former runner, now below knee amputee, want to run again!

Looking for some inspiration, tips, ideas in order to start running again. I am 57 and about three stone overweight. I have lost weight, but sadly gained it back. As an adult I always maintained a weight of around 9 stone and a bit...but for the last eight to ten years I have gradually gained the weight. My excuse has been my age...but that's just silly. When I originally had my accident, I was told I would never walk again. Well, I did and...ran the Chicago Marathon back in 1992. Just need to get my bum in gear?! 

Comments

• I think it might just be a case of getting past the first few runs. Do you have anyone who would go with you (harder to change your mind if you've made a commitment to a friend, or the friend is dragging you!)?

Or perhaps contact a local running club to see if they do a beginners group or buddy system.

If you've run with your prosthesis before (and a marathon to boot!) you already know you can do it so it probably is a case of getting out there, starting slowly and maybe following a beginner's plan like one of the Couch to 5k programmes.

Good luck - and importantly, have fun! And keep us all updated of course image

• its always those first few runs that are the hardest............just try and get out there and keep it slow.forget the times you used to run at.don't compare at all.....just start afresh with new times that you can then slowly improve........

try and get in a routine and build up slowly

good luck

• thanks for the encouragement.....getting my head wrapped around this and looking in to local running clubs (which is something I hadn't thought of and, had forgotten about).

• Hi there,

I agree with the other posters, that the first few runs (especially the First Run!) are by far the hardest, but mostly because of the fear of it being really difficult and not enjoyable - but once you get out there you will remember what it was that you loved about running. You might even be surprised at how good you feel even in the early days.

One lovely way to boost your confidence and make you feel good when you are out and about is to head to your nearest running shop and treat yourself to some really exciting, special new kit - we all deserve to be spoilt every now and then, and if you look, and feel, good in your running gear you will be much happier when you are putting it on!

That's about all that I can offer that hasn't already been said, but I just wanted to come on here to offer some support anyway.

Total respect to you for coming back from such an injury and running a marathon, you could probably teach the rest of us a thing or two about motivation and perseverance!

Best of luck with your comeback, I hope you get back out there soon and get your running buzz back!

• Nancy 'Hedge' Harridge wrote (see)

Looking for some inspiration, tips, ideas in order to start running again. I am 57 and about three stone overweight. I have lost weight, but sadly gained it back. As an adult I always maintained a weight of around 9 stone and a bit...but for the last eight to ten years I have gradually gained the weight. My excuse has been my age...but that's just silly. When I originally had my accident, I was told I would never walk again. Well, I did and...ran the Chicago Marathon back in 1992. Just need to get my bum in gear?! 

Wow - you are an inspiration to anyone who has been told they'll never walk again - way to prove 'em wrong - you didn't just walk, you ran a flippin' marathon!  Well done!

If you're really not sure about running now, see your doctor and/or physio, they should be able to give you advice on what to do and how much to do. image

And once they give you the green light as I'm sure they will, get stuck into the C25k. image

Good luck!