Run Preston 10k 2012

Not run for ages due to injury but I intend (hope?!) to do this as part of the guild series . Anyone else? Anyone done it before!?

Comments

• If my calves sort themselves out I'll be there.

• I'm in image I think it'll be good training for the half marathon

• Thinking about it but not registered yet. Need some race experience before the half on 28th!
  • You know you want to annieshaf! I think the timings of the two work out well. 

Does anyone know any details of getting race packs etc? The website and email contains almost no information. I'm not even sure exactly where the start is...

• I'm in for this not ran for three weeks due to injury and little lad being in and out of hospital.

If it is like anything in the past the start and finish is around the market and squires area. The route was three laps around flag market and Avenham, onto Avenham park for what was like the 5km in May and then back towards the market. Get some hills in as you have Avenham park (up and down) but what catches you out is going up Winkley Street, as that is another hill.

But this is whats happened in the past and could be different this year, I agree with penguingirl that there is no info at all about this event.

• I haven't heard anything since the confirmation email, I was hoping somebody may have the exact route, I've heard its changed slightly this year due to an increase in numbers.

• It says 1 lap on the Event page. Looking forward to it. Hoping to run with my OH whilst in-laws look after our little uns!

• There's a route on runkeeper for it but I don't know whether its the 'official route', and it just has it as one lap. I might email the organisers if I get a chance

• Well I managed to register for this although it is now full. I have taken the place of a friend of a friend who cant run through injury. Am very much looking forward to it as I need some race experience before the half marathon in Oct. I have a habit of going out too fast!

The race pack for this is now available on the preston guild web site.  It also includes a free pass for the bus station car park for those who are interested.

Having looked at the route its about 1.5 laps of a route round the town centre and then goes down through avenham park, across the river and back and then up the hills back to  the town centre.  Very hilly route so not one for a PB!

If it works this is the link to the race pack. http://www.prestonguild2012.com/resources/files/270_Race%20pack%202012.pdf

And here is the map

http://prestonguild2012.com/resources/files/269_Run%20Preston%2010K%20Route%20Map.pdf

• Got race pack this morning. It's just round the start finish that has cahnged due to the increase in numbers. Done the 5k before but not the 10k looking forward to it. Avenham Park can be hilly in places, Winckley Square is a hill but a short one. It will be Cannon Street that gets you the last time very steep. If you are doing it as part of the series just enjoy it!!

• Ran most of this route today except the in town bits and noted the path south of the river very narrow due to overgrown weeds etc

Hope Preston Council cut it back before next Sunday.

BTW the hill out of the park is a killer.

• I doubt it Keith I run down there most weeks and it is the same in the middle of Febuary let alone now! Although it is narrow the race field will be fairly open at that point so shouldn't be too much of a problem though.

That hill is a killer, in 2007 I made the mistake of letting momentum take me and be lazy what a mistake! I was going so fast I could feel my feet burning! But the hill is quite bad and you are almost crawling towards the top but then you have to go up Winkley Street and that is up hill as well although not as steep it still catches you out.

• I'm in this, though got XC season the day before so I might just potter around with my mate.

• Not sure what to do. Got stress fracture so might ask to do 5k instead, or get Oh to run!
  • Looking like I may be a DNS so could well have a number for sale. Anyone?

• Chris

Heard on Facebook from a club member helping PCC the course has been cleared south of the river.

We will see on Sunday if the rain does get in our eyes.image

• Hi, 

Maybe Keith OB - do you know the total elevation of the whole/any of the route?  

• Hi Mish sorry dont know about elevation profiles just going off personal expirence and local knowledge..

Roughly the lap and and half round town has long nagging slopes then down through parks to the river very flat but then you have to go back out of park at 8k ish up hill and then back round town again to finish.

Weather not looking good either.

Hope this helps image

• Keith OB wrote (see)

Hi Mish sorry dont know about elevation profiles just going off personal expirence and local knowledge..

Roughly the lap and and half round town has long nagging slopes then down through parks to the river very flat but then you have to go back out of park at 8k ish up hill and then back round town again to finish.

Hope this helps image

Keith OB wrote (see)

Hi Mish sorry dont know about elevation profiles just going off personal expirence and local knowledge..

Hope this helps image

Thanks Keith, should be interesting image

• My place is still up for grabs! Will be online tonic for a bit and first thing tomorrow. Still stressed out with my stress fracture.
  • Unlucky ET hope you up and running again soon.

Hey may even meet you one day after all times at same race

• Now then toe I'll swap you your number for a number in the inskip half in Jan let me know sorry about the injury.

• Good race this, slight delay in getting the numbers out to everyone but a really good atmosphere and well-chosen course.

• Did this today. Well impressed with the council or parks department whichever managed to clear the path of the overgrown weeds and plants on the south side of the river and managed to drain the path by the kiddies play area which is frequently flooded. The marshalling was also excellent. Thanks to Preston Harriers, Preston Rotary and the Guild Volunteers plenty of encouragement and banter. Also thanks to Preston Council for in the most part a very well organised race. Not sure about the chaos that was the Guildhall for the number and t-shirt collection. I think I must have joined the longest queue for number collection that was after I eventually found the end of it. I felt sorry for the one girl who was dishing the numbers out in my queue. Maybe the numbers should have been enveloped with the bag number and put in strict alphabetical order so that when you gave your name the people handing out the numbers were not looking through reams of papers to find yor number and then through piles of numbers to find yours and then again through a second pile for the number for your bag. Like I say only criticism in a very well organised race. Tough course as well but I new that before I entered and glad the rain held off for the 10k. Felt sorry for the 5k runners that will have got soaked. One more thing number 31 running/walking smoking a cigarette!! I've seen runners light up after a race but never during. Totally stunned me. Along with earphones it should be banned in a race.

• Ran this race today.. Good run and fortunately missed all the chaos in the Guild Hall. It was the first time I ran this one, couldn't believe this hills - 'undulating' - that's not what I'd call it!!!!

Definitely not a PB run, well not for me anyway. Would recommend and will be running next year.
  • Eh, Judith, I think the mix of good standard runners and the tryhard smokers are what makes it the day it is, don't see what the point in trying to shame them by number is.

• As my partner and  I both suffer from asthma and run as this helps improve our lung capacity as well as for general fitness people smoking is something we try to avoid. We both accept that when outside we can't avoid smokers but actually in a race it just took me very much by surprise. We just ran faster and got past him image as we do when this happens in training runs and when we see race marshalls smoking. I also think that race marshalls should wait till all runner have passed which shouldn't take that long.

• DOes any one know what happened at the start with the conitena effect?

TBF I had low expectations of this race from previous experiences. I enjoyed the singer at the start of the race, and I had thought of wouldn't it be good if before the race evry year it had its's own anthem, whats other people thoughts? Once the race started very good, the marshalling very good and the route I think was better than the previous time in 2007. At least the rain held off.

Now the bad points, the queue for the race numbers was beyond a joke and surely it could have been organised better, especially for an established race. Then being told you have to pick up the t-shirt before the race. Somebody said you could pick it up at the end. I presume the start of the race was delayed because of the backlog of people getting their numbers. Went to get the t-shirt at the end of the race and was confronted by a dragon. I went to the area with my race number to be told I must queue up and spoken to as I was thick and I should have known. Needless to say I picked up an XL t-shirt for myself and the bloke behind me and a medium for my missus.

Also apologise if anybody found my language a little crude on Avenham hill or on Winkley Street as I was motivating myself to get up the hills.

• I agree with most of the comments above. I found it a great day if hectic beforehand.The marshalls were the best I've knon in a race so far.

I'm injured, so had to switch from the 10k to the 5k. However, despite following physio orders to walk the hills, I still got a PB on the hilly course.

Okay, this was helped by the fact I've never raced a 5k before image, but after 2 months out I'm counting it as a victory.