club. Was in HM last night (Griffin and Crown!)...small world. If you are ever in the vicinity there is now a parkrun from Burnage Rugby Club, which, of course, is in HM! TocH rugby club and the river are at the end of my road. Small world!

Cricket: pleasant and warm...but by the time I got there my team had been skittled out for 75 and the other team played rather patiently to knock the runs off. Then I went for a walk and felt pretty good so included 6 x 40 seconds "run", which was probably the same pace as my walk!

• ale Was at Man Uni 79-82 (so probably not several decades after you). This was as part of a split course between St Andrews and Manchester. The time I was at Manchester "Uni" was mostly spent at hospitals in S Manchester (and Kirkcaldy!) so not really part of uni proper. Brother works in Dept Education there (TESOL). 
    However, I'm not a serious competitive athlete and never have been. Only started running in about April 2011.
    The Crown is at bottom of my father's road - Now rather live far from a pint of Robbie'simage

• OH: meant to say that as a student I spent my first term (1972) in "digs" on Cavendish Rd, HM, and the Crown, was, of course, the first Manchester (or should that be Stockport) pub I ever went to!

• late post from me, so belated well dones on the racers (7D & RFJ) plus decent training elsewhere...
    skipped a run yesterday,was going to do an easy 3 or 4 but had to take youngest swimming training straight from work , too tired when i got home at 9. Fridays often a rest day, and that was my first for 2 weeks so no big deal..
    Today - 6 miles while youngest at this mornings (swim) training then took her to hurdles session while eldest had debut for ladies hockey team (3rds) , found it a bit tough going but didnt disgrace herself (she is one of two U15s in the team). Came home for hedge trimming, weeding & general garden stuff.  
    finished with a BBQ and a thoroughly deserved magners (or two, or three...)
    lyric - i think I do  

• ale Small world indeed!

Busy family day Dustin