Help a newbie prepare for winter running

I started running in the summer. My training for next years London marathon starts in earnest on Oct 1st. I can not afford any breaks come rain or shine. I want to get all the gear I will need to run over winter now. I only own shorts and highly ventilated short sleeve running tops. Can you tell me what I should buy? So far I have bought the following: 1x full length running bottoms 1x full sleeve running top 1x reflective bib 1x alpkit gamma head torch Obviously I have trainers. I will get a second pair so I can let one dry while other is wet. I expect to run 4-5 days per week. What else do I need and how many of each item do you recommend?

Comments

• Gloves, extra long sleeved top & a windproof gilet and you are sorted.

• i have this - it should be fine for running as well as cycling right?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gore-bike-wear/countdown-as-vest-ec022401

• Might also want to consider something to keep your ears warm.
  • the key for winter running is keeping your core and torso warm - and the best way to do that is via windproof kit.  best is a gilet as EC has suggested.   gloves and a running hat/buff/earwarmers are also essential for the coldest of days.   I don't bother with tights and stick to shorts - the act of running is enough to keep the legs warm.

getting wet and cold can make running hard work and if that happens either cut the run short or do a treadmill run indoors.   waterproof tops generally don't work as they keep as much sweat in as keep rain out so you get very uncomfy and in my view are to be avoided.   if it's not to cold but raining just get wet!

• I love my waterproof jackets but then I also like thermal tights when it's really cold! I'd personally rather have a jacket than a gilet as you can tie them around your waist if you get hot! I don't do treadmills or shortening runs I'm out whatever the weather! other than that as the others have said, hat/buff, gloves, maybe something like yaktrax for the snow if we get any this season!

• Thin fleece gloves are good at the start of a run, but they usually end up stuffed down my tights after a few miles.

I find a hat makes me too hot, but a fleece ear-warmer is good for keeping the ears from freezing.

If I start to get a bit too warm with that, I just push it up a little bit, so that the bottoms of my ears are exposed, and that is enough to cool me down again.

I don't tend to wear more than a long-sleeved top on my body.

• I generally carry a very small rucksack (old camel back pack) with me in winter then when it gets too hot I can divest hat and gloves and pertex top into that and carry on.  I could start without any of it but then tend to run too fast before I'm warmed up with the potential for injuries.

As for what do you need, apart from kit the most important thing is motivation - it can get VERY hard going out when its cold and wet and you still ache from you last run etc. Setting a training plan and getting in the mindset of sticking to it or preferably getting someone to run with so you can't let them down.

Good luck.

• Wtf? Woolly bobble hat. X-country stylee tiny shorts and singlet. Good slathering of whale blubber.

Works for me down to minus 10.

You're all a bunch of jessies!

• Muttley wrote (see)

Wtf? Woolly bobble hat. X-country stylee tiny shorts and singlet. Good slathering of whale blubber.

And you sound like you are about 10 years old. Please don't feed the trolls. The other replies have been very helpful and I have ordered:

• Another long sleeve jersey 
    • Headband (I think a hat will be too hot for me - but if i need one i will run in the beanie i wear under my cycle helmet if i can find it)
    • Gloves

I will use my cycling gilet if I need it. I have worn waterproof tops when riding my bike but i end up sweating loads in them and would rather just get wet from the rain. The gilet has a mesh back so sweat should not be a huge issue.   I have a training plan. I agree, motivation will be the biggest issue and the plan should help as well as the fear of failure (the very same fear i am really suffering from right now due to having under-trained for a bike ride this Saturday).   Thanks for your help. If you have any more suggestions please keep them coming.

• Oi!  Muttley isn't a troll - he's a long-standing and respected member of this forum image

Where do you get whale blubber these days, Mutters?  Harrods?

• Sorry Muttley. I was just feeling sensitive - wait.. i AM a jessie /sigh.

• Just to let you know I've used a Gore cycling gilet for a couple of years as my main cold weather outer layer and it's great for this.  I was so impressed I picked up a gore running jacket in the spring sales.  The fit of both products is very similar, there is really very little difference between them.

I think you've got everything covered (pardon the pun), the only other piece of kit not mentioned is socks.  My feet don't suffer too badly in the winter (especially compared to cycling where they used to freeze) but you'll want to have a couple of extra pairs so that you've always got dry ones.

• image Nothing wrong with being a jessie.

Something that might help of your somewhere snowing at winter is  a good pair if fell shoe's but they are expensive so if you are just going to use them for one or two weeks of the year a bit of a waste of money. But if you fancy having a good at some felling running might be worth it.

You can get microspikes as well but never used them myself and heard mixed things about them for running.

• Long-standing I can accept ... but how dare you call me a respected member of this forum image

(Btw goose fat from Waitrose is a good substitute ... although some would say I have enough blubber of my own)

• stutyr - thanks that is good to hear. I am really glad i can use it for running. The thing cost so much I am glad I will get extra use out of it image

• Muttley wrote (see)

Long-standing I can accept ... but how dare you call me a respected member of this forum image

(Btw goose fat from Waitrose is a good substitute ... although some would say I have enough blubber of my own)

I keep the goose fat for roasting potatoes image

• Sealskinz waterproof gloves and peaked beanie hat work well for me.  Reflective windproof gillet to keep the core warm, and leggings, preferably tights.  I find anything that has any spare to flap when wet feels very cold.

• Normal running tights, 2 vests and a long sleeve top (layers seem to trap the heat more) ear warmer and gloves. I use a variation on the whale blubber and use vaseline (the supermarket cheap version) on my legs as they can go a little purple if out for longer than an hour, also helps to keep you a little warmer.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I wear layers and that seems to be a great way of keeping warm but my issue with waterproof Gilets. I've yet to find one that is either truly waterproof or will not result in me drowning in a pool of my own sweat. I'll have a google for the Gore gilet to see what it offers.

@Muttley/Tortuga - regarding rubbing fat on your body. I know someone who was based in the artic circle for a while and it was common to rub lard on your legs to keep them warm so your whale blubber isnt too wrong....

• Muttley wrote (see)

Wtf? Woolly bobble hat. X-country stylee tiny shorts and singlet. Good slathering of whale blubber.

I can't wait for XC season! No woolly hat, but gloves for first mile.

• If you find hats too warm to run in as I do try a buff or similar. In summer I use it as a headband to stop sweat getting into my eyes and roll it down a little further in winter to keep my ears warm.

• any views of snoods? one for the jessies?

• My wife says it's like touching a dead person feeling the back of my neck when I am running. Some of us have very efficient cooling systems and freeze at the slightest bit of cold. On the other hand, I run in Spain in plus 30 degrees weather quite comfortably.

People should just wear what makes it comfortable to run. That said - autumn, forget winter, autumn: fleece gloves, gore winter top under a windproof jacket, full Ronhill winter leggings and a buff head piece. Back of my neck still feels like a cadavar mind....

• Long sleeved technical top, long socks, normal shorts and a pair of gloves for me. When it gets really cold, add leg-warmers and an extra t-shirt. Mind you, anything over 20'c and I struggle in the summer!

• Your arse freezes in the winter.  So shorts over tights is my tip. 

• Tortuga, there's not one right answer for everyone.  It depends partly how fast you are running, your size, how much you feel the cold, and the windchill factor on the day - that's the crucial one. 

One thing's for certain - as you run, you'll heat up and will not be able to continue with the layers you started with, even on a very cold day.  It's best to go for an adaptable layering system with a way of quickly stowing your hat, lightweight windproof top and or gloves as you heat up.  I like to wear compression clothing in winter to fend off tweaks from not tissues not being warmed up properly.