'Mature' runners.

Comments

• Columba, that was an excellent time, and to get a pb by 14 minutes is awesomeimage It just goes to show how beneficial club running and training is. Well done also on the TOTP!

Celebrated my Sister's birthday today with an excellent lunch in an Italian Restaurant at Hythe Marina. It was a lovely sunny day and the doors and windows were open, giving us a lovely view of the yachts etc. anchored up. It was a big family affair with my sister's husband Alan, who is doing very well in his battle against leukemia and is in remission, Alan's parents, my two nieces, one pregnant, and the other with three children and her husband. We all said though, that it wasn't the same with Mum and Dad no longer being with us.

Looking forward to a run tomorrow in my new Asics 1170's which arrived Saturday morning, and I was wearing them indoors this morning to help break them in. I don't think it wise though to wear them in my half marathon in two weeks time.

• Just popping in to see how our superstar got on and...............ta da, a shiny new pb only 1 minute outside my secret prediction which was 2:35!  

Well done Columba, that was absolutely excellent work and you should be very, very proud.  I knew you'd be loads faster on that course and I reckon you could easily take 10 minutes off your time for Hastings now.  I am so happy for you image

• Morning all,

OK, it's official, I do not enjoy swimming.  I've tried and tried to enjoy it but after 12 months it's still a struggle to get my breathing right.  I know it's done me some good as it's strengthened and streamlined areas to support my running but I still don't like it.  It's official.  I'll keep it up to the end of the year as planned but I'm not sure that I'll continue with it next year.  I enjoyed the run there and back much more image

TE, it's so hard when special people are missing isn't it.  Good news that your BiL is in remission.  Long may it continue.  Enjoy your new shoes!

• Red - I have the same trouble with swimming/breathing. I am trying to learn how to do the front crawl, but having immense difficulty coordinating arms, legs and breathing. If I focus on one, the others go haywire.

• Ladies - firstly, are you trying to breathe too quickly? Your breathing should be slow and regular, breathing in with your head turned to one side and out under water.  Have you tried breathing exercises in the water without actually swimming? Stand in the shallow end (you can actually practice this at home in the bath or hand basin) and put your face in the water, turn head to one side and breathe in. Now put your face back into the water and breathe out under water. When you've got that down, try putting an arm up like you were making a stroke but don't actually follow through, leave your hand above the water with your elbow bent by your ear. Now perform the same exercise as before but breathing out in the space under your bent elbow.

Columba -  super result, well done indeed, a PB of any sort is good but 14 mins is stupendous!

• Red, yes it is really tough when ones parents are not there to join in, but my niece's new baby, who was born soon after Mum died, was christened with Dad's Christian name. He is such a good boy, who never cried throughout the day, and was always smiling.

My BiL is doing really well, and looks fit and healthy. To see him, no one would know that he is fighting such a deadly illness.

Wore my new trainers in pouring rain this morning, for an easy pace 5.25 miles road run, and they were comfortable and caused no problems. I'm looking forward now to tomorrows hill session in the forest, for which I will wear my trail shoes. They are just about at the end of their useful life, having pounded out 456 miles of off road, and some road. I intend getting the Salomon Speed Cross 3, which are the follow on to my current Speed Cross 2s.

• I try to breathe too much and seem to panic when my breathing doesn't keep up with my strokes.  I can breath in under my arm and breath out under water.  I do try to do what you told me originally and breath in every 3 strokes and breath out underwater.  It just doesn't always seem to work out like that.  I think I am officially rubbish at it!

TE, I seem to get a lot more mileage out of my trail shoes as they don't need the cushioning of my road shoes.  It's lovely that your dad's name lives on.

• Red, thanks for that! My sister and I were so pleased when we were told the baby's christian name. I agree with you about the higher mileage in trail shoes. I think the reason the rubber lugs have started wearing down on the forefoot, is that we quite often run 1.5 miles or more each way on roads to get to the particular area of forest where we are doing the training session. When I run in the forest myself, I still have .5 mile each way on road to the nearest  forest entry.

• Our trainer has us do breathing drills such as one length breathing every 3, next one every 4 (seems to suit me best), then every 5, on up to every 7 which I just about manage, and then back down again to every 3rd. If you try some of them maybe that will help  your body to adjust to not needing to breathe that often, unless you are sprinting of course. What you describe does sound like a bit of panic mode - you really don't need to breathe all that often, except of course if your asthma acts up. I do hope you can get it sorted, I'm not a fast swimmer by any means but I really love gliding through the water completely relaxed and happy.

• Hmmm, the concept of me 'gliding through the water' is completely alien to me.  I can glide a long way if I don't have to breathe but as soon as I take a breath then it all goes awry!  I'll keep trying for a bit longer, unless I drown in the process......

• Red / BIW - similarly. I have excellent breath control when I'm singing, but it all goes to pot when there's water all around! I have only very recently persuaded myself to put my face well down in the water when swimming breast-stroke, and the concept of being largely underwater and just coming up for air briefly every third stroke is one that I can't seem to put into practice. However, I will keep working at it, and thank you for your advice, BIW. 

My official time was 2 hours 36 mins and 9 seconds. And my arithmetic was awry, - it's a 16 minute pb rather than a 14 minute one!

TE - my one grandchild was still in the womb when my Mum died, so alas they never met, - though Mum did know her great-grandchild was expected.

• Columba, it seems to be a fact of life that as one life finishes, another one starts. I can clearly remember my Grandfather, my Mother's Father, saying to me as he was dying, and I had just started work, "One just starting and one just finishing."  Getting back to your race, a 16 minute PB is even more outstandingimage.

I watched the procession of our olympic/paralympics athletes on BBC this afternoon, and feel sad that the Games are now over, and wonder at the future of those that "didn't hit the heights." The superstars will become millionaires and others back to a struggle to receive financial backing etc. to continue. It was a great contrast during the final speeches, where the PM's was met with polite applause, whereas the London Major Boris Johnson's was greeted with rapturous applause.

• /members/images/6763/Gallery/Charly_0.jpg

Here's Charly staking his claim to his favourite toys!

• Morning all,

OMG Charly is absolutely gorgeous!  I love his ears image

Columba, well you bettered my prediction then 'cos I reckoned you'd get a 15 minute pb (I must have got the Hastings finish time wrong).  Well done and make sure you enjoy the feeling as it makes all the hard work worthwhile.

JJ, glad it's not just me.

I did some off-road hillwork earlier.  A local farmer lets me run up and down the lines of trees in his cider apple orchard provided I run early when there's no-one about (so they don't think they can just wander around willy-nilly).  It's on a really steep slope and there are 55 lines of trees.  I've never managed to get over 33 and today I did 20 before I'd had enough.  Phew!

• Red - what a good arrangement! You can report back to the farmer if his apples have started falling, or if any of the trees needs attention.

JJ - not just Redhead and not just me either.

BIW - what amazing ears, - like bats' wings! Will the rest of Charly grow to fit them? The adults dogs' ears in your avatar picture don't look so startlingly large.

• Yes Columba, amongst shepherd dog owners it's an old adage that they "grow into their ears." John used to call Oz "alien dog" when he was a pup because his ears were huge like Charly's are. Pretty good indication he will grow into a big boy!

• Back home from Liverpool and in need of some exercise after the wining and dining thats gone on in the last few days.

Columba, well done on your Pb, taking 14 minutes off is a great achievement.

JJ, it seems i belong to the group thats does not enjoy swimming, i actually glide like a brick !

Redhead, i met your superlambanana and had me photo taken at the side of it, i enjoyed my time in your native city, with the highlight for me being the tour round Liverpools Anfield Stadium.

• BIW, lovely picture of Charly. You'll have a job seeing him in the snow.

This evening, we did 4 sets of 5 minutes continuous up and down hill running, with 2 minute recoveries between sets. It was almost dark by the time we got back to base. We only have about one more week of forest evenings, and then back to road running again.

• TE - everyone thinks that but actually snow is a brighter white, all our previous 3 have looked more cream coloured against snow.

JJ, definitely not rabbits, I've got a pic of his father Aaron vom Leininger Land and of course have made the acquaintance of mum Gyina of Country Roads.

Did you know the name "alsatian" was acquired during the war, much as German beer gardens became known as Swiss gardens, to avoid the name German Shepherd - nothing could be called German in those days. Our White Swiss Shepherds are so called to differentiate from the GSDs - for a long time the whites were banned in Germany because the colour white is not allowed in the  breed standard for a GSD. Only in about 1960 were the whites re-introduced into Europe from North American and Canada, and they've only been recognised by the FCI as a separate breed since summer 2011. Used to annoy me that my dogs were known as mongrels since they have pure lines going back generations. Charly's papers go back to his great-great-grandparents and I have pictures of most of them.

• Incidentally Charly's bloodlines include some of the same kennels as Ozzy's did - Oz's grandfather is Charly's great-great grandpappy, so hopefully Charly will turn out to be as wonderful. He's made a great start.

• Morning all,

7 miles off road run on this glorious morning.  The temperature is just right for me now it's cooled down a bit image

OT, glad you enjoyed your visit to L'pool.  It's Mike's native city, not mine.  The Scousers adopted me when I went to work there but I'm actually a woollyback which means I come from outside the city, in my case Lancashire image  Are you going to share your photo with the superlambanana?  Hope so.

IW, that's a fascinating history of the nomenclature of the breed and how lovely that Charly is related to Oz.

TE, road running in the dark was one thing I didn't enjoy with the club.

• Red, I'm not keen on road running in the dark either, but some of the runners prefer it. I think they believe that they can't be seen. I bet you enjoyed your off road run this morning.

I ran 6 miles at a steady pace this morning on roads, as I am breaking in my new trainers. I am hoping to wear them for my race a week on Sunday. Tomorrow is a track session, scheduled for 5 x 800 metres with 400 metre jog recoveries.

• BIW - are they albinos or just white?

Apparently there are albino hedgehogs on one of the Hebridean islands.

I went out with the running club last night. Nearly all of them had done the same half-mara on Sunday, so were taking it easy. I came home with a blood-filled blister on the side of one toe, so will be taking it even easier for the next few days.

• Columba - no, definitely not albinos, which have red eyes and pink skin. The breed standard calls for white coat and dark points - pads, nose and lips must be black, eyes brown, nails dark, skin under the coat gray rather than pink. Same as West Highland White terriers, which are also not albino.

• Back onthis afternoon for 3miles in the pouring rain the road.

TE, a lot of my running is done in the dark during winter, because i work full time, i actually quitre enjoy it.

Redhead, i have asked my daughter for a lesson on how to download photos from the camera to the computer, so hopefully me picture with the superlambanana and others will appear for you to see.

• Morning all,

OK, I've had to give in and start taking part of my medication again as the last week has been a breathing nightmare.  Poo, I really don't want to have to keep taking things that can lead to all the hereditary conditions within my family but it seems as if I shall have to!  Haven't been for a run yet as I've been waiting for the gunk to clear so I'll be heading over to Great Dixter later which is a lovely xc route if just over 5 miles.

JJ, 4 miles is good.  Keep it up Coach image

OT, I look forward to seeing the photos.

I just have to mention the Hillsborough findings. OMG, what a shameful outcome for the Police and the ambulance services.  

I remember the day it happened clearly because Mike and I had been out for the day, he went back to his parents to get ready for the evening and I went to my mum's for tea and then we met up later at the Railway Club where Mike played the organ (a glamourous courtship hey!!!).  I hadn't heard the news on the radio or watched the TV but I knew something awful had happened as I walked through the door as people were wearing black or black armbands and some people were crying.  As the weeks went by I had to attend a funeral for the son of a colleague from a branch within my patch and various memorial services in my capacity as a 'Bank Official'.  It was a very dark time in Liverpool and then when the Sun printed that awful headline it made a lot of people believe that the fans were actually to blame. They may have made an apology for what they printed all those years ago but I doubt they'll sell many more papers in Liverpool.

So very sad.