Running in the dark

I hate running in the dark. I find a million excuses to skip my run at night and soon the mornings will be dark too. I am forced to stick to lit roads and then have to suffer with traffic flying past me. I don't know how you all do it. I am definitely not brave enough to trail run at night and anyway since I am training for a marathon I do want to stick to the roads. I just can't run the country lanes that I like to run at night image

Last night was particularly interesting. I bought a head mounted light recently but feel a bit silly wearing it. So, I headed out and forgot that the road I was running down (to avoid the busier more trafic laden route) is not lit and would be plunged in to darkness on the return leg. Running back I could hardly see where I was stepping and almost body checked a guy on a bike coming in the opposite direction without any lights on! I was so freaked out I ran my fastest leg down that route ever image

I don't know how you guys get motivated about running in the dark. I just hate it but am going to have to learn to love it over the coming weeks image /sigh

Comments

• Aside from seeing where you are going, safety is the main thing.  Lit roads are just safer - especially if they have pavements.

I don't like running in the dark either, I always feel like I can't properly see where I'm going, and what is on the ground ahead (and this is on lit pavements), but you just have to get out there and do it.

It's only for about six months image

• Tortuga: stop worring about looking silly wearing the head torch!

Also, for the sort of road you're talking about, I'd suggest a reflective bib like for cycling, and a red flashing light on your back (the Alpkit Gamma provides that as well as a headtorch, otherwise, use a back cycling light).

Be safe, be seen. (Well, safER, anyway; no help if drivers are not looking...).

• Wilkie haha only six months image

Debra I was wearing a bib - and i have an alpkit gamma at home where it was doing me no good whatsoever. Will put it on next time i run image

• If you are going to run on unlit roads, you might want to put a light on your back too. 

My OH used to attach a bike rear light to his waistband when running on lanes in the dark.

Yeah - what Debra said!

• I like running in the dark - is that unusual? image

Also, have you guys got suggestions for a headlamp that can be recharged, either via USB or rechargeable batteries? image

• This alpkit gamma I have gets good reviews and is ony 15 quid. You can put rechargeable batteries in any light - double A's in this one i think.

• Tortuga wrote (see)

This alpkit gamma I have gets good reviews and is ony 15 quid. You can put rechargeable batteries in any light - double A's in this one i think.

Cheers. image

£9.99 at amazon now. image

• The alpkit is great, although be careful with batteries as they recommend you don't use any fancy high power ones as this can make the light run too hot.  Normal duracells last for ages in it, so there's no need to go for the expensive ones.

I did feel self-concious wearing a head-torch at first, but (a) its dark so no-one can see you very well and (b) I'm a grown man kitted out head-to-toe in in lycra, so I already look silly! 

• I can really empathise with you. I hate it when it is dark AND cold. Fortunately, I have a head lamp so I won't be limited to lit roads. There is still something creepy about running alone in the dark on abandoned country roads. 

• +1 vote for rechargeable batteries for head torches (and bicycle lights, and other torches, and...). I think the Alpkit Gamma takes AAA but I lent mine to someone so I can't go check (get it back on Wednesdayimage). Get the ones labelled "ready to use", which hold their charge for ages. You can get them quite cheaply online or sometimes at Aldi or Lidl (I think Aldi have some at the moment).

• I'm lucky - I can run on trails or pavements round here at night.  I really wouldnt like to run on the road. Its bad enough in daylight - I guess with good lights you would be more visible in the dark, but even so. 

• I'd never run at night in the country - I live in the city. image

• All but one of the roads leading out of town are single track (so thats 2), I already step on to the verge when I hear/see a car so am a bit worried about my first winter here as stepping off the road in the dark can be dangerous. I think I'll be planning my winter runs carefully and may even go for the extended lunch break run when its light and ice has gone. I may go for a few forest trail runs as well - spooky!

As for lit roads we have lamposts in the high street and thats about it.

• With a decent headtorch I never find it a problem, but you need to wear it!  I run roads and trails with it.

• This alpkit gamma I have gets good reviews and is ony 15 quid. You can put rechargeable batteries in any light - double A's in this one i think.

Cheers. image

RoadRunner76

£9.99 at amazon now. image

When I search on amazon under Alpkit Gamma it brings up the Pathfinder 21 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pathfinder-LED-Headlamp-Headlight-Waterproof/dp/B004Q6BFYE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348054917&sr=8-1)

Looking on the Alpkit website there is no mention of Pathfinder so am wondering is this one and the same product ?

• There's nothing like trail running at night!!! image

I use the LED Lenser H7 (i think) it's a really good light but a little bit more pricey. You can get a version that comes with rechargeable batteries too.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I'm with Dean, trail running at night is great.

Your best bet is to wear your headtorch and get out there and enjoy your running! So what if you think you look silly? Better to be judged by many than carried by 6!

• carterusm wrote (see)

This alpkit gamma I have gets good reviews and is ony 15 quid. You can put rechargeable batteries in any light - double A's in this one i think.

Cheers. image

RoadRunner76

£9.99 at amazon now. image

When I search on amazon under Alpkit Gamma it brings up the Pathfinder 21 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pathfinder-LED-Headlamp-Headlight-Waterproof/dp/B004Q6BFYE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348054917&sr=8-1)

Looking on the Alpkit website there is no mention of Pathfinder so am wondering is this one and the same product ?

Mmmm... maybe not. 

• I have no choice but to run with a head lamp, nearest street light is over 1.5 miles away. I have a LED Lenser H7 and a rear led bike light

• Thats where the running clubs come in handy in winter, you can all wear head torches and be hi vized up and it helps all image

I actually quite like running in the dark image I have a headtorch, a cap with a flashing light in it and lots of hi viz gear image

I thought only miners wore headtorches haha but I wouldnt be without it and dont care what I look like image

• Dean the Whippet wrote (see)

There's nothing like trail running at night!!! image

I use the LED Lenser H7 (i think) it's a really good light but a little bit more pricey. You can get a version that comes with rechargeable batteries too.

Dean. How easy/difficult is it trail running at night ? Do you focus so much on the ground in front of you that you can get wacked round the head with a tree branch ?? A lot of trails near me are quite 'rcoky', have you run in the dark on such trails ?

• i did my first dark run yesterday evening on a trail and used a head torch, it worked out ok although it was almost full moon. expect your pace to drop.

i have a petzl tikka xp 2 and it has a diffuser that can be flipped down to create a wide beam which is more practical. i didn't feel self conciousness using it as it was pitch black when i started, but i might feel different if the run started in the light of dusk and finished in the dark.

• New for this season if money is no object is the Petzl Nao with adaptive brightness. It gets good reviews so far. I agree the Petzl Tikka is good though I sometimes fumble for the flip-down diffusor. The LED Lenser H7 is good, with a power slider on the back of the head. Princeton Tec is good with both lesser diode diffuse light and one central more lowerful light. Most of last season I ran with a LED Lenser T5 handtorch as well as, or alone, held at waist height to throw shadows better, e.g., roots, rock. It's also useful to have in the hand on pavement in town to flick on athazards e.g. road junctions to warn cars, even if the streetlighting is otherwise adequate. If you carry both a head and hand torch you're never caught out, practically speaking.

• Some of the routes I run are ankle turners during daylight! No way would I attempt them in dim light. Roads and tracks are ok at night with a headtorch.. and the nice thing is no-one can see my red sweating face while in stealth mode! image