'Mature' runners.

Comments

• Oh Red, so sorry to hear about your breathing difficulties coming back. I do sympathise about not wanting to take medication, especially if it's steroid kind of stuff.

I could hardly believe it about the Hillsborogh news. It's not as though it was just a bit of a fudge, - it seems to have been a deliberate, thought-out, calculated attempt to deceive.

• Despicable.

Red - I can only add to what others have said, bad news about your breathing problem.

So the Olympics is over - are we now reverting to the normal daily grubbiness with those pics of Kate?

• Morning all,

Oh I know IW.  You'd have thought they'd leave Wills and Kate alone as they are such a lovely couple and doing good work, but no, they just couldn't help themselves.

No running today and glad of it.  Thanks for the good wishes about my increasingly annoying breathing issues.  I'm sure I'll get it under control eventually.

Have a lovely weekend everyone.

• Red, so sorry to hear that your breathing problems have returned. I know I have said it before, but I still believe a few rest days would help.

I agree about the disgraceful state of affairs regarding the Hillsborough findings. The police were made to change their statements, and whole paragaphs of their reports were deleted. Ambulances were refused permission to go onto the pitch, and were informed that they would be arrested if they did. There was only one ambulance allowed, and that was a St. Johns. There was always a St Johns on duty. The PM has made a sincere apology, and I hope he follows it through with a thorough investigation into those responsible.

I feel really sorry for Kate, as she will be hounded 24/7 like Diana. The only positive is that she has a husband who loves her, and she is popular with the rest of the Royal Family who will give her support.

Had an excellent track session last night, and my efforts were faster than I was doing before my hammie pull. We did 5 sets of 800 metres, with 1.5 min jogs between each set. I ran the first 800 rather too quickly, as the last 4 were a bit slower, but consistent. Splits were :- 3.33 3.45 3.41 3.43 3.40.

• Redhead, i hope everything gets sorted out for you soon.

5 miles this aft. and had to  battle against  the wind which took away some of  the  enjoyment.

On the Hillsborough issue, the authorities were aware of problems with their policing policy of Hillsborough as early as November 1982  when a similar incident took place at the Sheffield Weds. and Barnsley game, no one was killed, so no action was taken, it was a disaster waiting to happen and in 1988 it did. The reason i know this, is because i was there and subsequently submitted evidence to the taylor enquiry.

• OT - You were there at the Hillsborough disaster? Or at the Sheffield Weds v. Barnsley game?

The Tour of Britain came through my home town this morning, passing very close to where I live, so of course i went out to watch. There was a breakaway group of 6, or more correctly of 5+1 (the 1 being a few yards behind the 5). Then all of 6 minutes gap before the main block of cyclists came through with a hiss of tyres before disappearing over the hill towards Builth Wells. Blink and you'd missed it.

• Columba, at the Sheff.Wed v Barnsley match.

• A good pace run on roads this morning of 8 miles. Total time 1.14.34, an average of 9.19. Mile splits were :- 10.36 9.23 9.14 9.09 8.58 9.32 8.58 8.40. Feeling in good form now, for the NF Half Marathon a week tomorrow.

• TE - you'll be tapering, then, the rest of this week?

Just ran 5.25 hilly miles. Hadn't decided, when I set out, whether I was just going to run to the lake, once round, and back home, or whether (having reached the lake) to carry on up the hill to the golf course and thence back home along a farm track and a quiet lane. En route, decided to respond to the challenge of the hills.

• Columba, yes, rest day tomorrow, easy 5 miler Monday, hill session Tuesday with the Club, easy runs Wednesday and Thursday, and rest days Friday and Saturday. Tuesdays session will be the last quality session before the race. Well done on taking on the challenge of the hills!

Now off to watch Strictly come Dancing, and Dr. Who.

• Went for a long walk with Nemo, felt good and it's a really beautiful sunny day so added on an extra bit and picked up the pace a bit - starting to get really twitchy about not being allowd to run for another 3 months.

John took little Charly to the local lake for a swimming lesson, he seems to have got the hang of it.

• Afternoon all,

Grotty Redhead here.   I've been a sensible girlie and taken the weekend off with no running or anything too energetic.  Hasn't made any difference though as I still feel like poo and it just means I've got 3 days of horse-poo to pick and other chores etc etc.  May have to head off to the quack again at this rate.

IW, awh, bless him.  I love seeing doggies going for a swim image

Columba, good for you.  Hills are our friends.

TE, you need a nice gentle week to store up all your energy for you pb next weekend image

OT, hopefully Andy Burnham is going to take things forward as he, like you, had bad experiences there.  I can't understand how the FA allowed big matches to be played there given the history.

JJ, the off-roading will be building your leggies back up to their usual speediness!

EG, don't be shy - we don't bite (often!).

• Red, except for Tuesdays hill session, it will be a gentle weeks running, with Friday and Saturday as rest days. No chance of a pb, which is 1.20.58, set way back in 1993. I don't know where I came in my age category whch was 45-50, but I was 210th overall. I think that time nowadays would put me way up the list. I haven't really got a target for next weeks race, but aim for sub 2 hours. If this goes well, I hope to go quicker in the Solent Half, which is 3 weeks later.

Enjoyed watching the GNR this morning, but have no wish to ever partake. Far too many runners for my liking.

• Bloody spammers,and that's swearing! What exactly do they get out of posting all this stuff?

• It's really annoying, and at weekends, it is volunteers who try their best to keep up with it. It seems that Dominique has left RW now, so hopefully her replacement will have better luck with the IT bods!

• BI, no evidence of spammers today for me.

Another 3 miles after work tonight in very fine rain and worringly as i'm on this thread tonight my left knee is complaining and painful.

• Morning all,

It's a lovely day here and although still feeling grotty the sunshine has lifted my spirits image  

I've decided to take my annual week of rest starting from last Friday so no running, swimming, static bike/rower/trampoline/weights, poo picking or heavy gardening until this coming Friday.  I usually save this until after the last marathon of the year has been run but I think my body might benefit from it now in preparation for Beachy Head.  Last week was my lowest mileage of the year at 22 so it tells me I need a break.

TE, 1:20?  Oh my goodness you were a speedy boy image  That is really impressive.

JJ, glad the weather's fine for your fenestration (I love that word!) project.

I'm not usually troubled by the spammers as I just click on 'my bookmarks' to bring me here.

• OT, bad news about your knee. Best to have a few rest days to give it time to recover.

JJ, I think you are very wise in your new attitude to running and training. You have nothing more to prove, and deserve to run now for pleasure and fitness.

Red, glad that you are taking a weeks rest, and hoping that it will help your recovery. Your body will certainly benefit from the break.

Will be going for an easy pace 5 miler this morning, in bright sunshine.

• Redhead, rest days are the secret weapon in any training plan. I'm resting too the knee is aching, trouble is, its footie night tomorrow.

• JJ - there were 3 or 4 M70s doing the Lake Vyrnwy half mara.

Red - I first met that word in a history lesson, as "The defenestration of Prague". Somebody threw somebody else out of a window, thus contributing to the precipitation of the First World War; but I can't remember who or whom or how. I suppose I could Google it.

A week's rest, - very sensible. Enjoy it.

OT - RICE - and think seriously about giving Footie a miss.

Been swimming.

• JJ, it is quite frustrating also at my age (66), as I fall into the age category 60-70, thus having little or no chance of getting in the first three. When I was in my forties and early fifties, I knew that I was in with a good chance of being in the first three, and often was. This was an added incentive to train and race hard. Now, my motivation is against myself, trying to obtain good WAVA ratings. This morning I ran an easy pace 5 miles on roads in 49.44, an average of 9.57. Tomorrow is a hill session witht the Club, which will be my last hard session before Sundays race.

• Afternoon peeps,

Being sensible sucks, to use an Americanism which seems pretty darned appropriate!  I've had to limit my exercise to walking along our hedherows picking rosehips and blackberries which have now been turned into syrup and jelly respectively.  It'll be the sloes next.........

OT, you're going to have to skip the football tonight then aren't you!

• Red - what will you do with the sloes, - sloe gin?

Out with the club tonight; on the road, for a change. Once round the lake to warm up, then a succession of short circular runs on hilly bits of road. The fast ones went 3 times round each mini-route, the slower ones twice, and I went once, and filled in the time either running up and down short bits or reversed direction and ran until I met the others coming back.