A Stupid Idea?

Evening All,

I'm not a newbee to forums but I am a newbee to this one. After the birth of my daughter 5 years ago I decided I would try and get myself fit. This started with a 10k and spiralled out of control (as it does image ) to the point where I have now run 3 London Marathons and numerous other halfs and 10kms and I'm currently awaiting the results of the VLM ballot for 2013 in October.

Anyhoo I have an interest in old cars and alot of the car shows I frequent are based at Santa Pod Raceway in Northamptonshire. One particular show here that I frequent supports a very worthy cancer charity and a combination of looking for a new challenge / wanting to help the charity / speaking without thinking led me to discussing the idea of running from my home to the event (135 miles!) with the show organiser.

My question is; how feasible is it? I've not cast anything in stone but I'm thinking it will take me between 5 and 7 days so between 19 and 27 miles per day. I haven't run much since the VLM in April but have nearly a year to ready myself. I can be marathon ready in 6 months based on my previous training and can build from there.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Err, don't get me wrong there are nutters who run multiple marathons day after day. But these guys are usually in remarkable shape a year before embarking on extra training. It would be useful to know your previous marathon times. Even to walk the set distance each day will be tough and a serious injury risk.

Without anything else to go by, you're basically running over 5 marathons in under a week. I'm very doubtful as to whether you can be successful without any more data, but I'd ask for sponsorship for miles completed rather than for actual completion of all 135 miles.

Best of luck to you, the cause is very noble.

• Jamie Newton 2 wrote (see)

Err, don't get me wrong there are nutters who run multiple marathons day after day. But these guys are usually in remarkable shape a year before embarking on extra training. It would be useful to know your previous marathon times. Even to walk the set distance each day will be tough and a serious injury risk.

Without anything else to go by, you're basically running over 5 marathons in under a week. I'm very doubtful as to whether you can be successful without any more data, but I'd ask for sponsorship for miles completed rather than for actual completion of all 135 miles.

Best of luck to you, the cause is very noble.

Thanks for the reply and yes, it is a huge undertaking. I think in all honesty that the 19 miles accross 7 days is the wiser route to take if I decide to do it. I'm not a fast runner, getting there is all I aim for which is reflected in my VLM times:

Year 1: 5:31

Year 2: 5:54 (Slower because of 2 month's missed training due to an operation)

Year 3: 5:32

Nevertheless these are times I'm proud of as I'm not the slimmest guy you'll meet and 5 years ago I was in excess of 20 stones and couldn't press the remote without getting out of breath.

If I do this I won't be hunting earth shattering times, just completion and will have the support of people along the route including a physio who is willing to travel with me. I am under no illusions about the seriousness of a challenge like this but I have 11 months to prepare. Will it be enough if I give it my full attention?

• Well, Eddie Izzard did it.  But it would be tough.  But I think if you walk/ran it and aimed to cover the 20 miles in 7 hours or so - basically a brisk walk kind of pace - and obviously trained for it it would be doable. 

• Many have run that distance in one continous run, of course it's possible. You'd be better off going to the ultra section with your questions.

• Would it be easier to split the day's mileage into two separate runs with a good time-out inbetween? 7 days worth of 12 miles am, 7 miles pm all at a very easy pace sounds fairly reasonable - if any of this "ultra" business can be described as reasonable!

• I would imagine it is do-able if you have a year to build up for it, albeit very tough.  I did 95M in 3 days in December as my first multi-stage ultra, having taken the decision to do so in July, so I had about 5.5 months to prepare.  I've been running for about 10 years and usually do something between 50 and 70 miles a week year-round.  Day 3 was very painful indeed and my achilles tendons were extremely tender.  I'm glad I did it but wish I'd had longer to build up for it.

• I reckon you should crack on and give it a go.  You'll either fail or succeed, and you probably won't die.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

11 months is loads of time, in fact you can probably take the first couple of months off. Just go and do it.

• Why don't you start by trying to run a marathon?
  • Thanks for all your feedback. I wasn't sure what to expect as during research via Google I'd come across some negativity towards this sort of attempt. I suppose the seeds were sown long ago when I watched Eddie Izzard's feat although what he did is too hardcore for me personally. Plus I couldn't muster the kind of backup someone in his position can (that's not to take anything away from him, it was an amazing thing to achieve).

I want to do this, I think it'd be an experience and I already have some offers of support (and money!) after a brief mention of the idea elsewhere online. Thanks again for all the input, some good ideas of how to perhaps split the runs during the day/slow the pace to make it less stressful on my body.

I guess all that's left to do is get out there and start training! I'll keep you posted and no doubt come back with questions!

Cheers,

Andy

• Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    Why don't you start by trying to run a marathon?

I've ran the last 3 London Marathons, plus 2 Stafford 20s and various halfs and 10kms. I know I can do distance. It's whether I can run distance day after day.

• ignore Sussex runner..

Andy......if you want to do it you can.......especially as you can raise money for a good cause and i think its a great way to spend a wek of your holiday.....I would run/walk it probably.so start training and follow the ultra runners training ........basically a lot of their schedules have back to back runs.so a 20 followed by a 10 the next day..this will get your legs used to moving again .the brathay 10 do 10 marathons in 10 days................

But build up slowly liek you would #for a marathon.........good luck

• if with all your efforts thrown at running 1 marathon was a 5.30 time what time would you envisage the 2nd day being? 7hours?  Then the 3rd day 8 hrs.  The strain on your body / time on your feet will be incredible and will probably break down into injury for many experienced runners.   Ask yourself how did you feel the day after your last marathon, did you fancy getting up to do it again?  was your body sore?  

thats the negative side of it, if you can complete it would be a superb achievement and for a very worthy cause.  Hats off if you can do itimage

• Successive days of 8 or more hours on your feet are quite doable if you're a natural plodder.  It's the faster marathon runners that find it unthinkable.

• @dean richardson 7 - Eddie Izzard's times improved as he went.

• dean richardson 7 wrote (see)

if with all your efforts thrown at running 1 marathon was a 5.30 time what time would you envisage the 2nd day being? 7hours?  Then the 3rd day 8 hrs.  The strain on your body / time on your feet will be incredible and will probably break down into injury for many experienced runners.   Ask yourself how did you feel the day after your last marathon, did you fancy getting up to do it again?  was your body sore?  

In all honesty Dean, I don't know. I was hobbling like an old man after my first marathon image the following years I was achey but able to walk about ok. I have cut back the initial idea of '5 marathons in 5 days' as I do think the extra 6 miles per day makes all the difference, both psychologically and physically and trimming the runs to 19 miles (approx) will make it more managable.

I think I need to get training and be careful of what I promise to achieve, perhaps adjusting my plan as the training progresses and make a final (but loose) commitment to daily distance/pace nearer the time.

Just thinking out loud, don't mind me.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Intermanaut wrote (see)

@dean richardson 7 - Eddie Izzard's times improved as he went.

Eddie Izzard didn't start off by doing his top paced marathon though.

So in Dean's example, the OP wouldn't be doing 5:30,7,8, he'd probably be looking at starting at 7 or 8...

• Andy - you are probably right regards dropping to 19m a day will be "easier" on the mind and body......whats your ave mileage per week when training for the marathon? as i would have thought you would need to be getting at least 70m per week in for this challenge....(although that number was randomly picked out of the air image...you are better getting advice from the Ultra crowd.)

• Stevie G . wrote (see)
    Intermanaut wrote (see)

Given that he'd never run a marathon before he did, indeed, start off doing his top-paced marathon.

• Stevie G . wrote (see)
    Intermanaut wrote (see)

So in Dean's example, the OP wouldn't be doing 5:30,7,8, he'd probably be looking at starting at 7 or 8...

Interesting point. I think this is the key to it all. Start the week gently and build up (if I feel able) but I'll get into that when I make my final decision and start training.

@dean At the height of my marathon training I was around the 50 mile per week marker. I'd need to up my game to do this. I'll be starting almost from scratch again and building slowly to marathon ability within 6 months and going from there.

• lardarse wrote (see)

3100 mile road race.... 60 miles average per day, 52 day time limit...

Never fails to amaze me what the body is capable of. I thought Badwater was extreme!