recommendations for ow tris for next year?

Trying to plan ahead to see what tris I might want to do next year - I have only started this year and am pretty slow at everything but hoping to work on everything over the winter.

I live in The Nottingham area, so tris fairly local/within an hour or so drive would be good

I am thnking of some ow sprints, maybe olympic sprints, and am thinking about the wild boar middle distance at the end of the summer if I can build up to that distance

any recommendations?

Comments

• matt - I am doing that as part of a relay teamimage the full monty is planned for 2014 by myself. Need to build up to it!

• OSB do a sprint at Holme Pierrepont but it's in May (or was this year) so water may be a little on the chilly side

• I was thinking of that one

also kind of thinking of Dambuster - but don't know if that is a 'hard' one - I now it is used as an age-group qualifier - not that I am trying to qualify personally, but don't know if they have 'harder' bike courses than others. I think the Rother Valley bike course was nasty from what I have heard from friends that did it this Sunday

• Dambuster next year is one of the GB qualifiers for the world champs in London in August so is likely to be rammed with a lot of quality triathletes gunning for the GB a/g squads.   it's the same course as the Vitruvian - just one bike lap though - which is challenging but fast. 

• would the big sow be a better oly distance one? I tried looking at the results online but could only see the results for about 30 people - surely there were more than that??

• EricIsBananaMan wrote (see)

I bought my Garmin 910xt from here for £285 Runners Need price matched this price 

Trogs. wrote (see)

OSB do a sprint at Holme Pierrepont but it's in May (or was this year) so water may be a little on the chilly side

Trogs. wrote (see)

OSB do a sprint at Holme Pierrepont but it's in May (or was this year) so water may be a little on the chilly side

It was May the year before too, don't think the water temperature was too bad. Its a good race too, cycle and run are around the lake so no worries about traffic.

• I am thinking of Nottingham - it is very close and probably a lot of my tri club will be there too

anyone done the ones at Belvoir Castle? they are fairly early on (May this year) so could clash with Nottingham, and the water could be cold

• i keep thinking of doing the beaver at Belvoir but always seems to clash with something, even though its early you wont be in the water for long and it isnt deep so wont be too bad. might do it next year but if its the same time its going to clash again. dambuster is fine - like FB said theres going to be loads of fast people there but on the other hand there will still be a fair few of us slower ones

• thanks

Doner - I don't think I would count you as a slow one! May see you at Southwell on Sunday - I saw your name on the start list

Think I will defintely try to fit the full boar events in, depends on dates and what clashes with what

• Slower, not slow image and yes, say hello if you see me if you are not in pirate kit at southwell
  • I haven't got any pirate kit yet - I will be in a purplish two-piece. I'll try to look out for you, I have an early start time - 8:24 but I will probably hang around for a while after I finish as there are people from my tri club there, all with varying start times

• mathschick wrote (see)

I am thinking of Nottingham - it is very close and probably a lot of my tri club will be there too

anyone done the ones at Belvoir Castle? they are fairly early on (May this year) so could clash with Nottingham, and the water could be cold

The Beaver is a good little event,  as DK says the water isn't too bad at all.  Bike course is varied enough to keep you interested and the run is lovely.  I'd recommend it.

• beaver sounds good then, nice and close to me too, just hope it doesn't clash with Nottingham, I think they were both May time this year.