Why do I keep falling over?

Hi, I need some help desperately!

I have fallen over twice while running in five days. Both have been on the same sort of terrain - gravel tracks. The first time is was quite dark so put it down to poor lighting and missing a potruding rock. But today, it was bright sunshine, on a route that I have ran frequently before.

This time I have been left with quite a deep cut to my right knee and nasty grazes on my hands (I have also managed to completely destroy my new skins leggings which I have only worn twice image I  am thankful I was wearing them instead of capris otherwise the damage to my legs would have been much worse!)

I have been racking my brains over what could be causing this. Since I started running (two years ago) I havent fallen once and to fall twice in 5 days seems odd. They werent even particularly long runs - the first fall was a 7 miler and the second 4 miles.

I am so frustrated as this has put another halt on training for at least two or three days while the swelling goes down and I am now beginning to lose my confidence image I have got a 10k coming up in November, plus a half marathon in Feb and another in April.

My shoes are 18 months old so I am used to wearing them, just not sure what could be causing this. I do have a habit of running with my feet quite close together and I put one foot in front of the other and have been known to graze the inside of my ankles as my feet catch them....could this be to do with hip alignment? (think i'm clutching at straws now - just want to run!!)

Comments

• Worn out shoes causing poor running form? 18 months is a very long time to run in one pair of shoes unless you average something less than 10 miles a week!

• I had a break for about 6 months or so from Jan - June this year so (probably naively) assumed they would be okay.... image Maybe its time to start shopping for a new pair....

• Sounds like poor stability and core strength.  There are plenty of core / stability exercises for running that might help.  Could it also be due to not stretching enough?

• I do have a tendency to avoid stretching (not entirely sure why - I normally walk for a warm up then get straight into my run)......perhaps this could be a contributer!

• Were you listening to music? Or have traces of a headcold?

Either of those could affect your balance or your concentration very slightly, enough to cause a stumble.

Or, it could just be coincidence and a bit of bad luck. Hope the knee feels better soon!

• I was listening to music in one ear (and had just ran past a large group of walkers) so I could have increased my pace slightly at that point...! I am hoping it may just be bad luck and me being clumsy. Going to have a look at some new trainers....just looked at the soles of mine and they are quite worn on the outside from where I underpronate/supinate heavily.

• Music in one ear?  Yes I think I'd be a bit wobbly too! lol

• I thought it was logical at the time...was so I could keep an ear out for any cyclists coming down the track, but I can see why it may be distracting. Although on tuesday when I fell I wasnt listening to anything! Maybe I am just clumsy....

• I used to think I was 'just clumsy' and would injure myself with great ease. I'd trip, bash into things and knock things over passing them without really realising it.

But then I was formally diagnosed with hyper mobility, a score of 7/9 on the Beighton scale and told no impact sport. I then did a little reading as this new term was news to me, I'd just assumed I was a bit more flexible, thought it was a good thing. Apparently it also affects my spatial awareness, I move further then my brain thinks it can. Its sort of as if I don't know my own force.

I often trip up on my own feet. When I walk without realising it my ankles seem to do this little inside kick and I also have weaker muscles, my feet don't flext upwards as much as they need to so for example if the ground moves upward, on a hill or something, I can easily trip up on the hill itself because my feet don't pick up enough, its all to do with- apparently- my 'clumsiness' caused by my poor spatial awareness which is caused by my hypermobility. Just worth checking out before you spend years hammering yourself over the head assuming your at fault through carelessness.

• It does sound like you're tripping over your own feet. Sorry. I do that too (kick my own ankles or inside of my calves) and I've found pilates, walking shoe orthotics, stability running shoes and core strengthening exercises have helped me stop doing it so much.

Are you sure you supinate rather than over pronate? Just thinking that the wear on the outside of your soles could be because you strike the ground with your ankle flexed sideways and so the outside of your shoe hits first. I do that too.

• Thanks Jenn - I will check it out. I am often clumsy - but I have just put it down to trying to do too many things at once!

Carpathius - I am glad im not the only one who does this! I mentioned it at running club on tuesday and none of them had ever heard of it image  I always though I over-pronated but when I looked up the definitions on google and various other websites I apparently under-pronate(or supinate) so I land on the outside of my foot and take off on my little toe (which makes perfect sense as I always get blisters on my baby toe!) Maybe i have the definition wrong? Either way - I guess it's a good excuse to get my gait checked and fitted with a new pair of running shoes!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I am known for falling over my own feet and as others have said - core exercises and stability shoes have helped... I tend to have days when i'm more clumsy (when im tired) so have a look at when you're running as well

• Bogie wrote (see)

Hi, I need some help desperately!

I have fallen over twice while running in five days. Both have been on the same sort of terrain - gravel tracks. The first time is was quite dark so put it down to poor lighting and missing a potruding rock. But today, it was bright sunshine, on a route that I have ran frequently before.

I have been racking my brains over what could be causing this. Since I started running (two years ago) I havent fallen once and to fall twice in 5 days seems odd. They werent even particularly long runs - the first fall was a 7 miler and the second 4 miles.

"KEEP falling over"??   errrm - methinks you need a little reality check.   you've tripped over twice in 2 years - and one you admit was your own error on a gravel track in poor light.    I don't think therefore that one "genuine" trip qualifies as KEEP falling over - more like shit happens.

as a runner of many years standing, I've tripped over many times - in bright sunlight, via protruding stones and cables, in poor light but I don't believe I'm prone to it.  sometimes it's been my own clumsiness, other times obstacles.

it is what it is.   shrug it off and carry on

• Thanks Emmy, I think it's a combination of both. Its running club tomorrow so going to go along and just be extra cautious and make sure i've fuelled up enough!