Spamming

Not sure if anyone has noticed, but the gear forum is getting hammered with Spam, anyway they can be blocked from posting?

Comments

• James...the RW team said they have a new system which I believe will be going live in the next week or so............there is a thread somewhere..............in the meantime there are 4 people on the forums who can remove the posts when they come up..........looks like today that all 4 of us must have been busy in the real world and the spammers have taken over a bit.......

this happens occassionally so hopefully the new system will make us redundant

• This time it's extreme. I've binned about 200 messages this afternoon.
  • I took a lot out this morning and some more this evening............but ws out of teh house a lot today...........

• @kittenkat - if you know how to automatically detect spam of this sort, feel free to enlighten.

• Some of us enjoy the forums and will continue to try and keep it spam free until they can sort it out.........

I'm sure the 4 of us are capable of contacting the team if we feel that we no longer whant to do it... i think that is an individual choice

• I'm sure there will be a way to block ip addresses and groups of IP addresses?
  • seren nos wrote (see)

Some of us enjoy the forums and will continue to try and keep it spam free until they can sort it out.........

I'm sure the 4 of us are capable of contacting the team if we feel that we no longer whant to do it... i think that is an individual choice

Well said

• FFS, this is only a forum. Your life will not end because of spam threads that appear over a weekend.

Why should RW care about the forum? What do they get from it? Why should the staff be expected to be on hand over the weekend to clear spam?

Why don't RW get rid of the forum completely? That will stop the detractors who complain endlessly how boring it is and about the spam. Surely that's the simplest thing to do!

Why do RW need to keep us briefed on what is happening behind the scenes. We don't need to know; it's none of our business.

And while i am here, thanks to the spam wombles for your efforts. It was kind of you to take on responsibility and it's a shame that there was a blast of spam this weekend when it would all appear you were out getting a life image