RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Such terrible news. Shaggy always had such kind and constructive words of support for everyone on here, and I know I took a lot from them. Count me in for a donation.

• having trouble putting my thoughts into words just now, I never met Shaggy but the man spoke much sense and was always helpful and supportive, thoughts are with his family and count me in with any group donation.

• Really, really sad news. I too wasn't fortunate enough to have met him, but it was clear as anything just how much of a kind, friendly and supportive man he was. Such terrible news, my thoughts are with his wife and son. Count me in for a donation too. 

• I woke up in the night and thought I'd dreamt it. So so sad.
  • Count me in for a donation. I know we are not going to forget him, but maybe we could have a annual thread award in memory of  Shaggy, for the best marathon performance, not the best time but  improvement/performance in a hard race. Maybe awarded by the thread elders Minni/DD etc. 5 miles recovery this morning -  lots of thinking time.

• Just come on line and read the awful news about our friend shaggy. I really am shocked and just so sad - he was just the nicest nicest man - so supportive of everyone, a true legend.  We will all miss him on here. Definitely count me in for a donation. 

• Barry that is a lovely idea, it's made me a bit teary.
  • Barry - I think that's a great idea Shaggy would be proud of.

The Shaggy Improvement Award

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Sounds perfect.

I don't think we can set up a just giving page because it's not a charity so it looks like PayPal is the way to go. I'll sort it tonight.

I didn't sleep well either. Still feeling pretty shocked.
  • It's a wonderful idea, Barry.

• Hi, I'm from the other 3:30 thread (Gazelle).  Shaggy was not only a superb mentor in terms of Gazelle's progress, but he was brilliantly supportive to each and every one of us on that thread, no matter where we were on our 3:30 journey.  Alas, Shaggy and I tended to swap injury stories mostly, but he was still so positive not only about the setbacks he faced, but in helping me deal with mine.  My running world is a little bit darker without him in it.  My thoughts go out to his family at this difficult time, I cannot imagine how difficult it is for them right now, and also to all of you on this thread who, like us, have lost a wonderful contributor and, in many cases, friend.

I would love to contribute with a donation.  The award idea is a superb and fitting tribute and will ensure his spirit lives on in the forum.

• I'm am also from the other 3:30 thread (Shaggy v Gazelle) and want to just say how much he meant to all of us on that thread. He was so helpful and supportive, he guided us all thorough a year of Marathon training and particularly Gazelle who managed to get her 3:30 with his support. It will take some time to sink in and he will be missed by all of us and my thoughts go out to his friends and family.

Lovely idea about the Shaggy Improvement Award, and Minni I will PM you about the group donation.

• RIP Shaggy. Unbelievable, he was so fit and still relatively young. Thoughts to his family

• Barry - Great idea for the Shaggy improvement award.

I've got a 10k on the 23rd, and was thinking of some tribute to Shaggy. But black armband is a bit depressing, and I'm sure Shaggy would have preferred a celebration. Then I remembered when you all changed your profiles to 'I love shaggy' t-shirts, so I might try and get one off the Internet, and run in that.
  • simon - that is a brilliant idea. They are on amazon.

Those doing the GER - why don't we get the t-shirts to run in shaggy's memory. He would have been there with us for that race.

• Words can not express how I am feeling at this moment, I’m numb and shocked. I have only known Shaggy for 8 months and in that short period of time he has taught me so much, not just about running but also about myself.

When the London Marathon journey ended on the "other thread" Shaggy said in his words" I'm going back to my running home on Minni's thread" Shaggy wanted the best for all on here and I'm sure he will be in our thoughts for many years to come. He will be truly missed, my thoughts go out to his Wife and Son.

Simon can you post where we can buy the T-Shirts from please.

Take care All,

Gazelle

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

I've just logged back on here after a hectic wekend and cant believe what has happened.What a tragedy! I never met Shaggy but throughout our exchanges here it was obvious to me he was a great bloke-encouraging ,open and inclusive, knowledgable, positive, frank and down to earth and  funny , a great, great loss. My thoughts are with his family.I cannot even begin to think what they must be going through.

I am keen to make a donation as part of this group.Once a consensus is reached as to how to go about it let me know please.

I dont think I want to say very much more at the moment.

• Just reading all these posts has brought tears to my eyes again.

• image OMG! 

Sadly I never had the privilege of meeting Shaun in person but he was a close forum friend. He gave great advice and was simply a generous and lovable person.
    We will miss you, shaggy.

Please count me in for a donation too. I still have a UK bank account, so no problem there.

Don't know what else to say. Sat at my desk with tears in my eyes and shaking my head in disbelief image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Freemers good idea about Peterborough but it will now be a very emotional run.  I'm sure I have photos lurking on my PC that we could use.   I'm still in shock - so many memories.

I'll be in touch with everyone later about a donation fund.  Its really fitting that it's going to his running club.  I hope they will see fit to use donations to fund an annual race in his memory.  I'm sure it would be top of our forum outing list.

/members/images/46278/Gallery/IMG_0588_0.JPG

Some of the gang.

• Minni - thanks for posting that photo. I was thinking about it earlier. You are right, GER will be so emotional now, but I am really glad I have entered it and that we will have a chance to raise a toast to shaggy in his home town.
  • Gazelle - Freemers has posted a link to the t-shirts on amazon, various sizes and colours. As Shaggy was a keen cyclist aswell, (sorry for using the forbidden word minni), I'm going to order a yellow one, as everyone knows the leader of the tour de France wears a yellow jersey, and Shaggy was a great leader. They're about ??11 + ??3 p+p
  • Why doesn't it like bliddy pound signs, annoying
  • Still can't believe it image

Like the idea of the improvement award + teeshirts.
  • im absolutely gutted image 

such a kind man - so passionate on his running and coaching and always keen to help out others - even strangers on the internet!

count me in for the collection

the shaggy award is a great idea too!  

• Lovely photo Minni. Great idea re awards. Should we get the t shirt for TM as I'm not running GER but still want to do a run in his memory. Poor O4S doesn't know yet :'(
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Right folks. 

I've sent a PM to everyone who has expressed an interest in making a donation or who has contacted me direct.

If I've missed you, send me a PM and I'll forward it on.

I will keep individual donation amounts private but it makes no difference how large or how small it is because collectively we will do him proud.

• Thank you for organising it Minni.
  • Minni, just in case the PM doesn't arrive, please count me in on the donations, and thanks for organising. Must be a hard thing for you to do. image