RW Forum Six - 3.30

199100101102103105»

Comments

• Gazelle, great to see that spring back in your step image  I'm so pleased you have come through your dark training days.  I think those are the times that help us recalibrate along the way and they help us remember why we are doing it as when it feels good, it feels amazing!!!

PP and FF, great to see you again, albeit in very sad circumstances.  PP, I am still in awe of your TR24 performance!!  I really hope you will be recovered in time for Chester.

FRTC, sounds like you absolutely gave it your all in that race, exactly what Shaggy would have wanted!  Nicely done image

I hope your session went well, Brolish!

Podiatrist today image  I'm extremely bored with being injured.  Oh well, good to get some dark days out of the way before I even begin my marathon training image

• Morning.

Speed Sheep - hope your legs improves and the Podiatrist works some magic. Your build up was going so well.

FRTC - Raced hard as always and confgrates on sub 40min 10km.

Brolish and Gazelle, strange to start to hear talk of tapers again, both of you seem to be on top of your training again, Brolish good luck with the half at the weekend.

Sorry for not posting much over the last couple of weeks, i've been busy at home and work and seem to have lost motivation. I have still done all of my planned training sessions and cross training with the appropriate vigour but still feel a little lost for inspiration. I'm still struggling with the pace of my interval sessions, this week 6x1200m @ 6:15-20mm the last couple were more like 6:30-35mm and the same the previous week. My longs and tempos are fine managed 16miles with 13 @7:30mm last Saturday and not worried about 9 with 6 @ 7:15 tonight. I think the main problem is not having decided on which marathon to do in spring if any. I still want a 3:30 but the fire isn't there at the moment.

• SS Good luck today with the Podiatrist, hopefully this will be a new beginning to your running careerimage 

FRTC Can we have a read of your sub 40 10k race please, I wonder how many more minutes you can knock off between now and Christmas??

ST Sending lots of motivation your wayimage Would it be worth trying to start off your speed session's at 6:30mm and then finish the last rep at 6:15-6:20mm? Might be worth a try and then it may bring back your confidence that the last rep was quicker than the first?  All of your other sessions sound very fast, you will be joining the "FRTC Speedy thread" soon. You will get the fire once you know which marathon you will be racing, you should know about London at the beginning of October I think. Good luck tonight with the 6@7:15 gulp.

I have just completed 5miles! avg 8:53mm. On Saturday I have to run 20miles with 10miles @ MP Gulp, Gulp, Gulp. I think I dread the build up for the long runs as I'm scared I wont be able to keep up the pace.

• Gazelle- you will be fine with 10m @ MP.  It only sounds scary.image And you can't say you didn't ask for it!!! Lol.image

• Hi Scuba!  Good to have you back image  I know exactly what you mean about feeling a little lost.  I know London is what you're aiming for, but might it be worth entering something else like Brighton or Edinburgh, or even something abroad, Paris perhaps, and then seeing what happens in the ballot.  That way, if you don't get a place in London you have another race to run.  If you do get in, you can defer your place for the following year?  All the other big spring marathons fill up pretty fast (as I found out when I tried to enter something in March when I was injured) so best to do it now to secure a place.  Or look for something else in the UK which is a little more low key.  

Alternatively, scrap the spring marathon malarky and get entering Dubai in Jan! You know you are more than welcome to come and stay image  OH and I will be running the 10k so we will get you to the start line on time.  Just think of that lovely winter sun........

Podiatrist lovely, he's very confident this is going to help.  I just want to get back on the roads, but in reality it is going to be November before I'm running again.  2012 is one year I would rather forget.

Gazelle, I'm sure you will get into your smooth MP running groove image  As Brolish says, it only sounds scary when you think about it, once you are running it you will just, well, run it!!

• Are we staying with the thread or not? very busy on other one.. unsure.

Gazelle what did you want to know about the 10k? I posted a little race report in the other thread. Similar to the race on Tuesday though, I actually caught up with a fellow club runner, a way faster one at 4.5 miles.. said hello and freaked him out. Only finished 10 secs behind. Official time published as 39:22 today. Our club speed merchant won, in sub 34.. scary.

I'm sure its short 0.1m at least, so assume more like low to mid 40min. Still a stonking improvement in 3 months, and my speed is still improving.

Scuba, you will get your Mojo. Those sessions sound tough on your own. I do most speed sessions with club runners and it helps. 3/4m @ 6:15 is tough. what recovery were you doing? Wondered if they were lactate intervals or speed ones. Maybe give Edinburgh a try? I can vouch for it.

Gazelle good luck on the run at weekend. Pick a good route, you know is flat.Or maybe the method I've said before 4 mile run, go there & back, then 3, then 2 out back then 1... so 4/4/3/3/2/2/1/1 = 20. Or maybe your 10@MP, then club run straight after. I'm doing this with a pal sunday going for sub4 ish.

Speed Sheep, hope you will be sorted with the podiatrist help. Did you carry on doing the circuits? I used to do spin classes but found I plateau-ed eventually. Circuits never... you can always push harder, lift more and less impact. Spin could be a little hard on my achilles too, especially if they do any spin backwards sections.

Magic Mile Saturday, 21m planned sunday as above with pal. Oh, 10 miles tonight, 9@ sub 8mm, and final mile in 7:15.

• ST- good pace on your runs as always.  I agree with the others- sounds like you need a new target to get the motivation going.

Gazelle- good luck tomorrow, you will blast 10m @ MPimage.

FRTC- good luck with the magic mile, better you than meimage.

The weather is looking better every day for Sunday, it's overcast and cool and I don't think it should get over 16 degrees by mid day.  Very excited.

• FRTC How about posting on both and see how we get on? What did I want to know about the 10k?  ummmmm How can I run that fastimage I wouldn't worry about the 0.1mile, was it an officially measured race? If so take it.  I hope lots of people turn up for your magic mile event, good luck to you.

Brolish, I can't wait for your half on Sunday, I hope it goes to plan after all your speed work, just don't go out too fast.

SS Roll on November when the serious running startsimage

Rest day for me today so I have been painting the ceiling and now have white specs of paint all over! Doh.  I have sorted out two 10 mile routes for tomorrow, each consist of 5 miles and then back to the beginning, FRTC I was scared to do it the way you suggested as I would be tempted to stop if the going got though!

Chester sent this message out yesterday:

The 2012 MBNA Chester Marathon Live Results system is now available.

Participants, family and friends can all use the Live Results free system to share in the fun.  Sign up now to have race progress posted directly to your Facebook or Twitter feeds!

On race day, spectators can get the status of runners in real-time using the Participant Tracker & Leaderboard.  Details such as time, pace and estimated finish time will be instantly available!

Wit woo

Good luck to all racers for the weekend. Enjoy.

• P.s FRTC I have no flat training routes close to home image

• yes, it was an officially measured race.. plus it says 10k in the title. He He.. so I'm having it ! As for running that fast, 2 speed sessions is helping definitely. 6:15 mm was my burnout pce wise 6-8 weeks ago, I may get close to 5:45 tomorrow with the racing flats.

Maybe I'm a little weird, I kinda like the speed sessions. image They feel tough but I'm so used to circuits when you smash it to point of fatigue for 20-30-40 seconds that 3 minutes or 6 minutes is just less pain.  Don't think we will get many for the magic mile, it was more an after thought to list something.

Good weekend all. Gazelle, enjoy your 20. we can track you on Oct 7th !

Good luck Brol ! remember Shaggy. Be Brilliant.

• FRTC, 5:45 or under I hope for tomorrowimage If your weird then so am I as I love speed sessions, short and sweet. Who invented the marathon or ultra's hey! Oh must stop talking or typing with negative thoughts, we do it because we love it!!!!!!!!!!

• Awesome, I am signed up so will FB stalk you on the day, Gazelle image

No plateau-ing at spin, FRTC, that's what the dial is for - just turn it up and make it harder!

I got back in the pool yesterday for the first time in ages which was really good.  I will incorporate more swimming into my training, definitely!!

• SS Best I put in a good performance then on race day hey! Next you will be doing tri's with all the spinning and swimmingimage

FRTC How did your One Mile time trial go?

20miles for me this morning went very well, the last 10miles were done between 7:31mm and 7:35mm so very happy with that. It was slightly faster than "The Boss" suggested but I just went with the flow. We have just got back from a Pie and Ale festival now getting ready for a house party!

Best of luck tomorrow Brolish, let us know what your new pb is asap.

• Gazelle- that's a cracking MP run whoop whoopimage
  • Brolish - Good luck with your Half tomorrow, hope the weather is kind to you for once. Don't be shit.....

• Thanks ST I will do my bestimage
  • Great run Gazelle.

Is there a hint of a time with the MP section then?

SS, yes, I know about the dial in spin, used to do 2 classes back to back for 2 years when I couldn't run much due to my heel.. Did 3 hours for charity last year. On the other hand, if i couldn't run..

This mornings miles...Aiming to beat time of 5.52 of 2 weeks ago, tried the racing flats again for a little extra speed image

First one 5.46.7 went out hard from start and pushed all the way.

Second, legs felt tired on first quarter to half, thought I was way off pace, 5.49

You really can run a mile tons of different ways, hard at start, slower start, increase pace in middle.. Like a super compressed version of 10k/ half or marathon tactics. (More tomorrow after Brol.)

Third one All out, 5.45 dead..

7 seconds off in 2 weeks, 30 seconds off mile time in 8 weeks, very happy with that. image

Good luck Brol ! Do it for Shaggy. imageimage
  • Great running, everyone!!  Gazelle, I'm so glad your MP miles went brilliantly image  Confidence should have received a much-needed boost so well done you.

FRTC, I think you should be on a sub-5 by next year the way you're going!

Scuba T, how is your running mojo?  Have you made any decisions on next year's racing?

Brolish, looking forward to hearing your race report.  I've got everything crossed for you!!!!!

Spin and S+C later, physio tomorrow.  Plus ca change......

• Hey everyone, just a quick check in fore now, more to follow. I bang on equaled my pb of 1:37:52so not deliriously happy but at least it means I'm back at my best after a few crap races with 5 more weeks of full on training before NY. Will break 1:37 next time! Absolutely knackeredimage
  • Hey, well done Brol!!! That's excellent! image Glad to hear you are back at your best!!

• FRTC, 3x1 at under 5:50! Brilliant! I've managed twice under 6 mins this year, but that was on separate occasions and neither of them were sub 5:50. So Another well done!

S Sheep, I'm also a fan of spin, but slightly jealous of you at the mo, cos I can't get to spin classes at the moment. image I know you've had a rough year with injuries,, but at least you can smile about your spin and your core work. How is mission six pack coming along?

Gazelle! That sounded like a cracking MP run. you must have been pleased to bank that one. image

ST Nice to hear that the training is still going well. I know what you mean about motivation tho, I've still not entered a race for autumn or spring. Thinking about Bexhill half in november (if there's still places) and Brighton half in February. But not sure yet.

My running's going ok though. Today I did 12 (flat course) at 7:25mm, although pace was a bit uneven, fast out (wind behind me) slower return, (headwind!) but both halves were fairly even in themselves.

don't think I mentioned tho, earlier this week I did 10 miler at 7:10 pace along very similar course. "Why so fast?" you might ask. Tbh, I was just thinking about shaggy as I set off and thinking, "most of all he'd want us to run, and to enjoy it" so that's what I did. Not much else I can say really.

Waves to all

• Brolish - Great HM well done, your splits do show that you need more race practice to get your pacing on target.

FRTC - Great mile racing

Juggler - Great running 10miles at 7:10 wow.

Did 13miles with 10 at 7:40mm on Saturday and 3.5miles cross country recovery on Sunday and just got into work after 30 min swim this morning.

• Juggler- that's some very impressive running.

ST- same for you. 10m@7:40 is very good indeed.

Yes, I'm aware that I faded badly in the last 3 miles and it hurt like hell to be honest but I wanted to give it a good bash from the start and it was a bit hard to predict what I was capable of. Doing the Royal Parks half in 3 weeks time. Will probably set off at a similar pace and hope I can hold it to the end this time.

Otherwise decided to ditch VLM next year and concentrate on shorter stuff for a few months. I think I need a bit of a break from marathons.
  • Hello,

Apologies for not posting for the last few weeks, most of us from this thread have started to post over on Shaggys home thread "Minni v Dubai Dave". I have missed a few people and I hope your training is still going great, so I thought if you are still popping on here then please post on hereimage

Take care

Gazelle

• Cheers FRC, I have just noticed your name change??? Where has the "T" Gone?image