Sunday 16th September 2012

Morning.

Lyrics: Customer; Morning, Waitress; Morning

Good running from both of you FRJ, lovely to see it coming back.

Alehouse - glad that your mum was on form and the visit not too stressful. I had a good 20 mile run, thanks. They are getting easier. I've accepted three days a week extra work temporarily (until a new post holder can be recruited) commencing a week on Monday so this will be my last week for long midweek runs, should fit in ok with Abingdon I think if I keep the LSR at 20 miles for the next two weeks and try to include more, shorter midweek runs with some MP effort in at least?

Dustin - not always easy stepping up toplay in the senir team, hope your girls maintain their enthusiasm.

Tom - look after your calf! Don't want over enthusiasm to dent your continued progress.

Go Wabo!

What:         either a bike or a swim
Why:          caution, ran long yesterday and left ankle is achey
Last hard:   haven't really done hard for a while
Last rest:    14/9

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Morning LMH

My pc froze as I was starting todays thread !

Oh well

Rest day for me, but been out for an hour walking geordie.

Hate the spammersimage

All the best to any racing.

• ale: Ha Ha re calf commentimage

LMH: Hope ankle holds up okay.

• Starting back swimming tomorrow. Running and cycling to follow.

More false dawns than the Euro (I hope I'm not heading towards the same inevitable end!!!)

• Morning!

What: Walked to the shops and back and it was not the greatest of experiences.
    Why: left Achilles and calf both painful. Exercise bike yes, anything with weight on my feet, no.

Lyrics: no

Last hard: keeping cheerful!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • morning all! Been bogged down at work and have been unable to keep up with the forum. Will try and read back though.

Hope everyone is ok - good luck to anyone out there racing today. It's GNR time innit? Not sure I would want to cope with those masses... looks a bit scary to me.

what: 22 miles with 3 x 5 @ MP in there
    why: last long one - yay!!
    last hard: 3rd set @ MP into the wind hurt like hell image
    last rest: Thursday
    lyrics: yep! Very apt ...

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Hey ho, here we go!

LMH and Chick very impressive LSRs this morning.

Alehouse: Have you considered the f*ck it approach to your injury. It's always been my approach of last resort, which is to do absolutely nothing for about 6-8 weeks. The obvious effect of this is that the damage to the calf/achilles will heal, but of course yo will get shorting, fused muscle fibres and scar tissue. The comeback phase (probably about a month) is then regular expert deep massage together with daily self massage across the muscle using say a cricket ball together with stretching, stretching and stretching. Only then move on to very basic low level strengthening work.

Everything that you do during these phases is about rehab and recovery and has nothing to do with fitness at all. I'd guess that you've already reached that mindset after your trials and tribulations of this year.

For myself I ran a very easy 9M with middle 3M off road section very slowly. Ave pace was 8:34. Legs were feeling a bit battered from yesterday, but now much revived from the run.

Enjoy the rest of the day.
  • Afternoon,

Just bumping this up to the top of the list!

Looking forward to a few reports shortly!

Tom: I hear you! Will discuss with phys, masseuse and running doc! At the moment feel "so close yet so far"!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Afternoon all. Was meant to be the Kilkenny Half-Marathon but that was cancelled, as discussed in a previous episode of Sevendaughters' Whines. The make-up event was the Sutton Six 10k in Guilden Sutton, nr. Chester. A lightly undulating road course with a field of around 300. Something made me realise that I'd not run an official 10k since early mid-June, so I felt that a PB (43.52 at this point) should be easy enough. Maybe more...

Feeling ambitious, I decided to aim for 42.00 at an even pacing strategy of 4.12 per km. I still get unduly concerned with other runners lashing it out of the gates, so the portents of doom were circling as the first km went by in 3.59. Too fast. Slowed a little and ran in the trail of the first lady. Second km was still too fast. The third was about right, but the fourth and fifth were uphill and into the wind, so by halfway I was at 21.25 and fading fast.

Six and seven passed by, struggling a bit, trying to take in oxygen but thankful for a long light decline with the wind. At 8km my watch read 35 mins flat. Something clicked (in a good way) and the final two km were the smoothest of the lot, going 4.00 & 3.57 for them, with a nice finish in 42.57 (43.01 on the gun, but I was way back at the start) and a new PB.

On the whole it was pleasing, though I'd rather have been running the HM I'd trained for 12 weeks for.

Good LSRs everyone who did one!

• Another PB 7d - well done.

Waiting for Wabo to report in image

Tom - my LSR was yesterday but thank you. Nowhere near the league of chickadee's though, just steady miles.

You must be so frustrated Alehouse - feel free to rant and moan.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Well done 7D. With more experience of racing more evenly your 10k will soon drop further...especially when you are running 19 something regularly!

LMH: if I thought ranting and raving would get me anywhere believe me I'd be doing it!!

Nice work Chick.

Now where are Wabo and RFJ (and son)?
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

well done 7D nice new PB....

We have one of those here in the RFJ household... where Jnr became a man in the sence of running today............... we went to Victory 5, last year he did 34:00 and was in 13th place for the club.... today he was 1st in for the club in a gob smacking awesome time of 28:56 in 32nd place overall out off over 600 runners of which there were less than 100 unattached runners....... he really ran well today...

I stated that I wanted to get close to 30 but would behappy be anything under 31.... well am happy here too with a 30:26, not my best but happy and consistant splits made it worth while...6:02, 6:04, 6:05, 6:07, 6:07. good day at the office....

2m warm up and 2m cool down for 9m for the day...

• Nice, RFJ and son! Well done to both!

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

I told porkies, he came 35th....

• What: now in Englandshire after pleasant overnight in Edinburgh seeing 3 of the offspring.

Why: bit of holiday before Langdale half

Last hard: Tuesday 4th

Last rest: Friday (Saturday wasn't rest - with gone midnight to bunk followed by 6:30 wake-up, drive to Edinburgh followed by socializing with family - however enjoyable.)

Good running LMH RFJ chick and 7D image
  • Evening

What Nothing
    Why Trip to the zoo
    Lyrics no

LMH sounds like a good plan.

Well done RFJ and 7D

Yesterdays lyrics were REM's "Everybody hurts". Listened to this during my LSR and got me on a number of levels. So "Hold on" everyone it can get better. 

• A great finish to the GNR today, did anyone else see it?
    Pirates were out at IM Wales, great racing there RFJ (& son). Both are very hot times.
    Lovely to see Chick banging out a big mileage, and fantastic to see 7D knock out a toasty PB.

Just a swim today. Two new peeps joined the session, but I am still the slowest by a measurable amount. OK I wasn't on form, but there's more to it than that.