Gone off beer.

I've just gone off drinking beer. Can't be bothered with alcoholics drinks these days. Anyone else like this?

Comments

• I'm glad its not just me. Don't get me wrong, there are times i fancy going out and getting bladdered but i really have to be in the mood and half the time ill have 1 drink and think meh, id rather be in the right mood for a run the next day

• Ricardo86 wrote (see)

I'm glad its not just me. Don't get me wrong, there are times i fancy going out and getting bladdered but i really have to be in the mood and half the time ill have 1 drink and think meh, id rather be in the right mood for a run the next day

I'm pleased that it's just not me then. image

• Rickster wrote (see)

Can't be bothered with alcoholics drinks these days.

i've never bothered with alcoholics drinks.

it can be dangerous when they're willing to fight you for it.

• I'll be round your place to sympathise, and to relieve you of your unwanted stocks.

• Blisters wrote (see)

I'll be round your place to sympathise, and to relieve you of your unwanted stocks.

All you will find here is tea bags.

• Certainly getting to the stage now where im finding drinking alcohol less and less appealing. The thing with my personal drinking habits are that l smoke when l drink and thats one thing l really do want to stop.

lm also getting sick of feeling dreadful the following day and not being in any state to go for a run the next day (sometimes even the day after)

l certainly cant see me continuing to be a regular drinker for much longer. By regular l mean every Saturday. l have cut down massively since l took up running and l dont drink anything like the amount l used to so l guess it's just another transition from that.

• Alcohol inhibits fat metabolism and dehydrates you too. I find if you eat healthily and exercise then the 'toxins' in beer seem more noticeable and I feel crap.. maybe it's the chemicals in it? It's the same with processed and rich food.. makes me feel image One glass of wine with a meal is my limit now.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I'm in the process of trying to reduce my alcohol intake to (hopefully) help my running. I was actually going to post on the popular 'giving up the booze' thread, but it seems to have gone off topic a bit.

I'm fine in the week, but I'm struggling a bit on weekends when in pubs with friends with their general piss taking. However, when out I'm finding the Becks Blue alcohol free (well, 0.05% max) seems to do the job regarding taste. I bought a couple of bottles of alcohol free wine and it was horrible!!!

Are there any recommendations for alcohol substitutes when out or at home?
  • Feel free to post on the other thread Big G, we talk about all sorts, not just drink image

• Lol Blisters.

For a substitute I like a ginger cordial as it has a bit of a kick to it. Bought alcohol-free 'wine based drink' once by mistake.. It was un-drinkable! 

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I've found that when I'm running more than twice a week I really don't like the taste of alcohol or certain foods. My body just doesn't want it.... Saying that I ran a wine marathon on Saturday and capped it off with a beer... :/
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Cinders.

Feral - is that ginger cordial with soda water?

Emmy_Bug - I have the opposite problem. For me, alcohol goes with any food (apart from cornflakes....image). In all seriousness though, I don't think I've gone in a pub and ordered a soft drink for 20 years, but breaking the habit hasn't been too bad over the last couple of weeks. I had already knocked mid-week drinking at home on the head previously. I'm not going totally tea-total....it's just that I have half an eye on a half marathon in October so I thought I'd not drink alcohol up until the race to see if it helps my training etc.
  • I gave up drinking completely over 2 years ago. 

I miss the beer sometimes, especially when I'm out with the lads, but places like Wetherspoons do ok alternatives.  At home I've swopped the cider for pints of herbal tea, peppermint, camomile, etc. 

I absolutely love waking up bright and ready to go nowadays! 

• Hardly drink alcohol at all now. Just don't see the point of having a few and feeling rough the next day, especially if I was planning to do a run.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but I actually find people are quite unsupportive of not drinking alcolhol. My mates have accused me of only not drinking because I'm taking running way too seriously / obsessed with running (which isn't the case), and even my misses / parents often encourage me to have a drink at social gatherings when I say I'm not interested. Very strange.

Don't know why they are moaning - they get a designated driver most of the time now!

• legend777 wrote (see)

Hardly drink alcohol at all now. Just don't see the point of having a few and feeling rough the next day, especially if I was planning to do a run.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but I actually find people are quite unsupportive of not drinking alcolhol. My mates have accused me of only not drinking because I'm taking running way too seriously / obsessed with running (which isn't the case), and even my misses / parents often encourage me to have a drink at social gatherings when I say I'm not interested. Very strange.

Don't know why they are moaning - they get a designated driver most of the time now!

When I started uni last year as a mature student, the uni tried to make a big thing of pushing binge drinking on welcome (fresher's) week. As someone in their mid 30s I didn't bother with it, but it's rather worrying that they are focusing the fresher's week around getting drunk, especially when most of the students are impressionable 18 year olds away from home for the first time.image

• kittenkat wrote (see)
    Rickster wrote (see)
    legend777 wrote (see)

Hardly drink alcohol at all now. Just don't see the point of having a few and feeling rough the next day, especially if I was planning to do a run.

When I started uni last year as a mature student, the uni tried to make a big thing of pushing binge drinking on welcome (fresher's) week. As someone in their mid 30s I didn't bother with it, but it's rather worrying that they are focusing the fresher's week around getting drunk, especially when most of the students are impressionable 18 year olds away from home for the first time.image

Welcome to every fresher's week since time began.

It is wrong of universities to be promoting drinking like that though.

• kittenkat wrote (see)
    Rickster wrote (see)
    kittenkat wrote (see)
    Rickster wrote (see)
    legend777 wrote (see)

Yes Dad! image

I'm being serious! image

• Rickster wrote (see)
    kittenkat wrote (see)
    Rickster wrote (see)
    kittenkat wrote (see)
    Rickster wrote (see)
    legend777 wrote (see)

Yes Dad! image

I'm being serious! image

Oooooh, rectangles!  image

• PhilPub wrote (see)
    Rickster wrote (see)
    kittenkat wrote (see)
    Rickster wrote (see)
    kittenkat wrote (see)
    Rickster wrote (see)
    legend777 wrote (see)

Yes Dad! image

I'm being serious! image

They're great! image

• kittenkat wrote (see)
    Rickster wrote (see)
    PhilPub wrote (see)
    Rickster wrote (see)
    kittenkat wrote (see)
    Rickster wrote (see)
    kittenkat wrote (see)
    Rickster wrote (see)
    legend777 wrote (see)

Yes Dad! image

I'm being serious! image

They're great! image

Yes Dad!image

This is such jolly fun!

•  

legend777 wrote (see)

i reckon this is even worse when you are in scotland. no-one can understand it at all.