RW Forum Six - 3.30

Comments

• Forum 6- sub 3:30 minni vs Dubai dave

I've texted gazelle yesterday but she hasnt got back. She must be very upset. It's awful.

Yes, I'm upset but Gazelle must've been very close, 6 months of mentoring.

Hugs to all & families, running can wait for another time when it's important.

RIP Shaggy
  • They will be sorting out a donation to Shaggy's running club.  If anyone would like to join in, PM Minni.

I just can't believe it.  How can you one day be so full of life and plans for the future and positive attitude and then the next day be gone.  image

• Oh no i can't believe it someone so fit and healthy like Shaggy.

Gazelle, I hope you are ok.

• Words can not express how I am feeling at this moment, I’m numb and shocked. I have only known Shaggy for 8 months and in that short period of time he has taught me so much, not just about running but also about myself. He was so supportive of everyone and has left a great impression on so many people that he has left behind. He will be truly missed, my thoughts go out to his Wife and Son.

• Big hugs, Gazelle.  And to eveyone image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your messages. I'm at work and not much time but will reply to you all tonight re: donations etc.

Sad days.
  • Cheers Minni, I think we are all in shock the news hasn't sunk in yet. Please let me know if I can help in anyway. 

• thanks Minni, me too, donations or any help count me in.

Reduced me to tears when hearing this last night, even a bit now, so can imagine the effect on Gazelle. As for Shaggy's family and friends, my heart goes out to them.

All the progress I've made in the last 6-7 months wouldn't have happened without Shaggy's help. Getting under 3:30 in May without all the advice and pep talk - no chance. I was running & talking to someone proudly the other day about our "coach" here and his advice. That was Shaggy.

Very sad news. Just so shocked.image.

• just popping over from the other sub 3:30 thread... am in shock, like all of you.

Crying at the mo image 

Whoever sets something up please count me in for a donation. Dunno what to do or say otherwise image

• I think we're all lost for words, Chick.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I think I've PM'd everyone about donations.  If you haven't received it let me know.

x

• Just wanted to pop in from other thread to share emotions. Just so desperately sad. I know how dedicated shaggy was to helping gazelle in the spring. He was a massive contributor to our thread and just a lovely man. Many of us met him in Norwich last year. So hard to deal with.
  • Only just heard. Sad, sad news. image He was a real inspiration.

Bit lost for words really. Thoughts and prayers are very much with his family and friends.

• AA (will post this on Minni's thread too)

Shaggy helped all of us, from early Jan right through to our spring marathons April to end of May. Gazelle he mentored and spent tons of time with, but we all got time, attention, feedback.

The odd telling off, even in jest when we got a team at Thunder Run aka CakeFest. A frown or two but he was really happy we had kept going and met up.

But a lot of support, motivation. He was still posting every week or so, checking in and seeing how we were getting on. Giving little pep talks, or boosting our confidence if needed. His enthusiasm realiy helped us all.

No way would I have gone sub 3:30 without his help. can remember being thrilled seeing his post the night before I ran, and then congratulating me after the event.

Would've loved to have met and thanked him. image

I've got a club race tomorrow. I really don't know what to do. A few tears as I write this.

Life is too short. Seize the Day. Make it count?
  • Afternoon All,

Sorry I have been quiet and havn't posted, it's still a bit raw for me to handleimage My head just can't get around the circumstances. I could understand if it was a traffic accident/long term illness, but to be healthy and active and it just happen..... 

I have just got back from an emotional 5mile run, I put some upbeat music on shuffle to listen to when The Military Wife's song came on( we were both ex forces) tears were streaming down my face then all of a sudden the song stopped and changed, quite spooky!

FRTC Club race is still on, go and do it for Shaggy and the threadimage

• Hello everyone

((Gazelle)).  Spooky indeed. I'm sure Shaggy would want us to keep on running and keep on posting on here so let's keep the thread going.

FRTC- go for it indeed and be awesome as always!

• Yep, he would also want us to keep supporting each other too.  Hugs to everyone, well done on the 5 miler, Gazelle, and FRTC go smash it image

Hmm, what should I do today....?  Oh I know, what about a spin class and some core for a change image 

• Will try.image

Feel very very deflated after the highs of Sundays 10k, seems a long time ago now and not important.

One little thing, about 3 miles, I started mentally repeating to myself, Make, Every, Stride, Count.. then just Every, Stride Count. Phrase now seems very true.

May have something to post later. Was something I wanted Shaggy to see.

• Thanks for letting me know FRC what a terrible shock it is.

• Just popping by to offer my condolences
    I only had a few brief conversations with Shaggy whilst organising the Forum Six but I am  more than aware of the effect that he has had on all of you involved in these threads
    I hope his legacy lives on  image

• I have just read an message sent to my yesterday from gazelle regarding Shaggy. Really shocking to hear.

Thoughts go to this family at this time. Hope your ok gazelle!

R.I.P

• Deeply saddened to hear of Shaggy's passing.  Although I never had the privilege of meeting him personally, his online persona was of a deeply knowlegable runner who was happy to share his experience and to encourage his fellow runners.

Condolences and thoughts go to his family.

• Hi Paul and FF, hope you are both well?

Paul how is your training for Chester going? How long did it take you to get over your 48hr Thunder run?

FRTC Are you ready for your race tonight? Of course you are, don't forget to post your resultsimage

I have Just been out for a 10mile run 5mile easy and 5 mile steady, it went very well, I seem to have found a new bounce in my stepimage

Take care all.

• FRTC- good luck tonight.

Gazelle- well done on your run and getting the bounce backimage.  I have similar planned for tonight- 10 mile run with 3m easy and 7m steady with some strides.  Do you know how long your taper is likely to be?  2 or 3 weeks?

• Nice to see Paul & FF

Race was last night !  I'll post on here for now. haven't even told you about Sundays sub 40min 10k

Proper nasty race. Real lung buster. road section, then running on soft sand, occasional rocks, really had to lift your feet and work hard for what felt like hours, then climbing up steps quads aching for another road section... then second lap of the same. Full on gale, along the beach and started to rain. Not fun.

On the road, 2 other vests ahead of me, plus one of ours... I thought the end was nearer so went into top race speed thinking 0.25m to go, was actually 0.75m to go... got gee-ed up by club supporting us, shouting for us to keep going. Went past our club runner, waay faster than me.. think he got a bit of a shock and said after I'd made him work much harder. But hey, we burnt the other two off.

Last mile in 6:16 rain pouring down, Would've been a mile PB in May. Painful, body screaming to slow down but gave it everything - and thought of Shaggy.

34:45 for 4.9 miles, first mile in 6:40, last in 6:16 and all that sand in between.  Ouch. Really hurt.

Couldn't have run like this even 3 months ago. 8 months 2-3 minutes behind or given up.  Or wouldn't have even been there. Think Shaggy would've been proud?

• Gazelle - I didnt run for 4 weeks after Thunder Run. My knee was so sore. I have been doing lots of cycling to try to keep fitness. I have now been running for two weeks (with very little pain) and managed a 17mile long run saturday just gone and started speed work yesterday and followed up with 10miles this week. I still feel fit just depends if i have enough long runs in my legs. Going to try 20-22 on saturday

You ready for Chester?

• FRTC, I knew it was yesterdayimage I just checked my e-mail to you yesterday! What am I like hey. Yet another great performance, just shows how much quicker we can push our bodies at times. Don't be shy what were the splits in between? There's no stopping you.

Brolish, not sure ref taper, just know from one week to the next, sometimes it's good not to know. I did want to know how many 20+ runs that I was going to do a few weeks ago.

Paul bad news ref your knee but well done on keeping up your fitness on the bike. I have a bad half race the other week and I felt that I wasn't ready, however the last 10 days I think I have turned it around. I was thinking why am I doing this after the half but now I definitely have a reason to do itimage