'Mature' runners.

Comments

• The knee appears to be okay however my left ankle is now complaining and i'm just beginning to think it could be arthiritis, for the record i did'nt play footie, i have a 10k race at the weekend and i'm hoping i can still make it  image

Redhead, i don't do sensible either !

• Seems to me you both do sensible. You just don't like doing sensible.

• I think Columba has got the measure of both of us, OT!

Morning all,

It's a glorious autumnal day here with mists and mellow fruitfulness (thanks Mr Keats, that sums it up nicely!).  I really can't bear to stay indoors on such a lovely day so I'll get my paperwork chores out of the way this morning and then just potter outside this afternoon.

OT, you were very sensible in missing football and I'm very impressed!  Now, with regard to your ankle/knee.  Get yourself off to the quack and get it x-rayed then you can see if there's any deterioration.  If there is, then you can work on strengthening the muscles supporting the ankle/knee.  I say that because for many years I had a gammy left knee from an old riding accident and it caused me to limp when the weather was wet.  When I first started running it caused me problems so I trotted off to the quack who told me I'd have to stop running.  I had it x-rayed and saw the very slight deterioration and spoke to my Physio about it.  She gave me loads of exercises to strengthen the muscles supporting the knee and I haven't had any problems since (touch wood) - and that was nearly 10 years ago!  Undoubtedly it will catch up with me eventually but I believe you can ward off these things for a while at least. 

I have a 10k this weekend too but I think I'm going to give it a miss as it's a classified as 'hilly' (it had to be reclassified as such even though we locals consider it to be just undulating!).  It will be  a case of how I'm feeling on the morning as I don't see any point in doing it if I'm not going to do it well.

Columba, yep, sloe gin.  I'm not a gin lover but I quite like this occasionally as do my friends who often get samples for Christmas image

JJ, it is perfect weather for off-roading now isn't it.

I've been eyeing up the hawthorn berries which are plentiful and looking a beautiful deep red.  I found an old recipe for haw jelly but I'm not sure it's worth the effort as they don't taste especially nice raw.  Maybe there's some magic when they're cooked or maybe it's just that in the olden days people just used whatever was around and free!

• We had a hill session in the forest last night, which was slightly different from the previous figures of 8 which we normally did. We were split into 3 groups and each group concentrated on one hill for 5 minutes, and after 2 minutes recovery moved on to the next hill, and then on to the third. I took a nasty tumble running down the third hill and luckily was able to get up and carry on. This morning, I have a slight ache in my left shoulder, which took the main impact. It would probably have been worse if it had been on tarmac.

Red, I think you are very wise giving the 10k a miss in the circumstances.

A lovely sunny morning, although quite cold at the moment. I will be doing an easy run later. The forecast for Sunday is a 60% chance of rain, with a temperature of 16 degrees. This would be ideal conditions for me.

• TE - ouch, ouch, - falling while running downhill is no joke. Lucky to get away with no more than a slight ache.

Red - Richard Maybe ("Food for free") says haws "make a moderate jelly, but being a dry fruit need long simmering with a few crab-apples to bring out all the juices and provide the necessary pectin. Otherwise the jelly will be sticky or rubbery. It makes a good accompaniment to cream cheese".

I made sloe gin once; it was lovely. No reason why I shouldn't make it now, I suppose, - plenty of sloes around.

• Redhead, i'm going to  give it a few days, before i see the doc. and whislt i can say to you it would make sense to miss your 10k this weekend, i'm daft enough to run mine so watch this space.....

The other thing i'm bothered about is that if i go to see the doc. i know what she will say, she tell me once again to pack football and marathons in, like she did 8 years ago. I'll have to react with me my stock reply " i'll have plenty of time to rest and recover when i'm dead " image 

• Columba, it was quite scary at the time, but luckily no harm done. I think I must have rolled as I fell, which saved me from injury.

JJ, yes it was quite spectacular and I was given five 10s and an 6.5 from the Russian Judgeimage. There doesn't seem to be any damage, and I spent a couple of hours digging this afternoon. I will probably ache from that!  A quick sloe gin sounds like something from Strictly come Dancing i.e slow, slow, quick quick slowimage.

I ran a very easy pace 4 miles this morning and will do the same tomorrow. Friday and Saturday will be rest days, so I must keep out of the garden.

• Afternoon all,

Still grotty here so am hoping to see the quack tomorrow as doing nothing for a whole week hasn't improved how I feel.  Grrrrr.  Defo not doing the 10k on Sunday and not really bothered as I was only doing it to support a local race.

(((TE))), ouch, poor you.  I hate falling downhill.  You take care now please ahead of your pb race as we're expecting great things from one of our able-bodied team!

JJ, LOL.  Silly boy image

Columba, have you tasted a raw hawthorn berry?  Not very inspiring and I'm not sure a jelly is worth the effort.

OT, I agree we're a long time dead so don't give up anything without a fight!  Might be adviseable to give the 10k a miss if your ankle is still sore - I want you fit to run Brighton next year please image

• Red, I hope your visit to the quack produces positive results. It's really horrible when you are unable to run, and I know that when I had the 2 weeks off due to the hammie, I felt really down in the dumps. I feel really lucky that I was unhurt by my fall, as I was running in a narrow gulley, which had a series of depressions, and it was when stepping down into one that I lost my balance. I somehow twisted sideways and managed to get my hands and arms on the ground at the side and push myself back onto my feet. I was lucky not to have been trampled on by those following behind.

I did another 4 mile run this morning, which was nearly 4 minutes quicker than yesterdays. I hadn't intended to go faster, but I presume the tapering is having a positive effect. Tomorrow and Saturday will be rest days.

The weather forecast for Sunday is still very unpredictable, depending on whether a low front blows over the South. If it does, it will be very wet and windy, but there is a chance that it won't, and if so will stay dry.

• OT - I'm not sure that doctors ought to tell you to "pack in" things like running or footie, nor even things like smoking. They ought to say "If you don't pack it in this is what I predict will happen to you..."

Red - hope your doctor can get things sorted for you.

I am going to be given a jar of apple and rowanberry jelly, - this is by a neighbour whom I invited to help herself to my crab apples. It seems it's like cranberry jelly, - good with meat, rather than a sweet jam. 

Ran to the lake this morning, then 5 times along one side of it which is 0.19 miles in length, with rest breaks between; then home. Speeds varied from 9:40mm to 10:12mm.

• Redhead, i have every intention of going over that finish line at Brighton next year whatever the difficulties are. I suppose you with your problems, neither of us are able bodied at the moment but thankfully we have the leeway to get fit and well.

Columba, to be fair to the Doctor she knows i do excess, don't do as i'm told and a  a bad patient. In the past she has suggested i should consider getting on a bicycle as its less intense, perhaps one day. I have to be fair i've said that Brighton next year may be my swansong, because marathon training is punishing at my age. But don't tell Redhead i've said that  !!! 

• I've had a poorly day today too, started with a dash to the loo at 4am and after an hour or so started throwing up as well - probably too much info there! Called my boss and told her I'd be late, took some Immodium and got to work about an hour late. Wouldn't have gone at all except that I had to finish a project that the manager wanted by Friday. Anyway, finished it and sent it off, then left for the day. Am feeling a lot better tonight, ate a bread roll at 3pm and have polished off almost a whole bottle of cola - something I almost never drink but it does seem to settle a dicky tummy. Still don't want to eat though. Luckily I have a short day tomorrow, only working the morning.   image

• BIW, sorry to hear that you have been feeling unwell. Hope you soon feel better.

No running today or tomorrow, so will have to do boring things indoors. Shredding must be one of the most boring things ever, but there always seems to be lots of paperwork to dispose of securely. I am thinking about having more utility bills etc submitted on line, but the only drawback is that for identity checks, they always ask for recent utility bills, and won't accept those printed off the internet.

The forecast for Sunday is still uncertain, but the chances are that there will be bitterly cold east winds, and 2 inches of heavy rain.

• BIW - hope you soon recover completely. You did well to get into work at all. Cola is amazing at settling upset stomachs; I don't know why, but it always seemed to work for my children, once they'd turned the corner and were beginning to recover. Preferably opened in advance and allowed to go slightly flat before being drunk. 

JJ - hope tomorrow is a little more sane, and that you can replace the tiler (or will you be stuck with doing it yourself?)

OT - is marathon training inevitably punishing "at your age"? Or could you do it if you were prepared to take it gently and not run the mara particularly fast?  (I do realise that the trouble with running a marathon slowly is that you'd be there all day).

• Columba, it takes me 5 hours, give or take 10 minutes for marathon, and sure feels like all day !

I turned the legs over tonight just for 3 miles, no real problems apart from bl**dy toothache after chipping a tooth this morning while eating cereal and prunes for breakfast, blooming stone left in one. Problems are all part of lifes rich tapestry  !

So sunday is still on  image

• OT, good luck for Sunday!

It now seems almost certain that Sunday in the South will have heavy rain and bitterly cold easterly wind, all day. Should make for an interesting race in the New Forest.image

• I've only posted again, to get this thread back to the top. It was buried among 3 pages of spam. Every weekend is the same, spam, spam spam.image

• Evening all,

Just popping in briefly to wish Terry good luck tomorrow.  Hope you have a good one xxx

Will read back tomorrow.

• OT - muesli is a bit risky for teeth, even apart from stones being left in the prunes. I've found bits of nutshell in mine before now.  I suppose now you will have to make a dental appointment, get the rough edge smoothed down.

TE - best of luck for tomorrow; hope the weather isn't too wet and blustery.

JJ - DIY stands for Don't Involve Yourself? Didn't you build a summerhouse?

Ran 7 and a half miles this afternoon. Lovely and sunny, very pretty, mellow fruitfulness all over the place, but a rather chilly wind. Came home to a very late lunch, after which I fell asleep.

Red - I hope you're not oppressed by gunk; and BIW - I hope you've recovered from the D & V.

• Afternoon all,

Right, I've read back so am up to date.  It's raining nice and steadily here which is just what our parched fields and garden need right now.  We've just had a fresh lot of sheepies delivered so they're busy exploring their new temporary home.

I went to see the quack on Friday and I saw my favourite doctor who is sporty and horsey and she actually listens to what you tell her.  She asked all the right questions, listened to my symptoms, checked back through my notes, listened to my chest and heart and changed my meds.  If they don't help I have to go back and she'll refer me for an xray.  

I took them for the first time yesterday (not really expecting miracles) and my immediate reaction is YIPPEEEEEE - no headache for the first time in 4 months, no leg cramps during the night (which have been waking me up every night) no nasty taste in my mouth, no runny nose, throat not as sore and today I don't feel like poo for the first time in ages.  Please, please let this be the start of the healing process .

IW, hope you're feeling better now.  I've rarely had coca cola so not familiar with it's tummy settling properties.

TE, hope this weather suits you as it's certainly raining here.

OT, I bet you've run your 10k haven't you - sub 55 minutes I hope image

If I feel this good tomorrow then I shall be out running, no matter what the weather image

• Red - well, that is very good news. But rather frightening that the doctor(s) you've seen previously did NOT listen, did NOT ask the right questions, did NOT (presumably) check back through your notes... Where was their medical professionalism?

Why have you acquired temporary sheepies?

Raining here too. Hope TE and OT are not washed out.

• Thanks everyone for your good luck wishes, and the race went better than I could ever have expected. The weather was absolutely foul, with very heavy rain and a bitterly cold easterly wind. I ran with Tony Hodge and we ran the whole race together finishing in a sprint finish. Our time was 1.52.17 and we increased our pace mile on mile. I will do a more detailed write up tomorrow.

OT, Hope you were able to do your race, and had better weather than we had in the New Forest.

• Morning all,

Just about to head out for a run in the rain.  Don't care about getting wet as long as I can run and feel OK.  Paws crossed I'll be OK - I'm only going to do a 3 mile tester.

TE, excellent result in such vile weather!  Very well done.

Columba, we let a local farmer graze some of his sheepies in 2 of our fields as it keeps them in good order.  At this time of year we get the ewes who have been to the ram (!) and they stay until around Christmas when they go home in readiness for lambing.  In the Spring we get hoggetts (over 1 year old) who will be going to the ram later in the year so they leave us in mid summer.

JJ, nice running.  I bet it was a bit squishy off-road.

Where's fang got to with his 10k report?