Preston Guild Marathon

Comments

• Mark I think if I was you I might wait for a marathon a bit later if you've only been running for 7 weeks you dont want to push it too much, get injured and then do this marathon without proper training it might put you off. I am hoping to do an 18 miler on sunday all being well since ther's no work on monday gives me an extra day to slob out lovely! Hope everyones tarining going well wish I knew where this wheel thing was sounds good

• Thanks SJPC14 I will take a look.

•  

No problem its a godo course, its tough but worth the hassle. Some bits it isnt too clear on which way to go. But im sure if you have a good study of the map your figure it out.

Up to 18 miles i see, sounds like your training is on track. Good work.

• Thanks guys, I think it only sensible to wait until after the half and make an informed decision then. That's if my old legs don't give out on me!!
  • SJPC14. I did 2.48 8min miles. I was expecting water at the school but missed the email about there being none. Ran the whole hog without and was losing it at mile 19... Had to beg water from the cafe at the end then shot off as I'd plenty of drinks in my van.it took until 10pm for me to pee.

Found the route ok but I have lived all round Preston.

I'm on another 18m'er Sunday but I'm going off road over moors.

My training is for a 21 fell race 2wk before Preston. At Preston marathon I'll be along the route with my camera. My wife's doing it , trainings going well.
  • a 21 m fell race sounds fun!! I might one day take to fell running but two many road run targets at the moment.

Yes i was disappointed to find out there was no water stops but i had my water bottle with me, so it wasn't too bad. The most annoying part was the fact that they didn't provide water at the end of the run.

Well done on, your time. We might of even come across each other at one point. I thought the run started off way too fast. I think i was in the lead group at the beginning and they got to first mile at around 7 mins, so i dropped way back after that.

Sounds like everybody is out running Sunday morning. I am going to do the course, i posted a few days ago, should be interesting.

• If anyone wants a map of the Preston Guild Wheel look on website

www.prestonguild2012.com

You can get all or just bits of it. Not done all way round in one go but done it in 2.

• I was in that pack & notice it at 7min so dropped off a little. Two shot off and another guy plodded on. I passed one on the big hill and the other was walking at Cottom. The guy plodding on carried on at Broughton , I give him a shout but he didn't hear. At the end I he said he'd gone to the shop for water. Nice medals.

The fell race is "the red bull steeple chase" 250 start after 8mile some are dropped. Then after another 4mile more are dropped. 6mile ,more dropped , finally 40 do final 3mile. Should be fun.
  • Wow that sounds like a tough race 9. There seems there seems to be more and more those things popping up. I think the hardest one ive heard of is the "Spine" thespinerace.com

And yes i passed a few of those that had carried on at the 7 min pace after we got up the hill. I guess a few were prob first timers at that distance and just got carried along, so if they are doing the mara. then it will have done them good to experience that.

My 20 mile route was a success on Sunday and if any one lives near the Leeds-Liverpool Canal i recommend it, i know we only ran on it for a few miles but it was nice going, quiet and car free!!

http://www.runningahead.com/maps/de6a677e9d414a2fa5e5a6e89356da9f?unit=mi

• Had second set of xrays today; no fracture. Awaiting physio now. Not asked to drop down to HM but 99% certain I will, at best. Ran 4 miles on Sunday and lots of pain day after. Very sorry for myself but, on the positive, 20 years to train for the next Preston mara!!! image

• That would be some training program 20 years!! :P

That is mixed bag of news for you E.Toe, just be positive that there is no fracture, there will always be another race.

• Thanks SJ. Will target the 10k then the HM but it`s not the same as the `full`. A bit gutted that I sacrificed a few other recent races due to focussing on the end of October but, hopefully, I`ll be racing for many more years.

• What's the pain like now ET? And where exactly?

• It`s pretty sore 3 days after doing 4 miles. It`s very localised and centred on second metatarsal / ligament / tissue above or so they said. Be interested to see what physio says. Been on hols to Northumberland and it would`ve been a great location to get some long runs done. image

•  

Cheeky request but this guy only has two days before his event and he is well short of his target. So if anybody has a spare quid, it would be much appreciated - thank you

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserPage.action?userUrl=SeanKennedyBrennan&pageUrl=2

• Wow! A marathon only staged once every 20 years? I'm in! Just cancelled plans to run in Cape Town for this (it'll still be there next year).

Hi ET, so sorry you've picked up an injury, I hope you can salvage something from  the series.

Was amazed to see the Guild Medal on offer for the full 4 race series but then gutted on realising I'd missed the 5k. But then did not feel so bad as I was running the Belfast Marathon that day anyway. 

I am dead enthusiastic about marathons so maybe a little optimistic but I can see this getting oversubscribed easily.

Had a look at Brian's route; absolutely love it! Those undulations are what I call "paybackers" for the most; give you equivalent down hill slope for the bit of effort you put in to get over them. Belfast has a horrible "stealer" in it; nice long upslope towards the half way point and then almost a cliff like drop where you have to shove on the breaks quite a bit to get down (for my lolloping style anyway). 

Thats a nasty little rise toward the finish once you turn off Friargate onto the Ring Way and head up the Tenterfield St ramp; I can see several hundred people burning me as I struggle up that; but bring it on!

What an amazing opportunity; well done Preston! 

• Well I completed the Ben Nevis Fell Race in 2.29 bit slower than previous efforts, but the weather was on the nasty side and once again no view on top so will be going back to get that all important view next year. My legs are like rocks today and a few deep scars on the shins to prove it. No blisters thou. The winner did 1.30 for a 10 mile race I'd not even got to the top by then. Anyway now to get back on track for Preston Marathon training and expect sometime later this week to do a 16 to 18 mile road run and then off on my hols for 2 weeks so a long run will have to be complated whilst on holiday. i aiming for 3.30, but concerned that I haven't done anywhere near the 20 mile mark yet and hopefully try to get two in before the end of October.     

• Number, that is amazing going, I'd say you have a very realistic chance to attack the 3:30 mark; read your training schedule - gob smacked! I have been after 3:30 for a good while now, pb in Belfast at 3:47 this year, then did Coniston in over 5 hours but it was an off-road affair, much tougher than I expected. I have had far too much time off since; went to the Olympics, ate far too much and did not run during that time. Got a 9 miler in last weekend and may not top out at 20 miles given only a few weeks until this one. Hoping my legs can remember how to run after the few weeks off. I fear I will struggle to crack the 4hr barrier on the day, but really looking forward to it.   

• Can anyone tell me were you order the official marathon yellow tee shirts, and we're I could collect this
  • Hi Paul,

There was a bit of a typo on the web site but I figured you have to e-mail sales@smartimageworkwear.co.uk

They replied to me at the end of August and said:-

We will be starting the Ordering Process on Monday 3rd September.
    •We will reply to your order with a estimated delivery date
    •Payment can be made by Credit Cards Over the Phone
    •We also accept Paypal Payments
    •We will advise what the Delivery Charges will be
    •Your Order can also be collected from our Trade Shop in Walton-Le-Dale
    •The Bulk Order for the Running Vests will be Printed all in one batch before the event

But, I've had no further contact from them. Their website is here: http://www.smartimageworkwear.co.uk/. Your question is a useful reminder about my order; I'll ring them today on 01772-555295.

• Hi to all runners,

I am thinking about running the Preston Marathon, but have no idea about the course.

Can somebody help me to figure out how hard it will be (flat or hilly) and what kind of weather can be expected? My daughter attends the UCLAN and so I wanted to combine a visit with a race (your hopefully nice marathon) and possibly a short break. Has anyone  any tips on the attractions around of Preston? 

Regards from Bavaria to all runners and have a good time

heidi

• Boehm the profile for the marathon can be seen here http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/70507984/

I've not verified it but it doesn't look too bad in terms of ups and downs although this will be my first marathon so I'm not expecting it to be comfortable.

• Does anyone know if you can switch between the half marathon and full marathon closer to the date if you've already entered one? I know I can run the half easily enough, but having a bit of a last minute thought of entering the full... never done one before and kind of want the option of down-sizing if I feel terrible training!

Thanks

• Quote from the latest news letter "A number of people have contacted us to change from the marathon to the half marathon and a few the other way too. We are happy to accommodate this.  We know that it is important that you enter the race that is right for you and that it reflects the training you have been doing; please let us know. "

Re the route, Brian posted the official route a few pages back. Its classed as "undulating"; I'd say its actually one of the flatter courses out there, no major climbs. I'm really looking forward to it.

• On the running vest/polo shirt front there is the prospect of wearing yours for the race if you order in time! I'm picking mine up on the Saturday, the supplier said;-

"Garments ordered on or before Tues. 16/10/12 will be available for delivery or collection after Tues. 23/10/12 (to get your garments before the Marathon on Sun. 28/10/12 please order before Tues. 16/10/12). Garments can be collected from Smart Image Workwear (opening times 8:00/17:00 weekdays, Saturday 9:00/14:00) or be collected on the day of the marathon at registration.

A print run of garments will be done after the marathon too, but, please order before the end of Tues. 06/11/12."

• Hi Everyone...  belatedly joining this long thread.

This will be my first marathon. Born & schooled in Preston (and still keen PNE fan), I've lived away since the 80s but still love the place. Went up for the Torchlight procession last weekend, which was great. Memories of being a lad in 1972! 

I've always run... but never bothered to go past 9 miles previously. But it is the Guild event that led me to sign up. 

Earlier in the thread, someone said something along the lines of it not being an official Guild event.  What's that all about? 

Happy training.

• Lowrez where are you getting this info from? I am registered for this race but not getting any updates newsletters etc.

Searched PCC site but no joy.

May be interested in polo shirts too. Where do I get details from? PM me if you dont want to look like you are advertising.

• Hi,

I've  forget to ask if there are any pacer on start-line and if yes what kind of  time they run. Id would be easier with pacer for all first-marathon- runners.... Have a great time,

heidi

• Heidi - I don't think there are any pacers. Not seen any mention of there being any. I think it will be a case of rely on your watch/ garmin!