Asthma and Diet

Hi Runners!

There is increasing evidence that the management of exercise induced asthma could be improved through the diet.

I am a PhD student and am currently investigating the use of novel dietary manipulation on exercise induced asthma. I am looking for volunteers with exercise induced asthma, or suspected exercise induced asthma to take part in some novel research that is being conducted at Nottingham Trent University.

Who can take part? – Physically active men (training 3-4 hours a week) aged 18-45, who get wheezy and tight chested during exercise or on the cessation of exercise and/or have asthma.

What will you get out of it? – The study will involve an initial assessment to establish the level of your exercise induced asthma (it is commonly misdiagnosed!), provide free fitness testing, and potentially reduce your asthma symptoms. You will be required to attend the lab pre and post the dietary interventions so that assessments on your lung function and exercise induced asthma can be made.

No prior medical diagnosis of asthma is required to volunteer for the study. If the tests reveal that you have previously undiagnosed exercise induced asthma that deserves medical attention you will be provided with a report of your tests and we will write to notify your GP.

Next Step - If you would like more information please contact

Mr Neil Williams: neil.williams2010@my.ntu.ac.uk, 0115 8483820 or

Dr Michael Johnsons: michael.johnson@ntu.ac.uk

This study has been approved by Nottingham Trent University’s Ethics Committee

Many Thanks,

Neil Williams

Sport, Health and Performance Enhancement (SHAPE) Research Group

School of Science and Technology, Clifton

Nottingham Trent University

Comments