Beachy Head Marathon

Comments

• Turms out we're away at Disneyland Paris that day. I'll be paying back some goodwill to the family that weekend then. See you all next year! image

• this thread used to have so much interesting stuff on it. Seems as if not many people can find it now the race isn't on the RW site. No doubt FB will keep us posted re the weather and underfoot conditions nearer the time - at least we'll know what it's going to be like!

• Do any of you know if it is possible to commute from London on the morning of this?  Or do I need to book myself in somewhere?  I'm not a driver, is it walkable to the start from a train station?

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

You will probably need to book yourself in somewhere and although it is walkable from the train station it's not that close. 1.5 milesish

• You'll also have to get there in time to collect your number and chip. If you don't book in, sounds like an early start!

• is the start near the town centre?  any suggestions on places to stay??

• start is on the seafront,  at the far end as you enter Eastbourne (there's a map on the official site, I think).  Google Eastbourne's list of acommodation. The cheap stuff near the start gets booked up pretty fast. Or try Travel Lodge, BIg Sleep, or bookings.com.

I'm staying for the first time (usually drive down on the morning, but with number etc to collect can't risk it).

• BOING!

about time this thread had some life breathed back into it

we will be marshalling again - hopefully at Lullington Heath as usual to start and then above the finish area later.

as for conditions at the mo - no idea - not been up onto the Downs for what seems like ages but plenty of time to get some updates done once we get back from hols in mid-September.   fingers crossed for good weather though

• think this thread died because there's another one going on Fetcheveryone, with all the old (usual) contributors. Course, removing Beachy from Runners World list of races means we can't rate it afterwards, so there's no way it's going to appear in the annual RW list of top 20 marathons, as it has every year since time immemorial... (sobs loudly). 

Wel done, organisers! (Though as it sells out anyway, perhaps they don't care.)

• So FB what shoes should I wear this year

These

http://i2.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/590/draft_lens17825460module149399659photo_1302183512spring-shoes.jpg

or these

http://www.runnersworld.com/images/cma/truegripapr500.jpg

• I think its going to be a wet one this year, I only say that as the last two years have been dry and sunny,, so this being my third Beachy its bound to be horrible weatherimage

• Hello!  Had to search around for this thread so glad to find you all.  Why isn't it listed on the site any more - I entered via RW back in January?

FB, no I won't be bringing it with me before you ask image  How's Petal?  I haven't seen you 2 for ages.

• not listed cos the dumb organisers took it off to prevent any more online entries via RW, well before it was full. Upped their own price and  made all entries via their own website. (see earlier entry round about page 1 or 2)

• Ooooh, that's a bit naughty!  Thanks for the explanation AP.

• hello all, time to start visiting the thread. doing it foir the first time. first marathon was brighton this year. training so far so good.a very eccentric mix of cycling and running with the odd swim. 10 mile race on saturday to get a feel for where i'm at. hope everyones training is going well. entering to enjoy the running so don't care about the weather or my finish time.

• Thought I'd best chip up as it's been a while again!

Been upping my running again recently as got a half marathon in a couple of weeks, although I feel I'm a bit behind on the long runs with not much time left to go! Last weekend I had planned to do a 20 mile run however I decided against that given how hot it was and went for a 6 miler on Saturday and same again Sunday. Will be aiming to do 20 miles tomorrow night in the dark so got my new head torch at the ready!

Good luck for the 10 mile race on Sunday Rondo. Will be good to catch up at Beachy Head. Can't believe how quick the time's gone since Brighton!

• I can definitely recommend the Petzl Nao if anyone is considering doing night time trail runs. Tried mine out for the first time tonight and was extremely impressed.

• Still very dry out there at the moment. image

forgot to say

Tommygun2 wrote (see)

So FB what shoes should I wear this year

These

http://i2.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/590/draft_lens17825460module149399659photo_1302183512spring-shoes.jpg

or these

http://www.runnersworld.com/images/cma/truegripapr500.jpg

You need the 2nd option TG. I'm presuming remote control. image

• If the weather stays like it is now I might be wearing theseimage

http://zero-drop.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/invisible-shoe.jpg

• Someone was wearing flip flop type things during the South Downs marathon! image

• Yep Redhead I ran with a guy wearing them for a couple of miles at the SD Mara. Apparently he doesn't always wear them and I think he was suffering abit with cramp, he still beat me though(not difficult though)

• Unfortunately I'm injured and am not going to be able to run so if anyone wants to buy my place off me, just send me a message.  The entry fee was £32.  I think the deadline for transfers is only up until this Friday 21st September so don't delay if you want to run.

• QBQB ✭✭✭

There was a guy wearing them at Bacchus and he went well ahead at start of second lap only to pass him in last couple of miles of descent as he too was suffering a bit of cramp

Science proven against these therefore, so I'll look for a pair of the other shoes you pictured ahead of BHM!

• Redhead wrote (see)

FB, no I won't be bringing it with me before you ask image  How's Petal?  I haven't seen you 2 for ages.

we're fine ta Red and likewise - not seen you for a while.  quiet year for us this year and ongoing injury (PF) has curtailed a lot of my running since January.   

it does still look like flip-flops are the shoes of choice at the mo  must try and get up on the Downs at the w/e now we're back from hols to see what the trails are like but they will be bone dry I'm sure

• Yay! Found a current BHM thread!  I'm running it for the first time this year.  Well, walk/running - that's the advice I'm getting from people for a first-timer.  Prepping well without overdoing it - last long run had 1,000 metres of ascent, so just a mere 500 metres more to get used to, right?  Have fun preparing everyone and fingers crossed everyone stays injury-free.

• Hi QFS. I ran BHM for the first time last year and loved it, despite it being difficult. Like the others I'm hoping the weather is as good as it was for us last year. I did run the whole route and with little training, but did struggle on the hills (and there are a lot of them). I posted my garmin elevation chart a couple of pages back. 4862 ft of ascent so pretty much 1500m as you say.

I have been upping my running recently but my max distance for a single run has only been 14 miles so far. Need to seriously hit the hills too!

Hope everyone elses training is going well.

• Hey Lombster and All

I'm only up to 12 miles, but my training is not going to involve any long runs. It's an experiment. I'll let you know if it works. Basically i'm using an online trainer and he does ironmans. The principle is the long runs may well prepare the body for the endurance, but they also weaken it. There are so many theories out there, but if it works I will be very happy. I am doing plently of hill running, and still cyling 120 miles a week.

No injuries at all so far and did a 10 mile race last week which has me around the same times as before the Brighton Marathon.

I'm really looking forward to this as I'm hoping the scenery will give me a lift. The boredom of the Brighton Marathon was probably the worst part about it.

• Hey Rondo,

That's a very interesting experiment.  Do let us know how you get on.  I've often thought of doing this but haven't had the courage to do it yet.  I'm not doing massive long runs but they contain a lot of ascent each time. 

120 miles of cycling a week is bound to have a training effect.   Hope you enjoy the rest of the build up... keep us posted right?

• the cycling is to and from work three times a week. according to mr ironman the heart doesn't know what sort of training you are doing so this is really good for building up your VO2 max. In other words making you more efficient with your oxygen intake. I just do a few max heart rate sprints or race up the few hills. This works your heart without as much injury risk. I also do swimming once a week and doing swimming sprints does a lot of work for your heart too, but the the slow swimming is also fantastic for recovery from runs.

i'm enjoying my training a lot more without the long runs as they take up time, but also mean a day wiped out as I'm not much use to anyone for the rest of the day, which doesn't go down well with the family.

if you see a broken man around the 18 miles mark then it may well have not worked.