Sub 3h15

Comments

• Sorry to disappoint. GNR report = DNS. 

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Was that a pragmatic decision with an eye on the main goal, or did you just not feel well enough to start? 

• Speedy- probably wise decision. Better than DNF and a more depleted immune system. Chin up and onwards to Munich.
  • Good P&D 14@MP there from DM. If you can do 14@MP solo then that is MP, no need to back off: be brave. You will have a full taper and all the crowd and race day adrenaline to help you along.

Bad luck there speedy, consolation is it is not your A race. Look back at Race Jase and his VLM campaign and how it all came back at the end.

I did my first serious race (i.e. one you pay to enter and not parkrun) today since time off with injury. It was a club champs race and that meant I needed to do it: normally I would have sat it out. Scores on the doors are 10k in 39:36 which is 6:24 pace: to put that into perspective I did VLM at 6:27 so it is really 6@MP. Still, I did the first 5k in 19:54 and the second 5k in 19:42 so a negative split (though the course is basically uphill for 2 km, down for the next 3 and then a flat 5k loop). Did a parkrun yesterday in 19:56 so both 5ks were faster, but that was low key so the race mode helps.

• Bit of po10 stalking and I notice Keir has quitetly notched up PBs at 5 miles and 5k in the mast month.

• SJ great report and tri. Still not interested in open water swimming yet, but maybe you reports are sewing the seeds of interest

Speedy - sorry about the DNS. A wise head on young shoulders

DM - thats a great session to get behind you. Nice run and should give you an idea of what you can do on rested legs.

Its my birthday today and it was time to do something about my HM time. I ran Maidenhead HM which is a flat road race. Went a bit nuts and ran the first 5k in 18mins (I have a 19:20 5K pb, but it was my party and I'll do what I want to!). Mile 3 to 9 was then a struggle as I developed a really bad stitch. Then went over on  my left ankle. Managed to pick up the pace as it felt like the whole field was passing me. Finished in 1:22:09 for a pb, swollen ankle, and an insight into how not to run a race.

Nicely followed up with a birthday curry, and icepack to keep the drinks and ankle cool.

• Also-ran, bug chunk off your PB there (it was 84:55 from BUrnham, right?) so congrats, have a nice birthday. Mine is tomorrow (47) and almost wishing away the years to 50 so I get to race old slow buggers.

• AS- Happy BD and congrats on PB. That's a minute quicker than my PB although given the increased mileage over this marathon campaign I reckon with my current fitness I could shave a good chunk off that. I did foolishly have a tilt at a 1.20 in Bath this past March and it went pear shaped and recorded my first DNF!!! Live and learn eh?
  • Happy birthday AR. And what a way to celebrate image did you also beat your 10K PB?

Happy birthday for tomorrow PMJ and good to see you're back on the racing horse.

Speedy, another sign of how serious you are about being the best you can be. Well done for making a tough call.
  • Also-ran - I love your report. Far more entertaining than mine! 

I still wasn't sure this morning. The snottiness and head fog seemed to have lifted but my cramped calf still felt tender. I decided to venture out at 7am for a test run. The leg was absolutely fine, but I couldn't breathe. Not even at 8.30 pace. I tried to up the pace to 6.30 and broke out in a sweat. Got home after less than a mile and immediately started coughing up a lung. Mum came down the stairs just as I got in and said (in reply to the note I'd left saying I'd gone for test run to find out if I was fit to run) 'I take it the answer's no then?'. No indeed. Mum went back to bed and I finished my book before watching the race on TV. It looked like perfect conditions as well. image

• Tough luck Speedy but given how your body was behaving, it sounds as though It was the right decision.

Congrats to AR - not a bad day's work at the office.

Local XC for me this morning - I wasn't planning on taking part after yesterday's long run, but as I was taking younger Lorenzito I took my kit just in case and then race fever took hold of me. 2 laps of an undulating, but not too hilly course and managed about 37:30 for the 5.5 miles so can't complain. Think I was in the top 10 overall and 3rd scorer for the club so hopefully that's got us some more points as we're lying in second place in the series but very keen to retain the trophy from last year.

Rest day tomorrow in prep for volleyball in the evening.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Bad luck Speedy. I feel the same, gutted not to have got a number and run today. All my club pals got PB's and I suspect sub 80 was there for the taking. I'll just have to wait for Redcar in 2 weeks and hope for similar weather image

Great run also ran. The best runs are the ones that teach you something. If you got a PB in spite of mistakes you can only get better.

Must be great to be back racing PMJ- you'll be flying in no time.

16 miles for me this eveningat 8:09 pace- felt very good. Spent most of the day dropping my daughter off in Manchester. She starts a degree in Pharmacy tomorrow so I hope she'll learn all I need to know about drugs for all my ailments.

• Just a quick post, up early for work tomorrow so not got time for a full report.

GNR today race was harder than expected but 82.47 and 251st so not too bad for one of PMJ's slow oldies...Will give a race report tomorrow .

Speedy sorry you where still not up to GNR but a good chance of you not making your A race with wet and chilly conditions.

AR well done on a new PB
  • Stonking halves from Also-ran and efc-col, congrats both. Speedy and OOlg, your times will come soon.

Slokey - that tri debut sounds super tough but you did superb.

Good training and "b races" elsewhere, notably Lorenzo and PMJ in latter. Great to see Birch on comeback trail.

My sportiv went well yesterday, although I was a lot slower than the Tour of Brit riders were today up Coombe Bottom. Ooh er. Big hills aplenty.

Lorenzo - ballbuster looks "interesting", might give it a go. Are you in?

Ant - I'll be aiming for 18.45 or so at Bromley on Sat (although that's a bit quicker than I've managed for while). Should be fun.

Keep on keeping on all
  • SJ good race and even better report. Honister is well steep and slow even in a car. I understand there is a cycle sportive which does Honister, Whinlatter, Hardknott and Wrynose.....now that's tough.

Speedy - good decision, and deep down you probably know that so time now to regroup and look ahead.

DM - impressive and tough LR, very nice

AR - happy birthday, nice run too

PMJ who are you calling old and slow? There are some pretty quick old g@ts out there

Very lowly weekend for me as to busy to run far, squeezed in 5th and a 1sec PB at Marple parkrun....they all count.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Speedy - sorry you didn't make it. image But agree, the conditions were ideal for running but not for running when ill.  You made the right choice although I imagine you're feeling pretty pi$$ed off just now.

efc - blimey image Fast running from you today.  Nice unexpectedly meet you on the bank!

For me - I'm happy.  Wasn't sure where I was at with mixed training of late etc etc.  Anyway finished 1:33.08, which is pretty much where I thought I might be.  Had a great day out - gotta love the GNR!

• Shame you couldn't do GNR Speedy  - keep it in the tank for Munich.

Glad you enjoyed GNR though Minni and a great time time too.

Super time time too efc col, look forward to your report.

Lorenzo - XC already in September, surely not muddy enough?!

Good 5k PB Poacher.

Thought I had got a 1 second PB too at my Parkrun yesterday according to my Garmin, but result came in at equal PB time of 18.19. Went out and did 13.1 miles this morning in 1.28.57 which was tough! Then watched a bit of GNR on TV.

• Sneaky parkrun running from Poacher and KR - shades of Sergei Bubka increasing his WR by a centimetre at a time!

KR - it wasn't muddy at all, but it's a series that runs throughout the year; one race a month on average. 

Jezza - I've not signed up yet, but haven't got the OK from Mrs L last night, I'm planning on getting my name down later today, It's quite expensive, but it's well organised and leaves you feeling you've achieved something. See you there.

Very pleasing GNR performances from Minni and efc-col. Looking forward to all the gory details.

• PMJ - from the more recent reports of the Boundary Run which I've read, it doesn't sound like it's changed all that much. I don't think I'll be doing it. Nice sub 40 10k yesterday. And many happy returns for today.
    Lorenzo - very nice early morning LSR and XC running this weekend. Good luck with the volleyball.
    SJ - great performance in the Buttermere tri; can't believe it was your first. And I loved the report. After that even the 2 peak run on Sunday must have been a killer.  Enjoy your well earned rest!
    Moof - hi there. Hope the 15 miler went ok.
    Speedy - sorry things didn't work out for you yesterday; rest up and come bouncing back for Munich.
    DM - fantastic 18 with 14 @ MP; all looking very good.
    AR - belated birthday wishes; crazy way to celebrate! Great effort and congrats on the PB.
    EFC-Col - well done; 82:47 is still a great time.
    Poacher - parkrun PB! Nice one.
    Minni - good going at the GNR. Aren't you running the GER too?
    KR - sounds like you had a great weekend; parkrun PB and a sub 90 HM in training before watching the GNR.
    I'm easing off the speed a bit now and looking to slowly increase my mileage and endurance over the next few months; started the week with a mega-slow 5 miles (9:20m/m!)

• Its always tough to follow after a Gul post because he is so completely thorough!!

Happy returns to AR and PMJ,EFC and Minni - sounds like you both had a good day. KR - That was one hell of a training run .SJ - love the report - not sure that tri is for me. Lots of good park run times being clocked up - I wish there was one near me!

• Well done Col!

Nicely nudged PB by Poacher - showing KR how it's doneimage

Good work Minni, sounds like you had a great time. image

How are you feeling today Speedy?
  • moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Some great HM times this weekend, well done to efc-col, AR and Minni.

Nice solo HM KR, you should be due a nice new shiny HM PB soon. I recall you are running the great eastern.

Bad luck on the lurgy speedy.

DM- that 18 with 14 @ MP is a tough one and a great confidence booster when you see it through. You've had a solid training campaign following the PD schedule, you must feel your in with a shot of running sub 3.

My 15 miles yesterday was run at a plodtastic 8.09 ave pace, with the last 3 ran at 7.30pace to get that average up a bit. Felt a lot harder than what it should have done.

When I followed P&D, you took the 15 milers for granted, I don't even think they class them as a LSR.
  • DM- I had the same session 18Mw/14@MP today- it's tough isn't it! Though I don't know if it's as tough as the 7M@LTP? 

Either way I was aiming for 3.10pace, and slightly overcooked it to come in at 3.06.30 pace. Pleasing, (and very salty for some reason today.)

If I were you I wouldn't forget 6.45 pace yet- it's tougher on you're own and we've just had a pretty brutal fortnight in the program. With your HM times and the P+D training you've put in I think you're in good shape. There's still a couple more weeks training and then you'll be all nicely tapered up by the 21st. 

Congratualtions to the new PB holders and weekend racers, get well soon to those unwell and happy birthday to Also Ran for yesterday and PMJ for today. 

• Lorenzo wrote (see)

Jezza - I've not signed up yet, but haven't got the OK from Mrs L last night, I'm planning on getting my name down later today, It's quite expensive, but it's well organised and leaves you feeling you've achieved something. See you there.

It is a bit pricey and properly long - 16 miles running with 25 miles biking between the 2x8, and 5 times up Zig Zag.  Damn right you should feel like you've achieved something!  I'm going to pencil it in, but get a few more weeks of running and cycling in the legs before committing - want to get through Beachey Head marathon first ... longest training run to date is 12m image

• Hope you have a great birthday PMJ.  I have a hangover today in the form of a bruised foot after yesterdays stumble.

I enjoyed watching back some of the GNR. EFC-Col , and Minni it sounds like you had great runs, but I didn't hear you mention your sprint finish ala Kipsang.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Moof that's exactly the same pace as my 16 miler y/day 8:09 p/mile- I seem more pleased with it than you thoughimage 

• Moof- thanks for the encouragement. I reckon I could have a tilt at sub 3 on a flat course such as Abo, but I'm doing Dartmoor vale which has a couple of challenging hills so i reckon a shade over. Yes you are right about PD, 15 miles are medium mid week runs!

JD3- you sound more confident than a week or so ago. Good news. I didn't find the 7 at LT too bad but yesterday was a toughie. It's a long time on your own to hold your concentration. I feel we've broken the back of the schedule now with only one 20 miler left and mostly bread and butter stuff and into taper. Looking at remaining runs there's nothing that fills me with dread.
  • DM- yes looking ahead I agree there arent any more sessions to fear so much- the LTP and MP sessions I dread for about a fortnight before hand! I'm feeling more confident on the back of the last weeks training- I got a PB on a lap of my town on Sat and was pleased with todays run. A couple of weeks ago I had had to stop several times on a 20miler struggled slowly throguh a LTP session, and had a horrible day out trying to do a HM at MP, but ending up working way harder and coming in in about 1.38- I think in hindsight I might have had a bug.

I think on my next marathon training I will take the essence of P+D, but try and fit some of the LTP sessions onto local 10ks and the MP sessions onto local halfs, just to make them a bit more easy hopefully. 

Speaking of my next marathon, does anyone have any suggestions of a good PB marathon in the spring?

• Moof - still 15 miles in the bank. And yes, I think P&D class anything from 11-16 miles as an MLR.
    JD3 - well done on doing gruelling 18 with 14 @ MP.
    My plodding continued today with 7 miles plus half a dozen strides to help maintain leg speed.

• Tough session from JD3 but they're the ones that count at the end of the day.

Another early start from Gul - what time do you go to bed?!

Was hoping for a decent run out first thing as I'm working from home this morning, but my knee is feeling a bit sore after I knocked it at volleyball last night. Got out of the house but after a couple of hundred metres it didn't feel right so as a precaution didn't continue.

Keeping my fingers crossed it's nothing serious, but as I've been very luck so far with injuries, I'm not so good at resting. image