Question for the old timers- getting more popular?

It seems like every couple of weeks, someone else I know takes up running.

Is this because it's a sport whose time has come? Has there been a massive upswing in the number of people running in the last few years? Or am I just hitting the age when people decide they've got to do something other than sit around watching QI repeats on Dave?

Comments

• When it is pissing down, freezing and dark, I am sure Dave will get a good return to its viewing figures image. Can't move for runners around here on these cool, crisp, autumn mornings and evenings.

• No - it was just last week. Normal run and there's me and Nicko, a few dog walkers and the blonde lady. Last week couldn't move for bloody runners in the woods. Don't know what their game is. image

• There have been several enquiries about joining our running club, but whether they will turn into actual new members remains to be seen!

• Running, cycling, triathlon - they all seem to be booming - I think people are realising it's more fun than gym membership.

• Think a lot of poeple want to do it to say they have and then go back to there old lifestyle after. A few hang about and do it for years after which expain's a lot of us but don't think there is any more people doing at at the moment. Just wait till the first snow and then see how many are still doing it after.

• So there's always a big upswing for the light nights / warmer weather, and then it tails off again in the winter? 

I wondered whether the Olympics had an effect, or whether people thought it was cheaper than the gym! 

Separate topic really, but I'm always surprised other runners don't greet each other or smile when I go past the other way. If you're out hiking in the hills, everyone says hello- on the city pavements, not even a friendly nod.

• I don't think the Olympics would have made much of difference to the older generation as most athletes are in their 20s and 30s so perhaps there are other drivers. Whether people have entered the marathon and inspired by the fact that they may get in has had an effect or whether it is something else. Where I live in Clacton I very rarely see other runners (although to be fair it is early) but then I have been out in the evenings with my son on his bike and not seen anyone either - perhaps the population of Clacton is to old, or to drunk to run!!!

• You are living in the worng place SJ - almost always get some kind of acknowledgement round here! (Mind you I do most of my runs at 6 am so I don't usually see many people).

I've been running on and off since the late 80's. There are definitely more people out and about now (though not that many early mornings). There are significantly more in summer than winter, but I'm pretty sure there is a massive increase over the last few years. I don't seem to be seeing that much of a difference in fast runners, but there are many more slower ones. I think it is the growth of things like Race for Life which have burst the elitist bubble and people now feel it is more acceptable to be out bimbling around because you enjoy it, without having to be knocking out 6 minute miles. 

• SwissJames wrote (see)

So there's always a big upswing for the light nights / warmer weather, and then it tails off again in the winter? 

I wondered whether the Olympics had an effect, or whether people thought it was cheaper than the gym! 

Separate topic really, but I'm always surprised other runners don't greet each other or smile when I go past the other way. If you're out hiking in the hills, everyone says hello- on the city pavements, not even a friendly nod.

Mate there is a thing called the nod and an unwritten rule that you always say hello to anouther cycleist or runner when you go past and stick your tougue out and blow a raspberry if they don't. image It's very common practice everywhere except maybe London where they just think your a nutter.

• I love the runners/cyclists nod, i like to alter mine now and again with a slight twist of the head or maybe a wink with the nod, ive tried to combine the nod with the wink and head twist but it was a disaster, poor girl running toward me thought i was having a stroke.
  • I'm doing the nod and the smile, but getting nothing back!

This is in Manchester too, and not just the city centre, suburbs too. Maybe I'll get a t-shirt that says 

"Never mind the miles, where are the smiles?"

Maybe not.

• my local park has been full of runners this summer! hoping it gets quieter as it gets colder

• image James pull some faces at them they are letting the side down.