Marathon training on an athletics track

Hello all,

I was lucky enough to complete the 2011 Las Vegas marathon last year. If anyone followed it, you'll know it was a logistical nightmare and many people said they'd never do it again! I'm not so cynical, and I'm willing to hit the Strip again this December.

Last year I suffered with some pretty bad ITBS. Rookie mistakes like over running on the road camber and increasing my mileage way too fast. I was a little naive back then and did a 9 mile run for my first training run. Looking back there's no wonder my leg didn't just fall off!

So this year I am now three weeks into my training and doing 20 miles a week comfortably. I do still have a few little niggles in my right knee, but I've learnt some fantastic stretching exercises and have all the right (but very expensive) food supplements for my already vastly improved diet.

One thing I have thought of to try and fend off any potential injuries has been to do most of my training runs on an athletics track; even the Sunday long runs.

I'd like to ask if anyone has any advice as to the affects of such training? Will my knees die of shock when they hit the road again?

Keep loose people!

Comments