RW Forum Six - 3.30

Comments

• Afternoon All,

What a lovely sunny day it isimage  I went for a 5mile easy run today after yesterdays rest day and I'm pleased to say I'm back, no aching legs ect. I did the first and fifth mile on road and the rest off road, I didn't plan it that way, I saw a walking sign and decided to follow it. I just ran on feel, stats: 9:07, 8:54, 8:57, 8:38, 8:21  Hopefully I can start to put more mileage and mp runs in over the next few weeks. I need to wait for "The Boss" to tell me what to do for the rest of the weekimage

Brolish well done on your track session, looks like you did them all faster than the suggested times, hopefully you will see massive improvements on your half at the weekend. Do you think that your mind set has changed which is why you are excelling at the speed sessions? Hope you stayed awake this afternoon after your run today, you are flying at the moment. What day is your half on?

Juggler glad you had a great weekend with Mrs J, I hope she is feeling well again. You're training pace looks very good with 11@7:35mm. Good luck with your course.

FRTC I love your red mist quotes and how positive you are when it comes to running, I think your positive attitude is rubbing off on me so keep it coming. Such a great race and race report as always, it will be interesting to see what times you get in road races.

SS Glad you were able to see the physio so quickly, lets hope it is the orthotics that need changing and that all will be ok again. In the meantime can you still do your spin class? and of course your core work?  I'm glad you have decided to just do one marathon, I think if you can cope with high mileage(Brolish) then two marathons in a year is fine but if not just the one a year. Marathon training does drain your body more than you think, I'm not sure how ultra runners cope! Congratulations on your essay yippee.

Hopefully will have the rest of this weeks training tonight so I will let you know, I have asked for long runs and mp runs yikes!!!!!!!!

• SSheep- great news on the essay front- whoop whoop! Sounds like a good idea to have a look at the orthotics with the physio, hopefully it works.  At least it's not the same issue... I think you're right to concentrate on London.  You can do Dubai some other time and it will give you some time to sort out your leg and takes the pressure off of trying to train in the heat.

Gazelle- yey, you're sounding positive againimage.  Hope you get all the LSRs and MP runs you asked for and more (you might regret having asked for them...lol).

• Gazelle, I have a road race Sunday! 10k. Really flat too. Aiming for sub 42 again.

I have ordered some racing flats, maybe give them a few half mile intervals to try on Saturday with club peeps.

Oh, I have a good article for you, about being positive.. will post.

Forgot Brol was doing a half at the weekend. Oh exciting.

Speed Sheep, doh. sorry to hear things not 100% and Dubai off now. I much prefer a slower long term buildup though, aim for a half perhaps after 10k and really build carefully for April?

Juggler missed the 11@7:35.

Speed strength tonight for me, then something tomorrow TBA.. maybe 10@ MP to help Mike, though I might have another 4 with Mrs FRC after to do. Then rest mostly till Sunday.

• Gazelle, great to hear you're feeling back to your usual self image  Fantastic!!  Yes, I can still do spin, although I have to be careful as I get pain when I stand up on the bike (soleus is engaged in bent knee exercise, thus when it is straightened is when the pain will occur) but it's only small amounts and it was a lot less in last night's class.  So core and spin is cool, I will do a 30 min run tomorrow and see how it goes.

Brolish, I've switched my thinking round to using Dubai as a training run for Two Oceans in 2014 image  And also, that means I can enter the 10k and either race it or run with OH and his friend for moral support, which would be a really nice thing to do.

FRTC, this weekend's looking exciting for forum runners!  I hope the racing flats help image

Nothing planned for me today, I've got a packed schedule of being a lady who lunches and then dines so I've no idea whether I'll be able to make it to the gym as I've also got some revision to get on with image

• Sorry everyone, I meant next weekend for my half, not this coming one.  It's on 16th September (next Sunday). I would really like to end up with something starting with 1h36ximage.

SSheep- I like the idea of treating Dubai next year as a training run for the Two Oceans.  I might be tempted to join you!image Enjoy all the launching today- no alcohol involved still?image

FRTC- exciting stuff about this Sunday's race.  I think however that 42min might be a bit of a soft target judging by all the 5mm you've been knocking out. How about under 40min?imageimage

Gazelle- so what's the plan for the rest of the week?  Did you get what you wanted?

• Afternoon, another good run for me today, 6mile easy, the further I went the quicker I got so I had to rein myself in a bit on the last two miles, splits are: 9:09, 8:48, 8:23, 8:23, 8:33, 8:44.. I have a 12mile progressive run tomorrow 3mile warm up, 3@7:45, 3@7:35, 3@7:25 I'm looking forward to itimage If all feels ok I will be doing a 20miler on Sunday, it's seems so long ago that I ran that far.

FRTC I'm with Brolish sub 42????? Not that we want to put you under pressure or anything, what about 41:30 or under??? What time does the race start on Sunday? Looking forward to the Positive articleimage 

SS it sounds hard being a lady of leisureimage 

Brolish, Double and triple check the date of your race, we wouldn't want you to turn up on the wrong date lol. Keep thinking positive and I'm sure you will smash your target.

• Okay, I am looking at mid 41s. I just squeezed sub 42 last time by 3 seconds, 41:57 on June 10th. creepy. thats exactly 3 months on, 12 weeks. this weekend.. Sept 9th.

Assuming conditions are good, 41:30-42:30 should be do-able. I usually think of an A, B & C targets, (although for the 10 miler it ended up a double A by the end) image

Positive thinking article here ,

Fighting Talk: Find Your Mantra

Convince yourself you’re invincible and you’ll be clocking PBs like nobody’s business.. (Gazelle & Brol! )

it was in a runners world post a few weeks ago, but has some good sections. and also related to the whole runners world DBS phrase that I don't like. how to convince yourself mentually.

Gazelle, sounds like you're getting back into it, just take it careful.

• Gazelle- wow your progressive run looks tough! I'm sure you'll nail it.image

I had a very good run this morning.  Out of the door before 6am.  Was supposed to do the usual 3m warm up + 1m@ MP and then 5x (1.25m@ 7:25-7:35/ 0.25m @ easy) +cd.  It added up to 13m.

1.25m reps were 7:25, 7:20, 7:18, 7:16, 7:13.  Whoop whoop! It atually felt more comfortable with each rep (strangely) and I wasn't completely knackered by the end.  I also borrowed Mr B's garmin which is almost brand new and I could hear it beeping which helped.  Not sure he's getting it back!image I'm excited about the half next week.image

Happy Friday!

• Brolish woop woopimageimageimage Practice makes perfect what a great session you have had and a great couple of weeks worth of running, we are all excited about your half, just don't go off like a bat out of hell..... Nice new watch you have lol.

The stats on my watch make great reading if only my mind was in the same placeimage I stopped just before 6 miles and was asking myself was it worth all this effort, I even spoke to Hubby the other day and I was suggesting not doing the marathon!!! Anyway I zipped up my lady suit and got on with the run. Not sure why I have these moments whilst halfway through a session, when I was training for London I had it in my head from day one that I would hit 3:30 I told everyone one I met that I was going to finish under 3:30, this time I just don't know what to aim for. I need to get it in my head that I'm not going to knock big chunks of time off my races from now on, I think that was my problem last Sunday, after the first mile realising that I was way off pace so I basically jacked it in.

Anyway back onto today I finished the 12miles in 1:33, if I had carried on for one more mile and gone faster in the first mile I would of beaten last Sunday's race timeimage Splits were, warm up then 7:44, 7:43, 7:40, 7:32, 7;34, 7:34, 7:23, 7:22, 7:22     I think marathon target needs to be about 3:23 which is 7:45mm and will be a 6minute pb. What do you think?? I think 7:55mm and under would be great for all 26.2miles. Omg imagine me when I'm tapering!!!

Hope you run went ok today SS. Good luck to FRTC for your 10k at the weekend I can't wait for the results. Hope everyone else is ok and having good runs.

P.s Sorry that I rambled on above.....

• ((Gazelle)))- great splitsimage.

I think someone needs a bit of pep talk! You can't get one race get to you so much.  Try to remember why you love running so much and how you would feel if you COULDN'T run for reasons out of your control, like being injured.  We all have crappy races and you had yours- better now than when it comes to the main event.  I think 3:20-3:25 would be a great target and judging by your splits above and other race times you should be very much capable of getting close to 3:20.  I wish I had your speed!!!  You've been doing brilliantly and you keep on improving which is the main thing.  You are going to run the marathon even if I have to go over there and drag you myself.  And you will do amazingly as always.imageimage

• Gazelle, sounds like a much better run for you. and dont worry about Ranting. All fine here, rant away. It helps me tons too.

Your little internal discussion about October marathon, chester, sounds a lot like what I was thinking in July, thunder run time. What was my motivation to do another. Next time, for me, there will be, 3:20 or even 3:15. You've got to really want it.

Sounds like you're getting there now, 3:25 and under is a good target.  Maybe 3:25/ 3:23/ 3:21 as C/B/A targets. Hmm.. reverse psychology, CBA means something positive here image

Was the article any help for motivation? Sam was the coach on the other 3:30 thread, the asics one for London marathon.

Brol, good run by you. I read the 1.25m reps as being in 7.25. and was prepared to be impressed .. for a few seconds. See we have so much faith in you. image

Nice run for me last night, helping 2 club pals with a MP run on road. 3 @ 8-8.30 warmup, 9 @ 7:45-8:00, and last mile @ 6.55 when they let me kick which I always do. Can't help it, its nice to run fast. Whole run felt really easy to me. Weird. Wouldn't have heard me say that 3 months ago.

Resting today, still unsure on whether to do circuit tomorrow, and then maybe do half of the interval session (half miles tomorrow) to test out the newly arrived racing flats. Maybe ditch the circuit and have a long snooze?

New shoes are so light! Lighter than Adizeros. 170-180g? My normal Sauconys are 320g. I may take off if not careful.

Good weekend Athletes, looks like a hot one, maybe Brol is racing? image

• Thanks for the pep talk Brolish and FRTC, I think I'm more at ease now I have a realistic time goal.

FRTC The article was good thanks, I have a 20 mile run to do on Sunday so will hopefully start to believe in myself again, saying that I may do the first 12miles of the 20miler on the trails(shhh) a few from our club are going up the Cotswolds hills so I'm thinking of joining them, I havn't ran with my club mates for ages. Nice 13mile session for you with a 6.55 last mile check you out. I would go for the snooze tomorrow you need to be well rested for Sunday. What new shoes did you buy?

• I hope you are all having a good weekend, its hot, hot, hot out there. I'm off to a party in a mo so wont be back until late! So FRTC hope you have a great race tomorrow, keep thinking positive and you will be just GGGGrrrrrrreatimage

• I'm always positive, you know me! I will be GGGGreat. Like Tony the Tiger you mean? (a relative of Tigger? image)

Race is 11am tomorrow, so should post 12pm. One running club pal came 2nd last year by 12 seconds, so hoping he can win too. Sub 35 mins for him.

Shoes are these ones. Very very light. even have drainage holes to let water drain out. Half the weight of my normal Sauconys.

Tried them today, a few miles along beach path which is part of course, then some of club 0.5m intervals. Last time I did these at 2:50-2:55 , this time 2:45-2:55 (not all flat out). Felt very good.

Enjoy your 20. Club long run is part trail and really enjoyable. Have fun Gazelle!

Waves to rest of Athletes
  • Oh you tease......................

• Me Tease ?

It does start with a ...

3 image
  • 39:26!

Think course is a little short 0.1m? but whilst flat it has different surfaces, so harder to run than just road

I have a new mantra

And also even scared the daylights of one of club super runners by catching him at 5miles... Funny. He's done 3:06 for marathons.

More later.

Hope your 20 went well. And everyone else.
  • Great.  My browser just crashed and I lost all my post image

Basically, the upshot was great time, FRTC.  Loving the new racing flats.

Gazelle, great to hear the running mojo's back!  Get in there and give it some.

Brolish, I hope the long run in the heat went well.  I hope you took it easy and stayed hydrated.

Scuba T/Juggler, I hope you're doing OK.  Not heard from you, Scuba, for a while unless I've missed it....

Went to podiatrist today and I need new orthotics - ££££££££  Grizzly and irritated, but if it gets me back running again......  Nothing more to report, really, back to physio tomorrow and then podiatrist on Thur for a fitting.  Rest day today, spin tomorrow, core and S+C.  Same old same old..........

Oh well, we got tickets yesterday for the F1 in Abu Dhabi in November so that's something to look forward to image

• FRTC- very well done, you're getting too fast for this thread!image))
  • FRTC, BRILLIANT !!! As usualimage Superb time!!

Waves to all imageimageimage

• Wow such a great pb FRTCimage You must be so pleased with yourself, I'm looking forward to your race report.

SS Hopefully spending a little/lot on orthotics will be the key to having a successful running season, my fingers and toes are crossed for you.

I wore my new off road shoes today and they are so light. I was going to run 12mile off road and make it up to 20mile on the road,but we got carried away and ended up doing 16miles off road total gain was 572m so It was very hilly. The total running time was 2hr 48min so I decided not to do the 4miles on road as it would mean that I would be running for about 3hr 30min.  My mojo is back and I'm feeling positive againimage It's amazing how the time and miles go by when running with others I should do it more often.

How did your long run Brolish?

• Hello Juggler hope you are well.

• SSheep- hope the orthotics work, if they do they're worth all the ??????.

Gazelle- glad to hear the mojo's backimage and well done on your long run. I had a horrible run today, it was baking and I set off around 12 so much too late. Chose a rather hilly route as well around Richmond park to make sure that I have easy access to water but I really didn't need the hills in this weather! Anyway I managed 20m rather than 21 with a few water stops. It's much cooler now (typical) and is looking cooler for next week which is the main thing.
  • This is terrible. I just read on Minni's thread that Shaggy passed away on Monday. He had a heart attack.
  • oh not that is terrible. image

he was only on the other day?

absolutely gutted.

• What???  Oh good grief, that is so terrible, absolutely shocking.  Brolish, which thread is it?  I would like to drop them a quick line to say how sorry I am.