Andy Murray for SPOTY

Comments

• It will be a tough job for the journalists to put the list of top 10 together before the public start to get a say.  If you look at previous winners they tend to be from the best supported sports which is why footballers, e.g. Ryan Giggs, would win it before Jenson Button though Jenson's achievements that year probably far outweighed those of Giggs.  So I think remove the swimmers and triathletes straight off (Ellie Simmons??? could spoil the rationale of my point).  Running/athletics vs golf vs tennis vs cycling.  All are quite niche in terms of TV audiences because they are events rather than every week but I would guess that tennis commands the biggest TV exposure in this country.

Nope not got a clue who will winimage 

• Surely Sarah Storey is ahead of most, having won her amazing 11 gold medals across two sports?

• Big_G wrote (see)
    Clean sweep for cycling maybe?
    - Wiggins as SPOTY
    - Brailsford as coach
    - Team SKY as team

or will they count TeamGB as the team in an attempt to keep everyone happy?

• Big_G wrote (see)
    My father in law thinks the beeb should extend the number of categories this year to include 'sports woman', 'sports man' and 'sport Paralympic athlete'. I disagree but what are the thoughts here? 

if they'd go that far why not paralympic sportsman and paralympic sportswoman?

although after last year's row over nominations they might well do something similar or else they'll have quotas in the shortlist?

• For me it should either be Mo, Jess, Greg Rutherford or Dave Weir - but that is looking at it from a purely athletic fan point of view,  all of the people mentioned would deserve it - I suppose as long as it isn't a darts player or someone who rides a horse or drives a racing car (or David Beckham)

• Humm Mo, Wiggins or Murray.

But What Mo and Wiggins did has never been done before by anyone from the UK.  Yes it's been 70 odd years for tennis but that's ain't as good as never being done before.

So Mo, and Wiggins, oh, and I think Weir... Honestly.... The individual winner should just be TeamGB just accept TeamGB as a Team were bloody awesome and they all deserve it.  Or give it to the olympic volunteers image

• Could be wrong on this but beleive what Mo did has been done before by a brit? The last person to win a tennis major did it using a racket that had been made with cat guts and was unreconisable conpared with what tennis is now. Not saying Murrey should get it but it's a hard comparison to make.

For the team the GB cycling team have won the team award before so they might have problems if they try to get the whole GB team in. Brilliant point about the vonunteers by the way. image

I'm surpliced no-one has mentioned Peacock yet. He wouldn't be my chose for winning it but he's make the shortlist.

• as it stands the programme will have to be about 5 hours long to adequately cover all the great sporting moments of the year.

• I hope Wiggins gets it, but no matter who wins I will actually care enough about the athletes featured this year to watch it - no more boring litany of footballers, cricketers and rugby players. (Though was v happy that Cav got it last year!)

• I think someone mentioned Greg Rutherford earlier. Brilliant that he got the gold but I think he was the "Ryan Giggs" of the long jump. Just lucky to be there when there was no serious competition.
  • So many possibles to chose from - I'd almost rule out Rutherford as it was "only" a single gold - then again that goes for Jess too.  I think it'll probably be decided by who gets the most exposure in the lead up.

I can see a surprise winner because the athletics and cycling vote will be split between several candidates

I'd struggle to come up with a list of ten without leaving out someone I felt had done something that in another year made them a potential winner

• Wiggo all the way - with unprecedented tour win AND olympic gold AND he is such a big personality too. could be pelnty of people though

• I like the idea of the volunteers winning image
  • XFR Bear wrote (see)

So many possibles to chose from - I'd almost rule out Rutherford as it was "only" a single gold - then again that goes for Jess too.  I think it'll probably be decided by who gets the most exposure in the lead up.

I see your point, but then Jess had to perform well in multiple events to win her gold medal whereas Rutherford "only" had one event. It's going to be an interesting night anyway! image

• It's got to be Tom Daley. He's been on every programme going. So much exposure. Documentaries. Former winner of young sports personality. Great bronze from the tanned budgie smuggler
  • If Tom had got gold I think he would have been in with a shout but he might not even make the short list now. Can't remember to name of the lass but that lady weightlifter might be the dark horse for the shortlist?

• I think you're all missing the 'elephant in the room' ... tis but a foregone conclusion ... there can be only one winner and that is the phenomenon that is David Beckham !!

Why if it wasn't for 'Becks' we wouldn't have even had the 'lmpics here in the first place.

• Beckam v Daley - thats a close call. Both had lots of media coverage. Wiggins may have won the TdF but how many pages in Grazia did he make?
  • I have a feeling after this weekend that Murrays might have it in the bag. Olympic singles gold, mixed doubles silver, finalist at Wimbledown & winning US Open, can;t really argue with that record. Wiggins definitely in with a shout though

• Bruce C wrote (see)

I think you're all missing the 'elephant in the room' ... tis but a foregone conclusion ... there can be only one winner and that is the phenomenon that is David Beckham !!

Why if it wasn't for 'Becks' we wouldn't have even had the 'lmpics here in the first place.

image Seriously? dude really hope your are saying that tongue in check becks has done f*ck all this year sports wise. Been a good ambassador this year and top marks to him but that's not the same thing?

• Dude.........Middle aged shout out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I just heard that Murray was in Dunblane doing a signing session and tennis knockabout. He spent FIVE HOURS with his fans. There can't have been so much as a bus ticket left unsigned.

• BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭

Murray is a great tennis player.

However, the words Murray and personality do not sit comfortably together.But then again.. Ryan Giggs, even tho he was popular with the inlaws.   Many contenders... but not Murray for me.

• Throw Ian Poulter into the mix?

for me.....FRANKEL!!

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭
    Blisters wrote (see)

I just heard that Murray was in Dunblane doing a signing session and tennis knockabout. He spent FIVE HOURS with his fans.

What did the three of them talk about for five hours?

• I think the words "sports personality" get in the way a bit. What it's really about is sporting achiever of the year. Some years, nobody really deserves it - hence the likes of David Beckham, Ryan Giggs or Tony McCoy win on the basis of popularity or  "lifetime achievement".

This year however, there are so many who genuinely deserve it. Comes down to preference I suppose, so for me:

3. Mo Farah

2. Andy Murray ("in any other year...")

1. Bradley Wiggins

• No mention of Vickie Pendleton. I want her. (.....to win obviously).  Lets face it, she has a great track record of world champs, olympic results etc and far more likely to attract the eye of the judging panel who are all golfing mag editors or soccer pundits aren't they?

• she's good kid, real good. but not this time.

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭

How about this year then?