Age 25, MHR 190?

Is maximum heart rate of 190 normal for age 25? I'm really concerned about having a heart issue. My hear rate goes beyong 160 during a slow jog on a flat surface. It goes beyond 180 if I do the same slow jog on a shallow hill. That's knowing my BMI is in the normal range and I don't look fat at all. Could it all be normal or is a sign of cardiovascular problems?

Thank you.

Comments

• It's just a figure. Perfectly possible that it's normal.

Id throw the hrm away if it's worrying you that much.

It can't be good for your heartimage
  • Hey MB, a predicted maximum heart rate is just that.  There are 'normal' figures based on massive population samples, but your real max is your max and no-one else's.  Some people have much higher max figures than that and it doesn't mean they're ill.  Mine's higher than predicted for my age, but that doesn't mean anything.

Now, if you're concerned about your HR being high relative to the exercise you're doing, that's a different matter.  It may well be (and not saying it is) - but that's just a snapshot of where you are now.  After a few weeks to months of consistent training of the right type, it will come down - has to! 

If you're worried, as always, go to your GP - no-one on this forum can be a substitute.  Then once you've got the all-clear, set some performance or training goals (but not based on lowering your heart -rate - that's a by-product, not a goal in itself)! image

• Going by 'Normal' a 25 year old would be 220-25=195.

I'm 43, mine should be 220-43=177. It isn't it's 193.

You're basically very unfit if you're getting to 180 on a slow jog and your max is 190. How did you arrive at the 190 figure?

How long have you been running?

How often do you run?

What mileages are you doing?

Are you following a program?

Your BMI has no relation to your fitness.
  • Thanks all for the replies. Well, that surprised me that my BMI has *no relation* to my fitness. I've always supposed you are fit if you're not fat!!

I got that figure from my Motoactv I recently bought image

I've been running for around 3 months now. Not too longimage. and I run about 3 times a week. I'm actually following this plan http://www.209events.com/file/250.pdf for a 10km event I will have at the end of October. I think my progress has been quite satisfactory in terms of endurance. I ran 9 miles 3 day ago. That's knowing three months ago I could hardly run 10 minutes continuously. But the problem is I can't run fast. The maximum pace I've ever reached while sprinting was 6:30 mins per mile. At such paces my heart is about jumping out of my mouth. And in general for a specific pace my heart rate seems abnormally high. hmm, and weekly mileage, it's increasing but last week, I guess it was about 16.

• don't agree with the totally unfit............I did a double ironman this year .........and my HR is often over 160 on a run.....witha  max around 190...I'm a  bit older than Mobile Bear so mine should be lowerimage

People are just different

fitness and fatness are not the same thingimage

• ive never used a hr monitor so god knows what my heart does

so what if ur heart is 160 u gonna stop running because of it? no coz thats stupid!

ignore what it says aka throw it away and enjoying the run!

• A slow jog up a slight incline gets you to 180. But you can reach 6:30/mile pace?

What was your HR at 6:30/mile pace?

Really you need to experiment with the HR monitor to get the best out of it. Factors like overtraining, illness and heat play a part.
  • Mobile Bear wrote (see)

I got that figure from my Motoactv I recently bought image

But how did your Motoactv come up with that figure?

The only way to know your maximum heart rate is to do a test.

Heart Rate Training

• My HR does the same within 30 seconds of loading. Thankfully I'm fat so it's blatantly obvious I'm unfit image
  • Just because you are not fat doesn't mean you are fit!

My MHR is 198, possibly higher, and I'm fairly fit (and not very fat).

• "My hear rate goes beyong 160 during a slow jog on a flat surface. It goes beyond 180 if I do the same slow jog on a shallow hill.

The maximum pace I've ever reached while sprinting was 6:30 mins per mile. At such paces my heart is about jumping out of my mouth. And in general for a specific pace my heart rate seems abnormally high."

How long was the 'sprint', and how high was your heart rate during it. 6:30 pace is FAST for a beginner, what pace do you consider a slow jog - I'd say a slow jog is 10 m/mile+.

True max heart rate I think is not that easy to find out, I have hit 195 at the end of a 5k race sprinting but have never come anywhere near it doing the hill sprint/jog/hill sprint interval that is supposed to predict it. I would venture to guess your true maximal heart rate is probably slightly over 200 with those numbers.

• Motoactv takes a test of you and determines your MHR and heart rate zones based on the test. It consists of running for 8 mins with the highest speed that you can maintain without stopping or slowing down. So that's how it determined my MHR.

By slow jog uphill I mean around 11 min / mile. Anyway I did not keep that 6:30 min/mile for long if that's what impresses you!! This is the maximum pace I've ever reached which I think is miserably low. It was at the end of the 8 minutes when my hr reached 190.

• My maximium HR according to Garmin, when I sprint finish a 5k is 207.  I've had that reading a few times.

If you are paranoid about your heart you could try and make it to a free heart screening session that CRY do?

http://www.c-r-y.org.uk/ecg.htm 

I've had one done myself.

• Thanks. They don't seem to have a branch in Switzerland though image