Your tattoos..

2»

Comments

• I don't have any tattoos, as I don't much like them. I mean, I really like the odd one that I see, but for the most part they're not particularly original or particularly artistic. I do appreciate genuine body art, there's just not much of it about.

I've got loads of piercings though! image

• I have 4.  My son's name in Hindi subscript on my left forearm, two tribals (right leg and left arm) and a dragon right arm.

Love tattoos, can't wait to get my next one!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I think it's a personal choice and if that's what you want - then go ahead as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with iron wolf - don't stereotype. My best friend has an assortment of piercings and tattoos and she works as a defence consultant
  • http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/411813/gallery/Thumbs/CatherineSTattoo0407original.jpg

Posted this pic before - it's in my gallery. My one and only tattoo. The scar is real. if you can't see, it's a zip. Was just my way of reclaiming my body after surgery.

• Got my whole back done with a celtic cross and two angels which i had done about 8 years ago.  I got a wizard on my thigh i had done 21years ago, a celtic band around my ankle i got done 15 years ago and last but not least a lions head and queens crown as one on my ribs i got done 4 week ago!!

I like them!

• small wrote (see)

Nothing. I like to be unique image

I feel the same way. 

When I was a teenager very few women had tattoos, and I wanted one but could never decide what to have.  I would have been a bit different, daring, rebellious.

Around where I live now tattoos are like a uniform - so I'm glad I never got one.

• Eyes of Buddha across lower back, small celtic style Bee on right foot. thinking of getting another soon.

ironwolf - right with you!

• I've got a tramp stamp image - the trinity sign.  I got it to commemorate our 20th wedding anniversary - that was 5 years ago...I do plan more.

• I read this article a while ago and it kind of sums up how I feel about tattoos that being said I have often thought of getting a tattoo but have not bothered as of yet.................   Several years ago, it was a risky thing to do. First it was guys, braving the painful needles to have their girlfriend's name inked into their skin. Things really took off when the girls started showing up asking for things that were pretty or had some deeper meaning. But like all fads, this tattoo thing has started to show its age. Below are the top five reasons why tattoos are passé.

1 - Everyone already has one. You can't be "different" if everyone else is doing it too. The way to be different now, is to not get one.

2 - Those first in line are seeing what time does to a tattoo. Skin doesn't age nearly as well as most of us would like to imagine when we're young and feeling the surge of adrenalin at the prospect of a bright shiny new tattoo emblazoned across our healthy young skin. But now those first consignees have grown a little older; old enough to see what time holds for the not too distant future, and it isn't pretty. Tattoos fade, they grow in different directions. They lose their cache and worst of all, remind us of how stupid we were when we were younger.

3 - They never were that pretty to begin with. Let's face it, the idea of a tattoo being a pretty thing is, or was a form of mass hysteria. Sure, the tattoo looks bright and clear on a piece of paper. But you put it under your skin with a needle and it just looks drab. Seriously, it's time everyone woke up to this fact.

4 - Older people are getting them. This is a sure sign that something new is getting tired. When older people start jumping on the bandwagon you know the whole cool thing has run its course.

5 - They no longer have the stamp of rebellion. Part of the fun of getting a tattoo was knowing how much it would upset your parents, or the other people around you who would scrunch their faces in disapproval. But that's all gone now. No one cares anymore if you get a tattoo. So, why bother?

This list of the top five reasons why tattoos are passé are for those people out there who for whatever reason, have not yet gotten themselves inked and are now considering doing so. If you are one of these people, I hope this list crushes any notions you may have left on how romantic getting a tattoo might be and drops a little bit of reality into your world. Take care. Peace.

• Pass??? Fad? What a terribly Westernised one sided viewpoint that article offered. Is it quoted from a piece in 'Femail'? Wonder what the Maoris would have to say about it?

Love or loathe them, tattoos existed long before da kids made them 'street' and all the chicks got tramp stamps that were alluded to above. They have a rich cultural heritage which this article singularly fails to acknowledge.
  • That should say pass e with an accent. The iPad wants to make it a question mark instead, my apologies.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    M..o.use, to what cultural heritage does someone with love and hate inked on there knuckles belong. Of course there's a good argument if it is a cultural thing - I recall a tribe (if that's the right word) of African women who elongated there necks by wearing rings around them...not exactly common on a UK high street. The problem always with this sort of thing which may have claims to being cultural or artistic is that as soon as it enveloped in popular appeal and uptake those standards start to plumment.

PS lest there be no misunderstanding, I loathe them.
  • Your not thinking of getting one then Tom ?
  • I love all my ink, and couldn't care less what anyone else thinks of it

• Tom - hence why I said the piece was one sided.
  • The love/hate tattoo on your knuckles comes from the 1955 film The Night  of the Hunter.Love/Hate symbolizes the struggle between Good and Evil, most  memorably in the scene where Powell tells the story behind his tattooed  knuckles. It has been often been mentioned, imitated, and referenced in pop  culture. The lead singer of the band HURT, J. Loren Wince, has the love/hate  tattoo on his knuckles. He has one upside down and one right side up so you can  read them correctly as he plays guitar. If you want more infor check out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_of_the_Hunter_(film)

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_meaning_of_love_and_hate_tattoo#ixzz26ATM2Ad4

• Its not just the fact that tats could be precieved as Passe its also the cost and time.

Having just looked up the cost of tattos avg price seems to be done per hour at £40-£50. Some people must spend a hell of a lot of money on tattoo's. A full sleeve would cost around £600 - £1000. I guess if you have the money I don't have a problem with that but even so.... image Some people must almost live at the tattoo shop and have a very intermate relationship with said tattooest.

But you never know, if I find a design I like and the moneyimage  

• I've got two, both have a lot of meaning for me and both were done on trips to the tattooist with very good friends who have artwork from the same trip (but not the same tattoo!). Both are small and easy to hide so it's up to me if/when I reveal them, and both in places where the skin won't stretch very much with pregnancy!

• Tommygun2 wrote (see)

Its not just the fact that tats could be precieved as Passe its also the cost and time.

Having just looked up the cost of tattos avg price seems to be done per hour at £40-£50. Some people must spend a hell of a lot of money on tattoo's. A full sleeve would cost around £600 - £1000. I guess if you have the money I don't have a problem with that but even so.... image Some people must almost live at the tattoo shop and have a very intermate relationship with said tattooest.

But you never know, if I find a design I like and the moneyimage  

I think the going rate is £1 per minute of tattooing time. People often get sleeves done in stages, so you can spread the cost a bit - like a rock n'roll version of those weekly partwork magazines for building a model ship or making a quilt in stages image

• Tommygun2 wrote (see)

Having just looked up the cost of tattos avg price seems to be done per hour at £40-£50. Some people must spend a hell of a lot of money on tattoo's. A full sleeve would cost around £600 - £1000.

If you can get a tatooist for £40 per hour hes or she is going to be sh1te...

Average price i would say is about £70-£90 per hour.  Some one like Lou Molley David Beckhams tattooist) is i think about £140-£150 per hour with something like a 6-7month waiting list.....And he wont do it for you if its your run of the mill stuff like a heart with mum and dad or love hate on the knuckles!  He has to like the design!

• I have 2 - both on my shoulder blades and deliberately so - I hide them when I want and show them when I want. I had them done 10 years ago and though long and hand about them, neither were an act of rebellion and both mean something to me. Ultimately, it's my body. I'll do with it what I wish. I picked my tattooist carefully, I was sensible and I probably will never have another one done.