Coastal running shoes?

Hello all,

Doing a coastal Ultra in December and need to get some Trail shoes???

I will probably only ever wear them for training and on the day then thats it. So I want some cheapy one's! Looking at the Adidas Swoop 2 or even the MoreMiles Cheviots.

But then I was wondering do I really need something this hardcore for a coastal run albeit in December?  The soles on these might be overkill, plus in training I have to cover up to 8 miles just to get to the trails I train on so the soles on the shoes will be pretty naff on the road?

Could I just do it in my Adidas Boston 3's or should I really get some trail shoes?

Advice ideas appreciated

Comments

• Some of the trail shoes I use are pretty good for a spot of tarmac too, e.g. ASICS gel trail lahar, ASICS Fuji trail sensor, ASICS gel trail attack. One is more committed: Salomon Speedcross, but then again Salomon do one from door to trail called Crossmax, but none of these are in any way minimal. In December I'd be looking for  a water resistant shoe that could handle a bit of light trail, personally, e.g. the Lahar, Sensor or a CS version of the Salomons.

PS I don't do cheap

• hi Steve.

Just looked at your choices and I really, really like the Salomons. I also quite like the the Sensors aswell. However selling on e of my children is not an option to buy a pair. Just bought some new Adidas road shoes so trying to keep the costs down a little bit on my next purchase. But if I had the money I'd have the Salomons hands down

• I really love the Speedcrosses for a good technical offroad run, and the lugs are springy enough that they'll do for asphalt to link up to the start. the others are better for a gritty trail or something, and I've run 30km+ on asphalt in both the Lahars and Attacks. The Sensors are a bit less heel drop, I think 6 mm, and feel more supple. Spending money on shoes helps keep me motivated for running, and I need to keep wearing them down so I can justify the next snazzy pair. A virtuous circleimage

• Look for last years model being sold off cheaply. Try Wiggle or achilles heal for starters.

I like the New Balance 101. They are not very good for road mileage though, nor are they water proof. Really good on trails imho.

• Try Sportsdirect especially if you have small feet. They often have trail shoes cheap. If you are going for Asics try the website rather than in-store as understand there is some issue between Asics and them at moment which is limiting store supplies.
  • I started a thread a little while back, asking about trail shoes for mud that were also good on the road. I got loads of really good suggestion which I completely ignored and bought a pair of New Balance 101's. Unlike T.mouse, I find them fine on the road. They're also really comfortable, light and breathable. They definitely aren't waterproof though, that I'll concede.

• Funny you should say that I am warming towards the New Balance. If I get an hour free today I'm going shoe shopping image I'm not set on anything but that makes it more exciting lol. Also got to get a waterproff running coat too. I think thats going to cost more than the shoes image

• I agree the MT101 are also a great trail shoe. Maybe it is wear with many miles on asphalt that is the concern?  My ideal waterproof top for long trail runs is the OMM Kamleika, which is smock-type. Some people prefer a full zip I suppose. The Montane Featherlite or something from them that's waterproof would be a good choice then.

• Steve, I recently bought a Featherlite Montane, discounted in Go Outdoors. The guy there said that to make it properly waterproof I'd be best using some wash in waterproofing agent (which coincidentally was on half price in that very shop!) Anyway, I did get some as I had a couple of another waterproofs I'd been meaning to re waterproof for a while. Seems to have improved it as it looks and feels more waterproof after using (as scientific as that is).

Anyway, back on topic, it's a good jacket and phenomenally light.

With the 101's, yes, wear could be an issue. The sole probably isn't of the most durable material. I just use them for about a mile to two miles when running to the trails I like to run. Perhaps eight miles per session on tarmac might be too much for them.

• Bought the New balance mt610. Tried on loads of shoes and these felt really comfy with lots of toe room but I was a size 10!!!! usually 8.5 lol. So lucky didnt order online! Trying them out tomorrow evening. Ideal because they apparantly are quite good on road and trail and the tread does show that. So hopefully not too bad. Also got a running hat as I need one plus a really nice Orange black Karrimor T shirt. image

• Brief update on my New New Balance MT610s.

Used them for the first time yesterday done 23 miles  without a blister! They feel extremely light as well which I wasn't expecting. Felt quite good on the road but not as nice as my Boston 3's (Which is to be expected as they are not primarily road shoes) On the trails they felt really good and I felt I could trust them straight away. I used them on soft trails, muddy tracks and wet rocks and never had a mishap. They fit like a glove and have a lot of wiggle room for my toes. My Adidas are a 9 and a little snug but I took a 10 in these and they are just about right. They look pretty good as well which is a bonus. They seem very well made and sturdy and the fabric inside feels very cushioned. The only trouble I had was along the top of my foot where I think I tied the laces too tight. I had a slight ache after running. But to be able to run 23 miles in brand new shoes without any problems is bloody good I think. I'm glad I went for the cheaper shoe because if I'd spent 100£ I dont think I could have asked for more image its the first pair of new balance i have ever owned so I was a bit dubious but wouldn't hesitate to purchase more after these and at 28£ a real bargain me thinks

Oh alos purchased a RonHill Running jacket from Sportsshoes.com waiting for that to come will stick on here what I think of that too. RonHill advance wind lite for 25quid. Looks pretty smart and matches my new trainers image

• You've got some bargains there. Good of you to report back how they're going. I once had a simple Ron Hill runing jacket that was not breathable in any way and I stopped using it because it was too hot. Mind you, almost anything is at any pace above easy. Hope the Wind Lite works out.

• Well the windlite is meant to be breathable, water resistant and wind proof. Way I look at it, if its raining and blowing a hooley no matter what your wearing your getting wet. Just need something to keep the cold and wind away in the winter. Hopefully will do the job. I've only ever owned a 10quid karrimor hivis jacket that basically makes you sweat even if its minus 20 outside. Its like wearing a bin bag. But hopefully this will be different image

• It's not the Pembs coastal thing you're doing by any chance?
  • Hi Steve,

Its the Dorset CTS through Endurancelife

• I have received my RonHill Jacket. 25 quid. First impressions really really thin. Very light. Looks pretty waterproof to me. I think it looks really smart. I know it sounds daft but I wasn't too sure what to expect as the only running jacket I have has like a mesh insert and the shell which you just sweat into loads. Its only a single layer . I have a breathable Cycling jacket which is pretty decent and this seems to made out of the same stuff. The proof of the pudding is in the tasting so I will give it a go next time it rains but looking at it I think it will do the job image