Minimal/Barefoot Running Shoes for wide feet

Hi All,

I'm looking for some wide-fitting running shoes of the minimal/barefoot type.

Usually, I take size 10 or 10.5 in the widest fitting . . .often, I have to buy an 11.0 to get a shoe that is wide enough.

I just cannot find any shoes to fit.  I found that whilst New Balance offer shoes in width fittings, they don't offer them in any of their 'barefoot' or racing shoe models image.

I've tried Merrells, but the only size that fitted width-wise, were size 11.5 which were too long.

Another problem I'm finding, is that many shoe shops don't have the full range of shoes in the sizes that I'd like to try.

My shoe problem has been going on for quite a while; I've been using an ancient pair of well-worn Walsh PB shoes for all training including on the road.  They've been terrific, but now I'd like a pair of road/multi-terrain shoes which are lightweight and actually fit.  I'm also going to be looking for replacements for the Walsh shoes - great shoes.  Do Walsh make road shoes ?

Can anyone tell me a shop in North Wales/Shropshire/Cheshire/Staffordshire/Lancashire that might have what I'm looking for in stock ?

My requirements are such, that I think that buying online is too risky, with shoes unlikely to fit - I'd really like to try them first.

Anyone know if Athlete's Feet in North Wales is still going ?

Cheers for any suggestions image

Comments

• i was going to say the Merrells as i have wide feet and love them, but i see you have tried them! I suppose you could go down the luna sandals route? but given that barefoot shoes are only really just a covering for the sole of the foot with no support, then maybe you could try any flat cheap plimsoll-like shoe for size?

• Oh by the way if you buy online from Wiggle or chain reaction cycles they have a good reputation and will take returns

• me again! have you tried the vivobarefoot range, i remember trying some on in TK maxx and they were just too wide.

•  TK Maxx ???  image

I didn't know that they sold running shoes; that's got to be worth a try, 'cos there's one about 20 minutes away !

Cheers for the reply, Max's Mum !  image

• Might be too much shoe in the Nike Frees but you can buy custom made in a wide fitting. Very expensive if they don'y fit though. £95 and months in the lead time.

I tend to take knife and scissors to my shoes these days to get them to fit width ways.

I just got fed up with nothing fitting.

• Hi, well given that they sell surplus stock type stuff, you never know whats going to be in there! so it will be pot luck i'm afraid.
    Wiggle do a good range http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vivobarefoot/ and they are excellent with their returns and exchanges. 

• VivoBarefoot Neos. Great width, including both midfoot and toe box.

And I agree about the New Balance. Why on earth they decided to offer their minimalist shoes ONLY in narrow (B) fitting, I've no idea. Merrells are too narrow for me as well, so I'm very glad I've got the option of the Neos.

They also do a trail version, which is good. I'm about to find out whether the new Inov8 Trailroc are wide enough - they've been listening to people so brought out some low trail shoes using their Anatomical last - but I've not manged to try them on yet.

• I've got both the inov8 150's and the 180's both are on the anatomical last but the 150's are much roomier in the toe box. funny that; I thought they'd be the same fit.
  • + 1 for the VivoBarefoot Neos and I agree with Debra comments.

I'm a size 4 and I have the VivoBarefoot Neo's in a size 5. I also have them in the trail version, but these are in a 4 as I found the 5's to be too long, but the 4's seem bigger than normal Neo's size.

I tried the Merelle gloves, but I found these were too narrow and the size 5 were too long!

I liked the Nike Run +2, these were wide and I had them in a size 4.5 in these. I did purchase the Nike Free 3.0 version 4 in the same size but I found these too narrow too.

• MarieB: That's really interesting and fits my experience. I remembered (I thought)having bought my first two pairs of Neos in a size 4, so got the same for my Neo Trails, plus a pair in size 5 to allow for foot swelling on very long runs (wore them for  my first 50 miler, on a hot day this summer). Then got a couple more pairs of the "ordinary" Neos in size 4 and noticed after my first runs that they were a bit too snug/short to be really comfy - looked at my original pairs and found they were 38 while the new ones are 37... I'm finding the new ones okay if I wear them without socks, but I'll certainly be buying the 38s from now on. But my Neo Trail 37s are fine for size.

• Yup to the Vivos - I use Neos and Breatho Trails, and they're both noice and wide. Sizes between different models are different though, so you'll want to go and try 'em on. I'm a 45 in the Breatho, a 44 in the Neos and apparently a 46 in Ultras.

The American Vivo site allows you to say what size you take in a variety of shoes from different makers and it'll recommend the right size for you - it was pretty spot on for me when compared with the Asics 1160s.

• Vivos are looking good for m e then. I tried on the merrel Trail Glove recently - blimey they're narrow!

Didn't realise the NB minimus were only in narrow - good to know.

So need a size up on the neos then?

• Probably a size up from your non-running shoes - just as for other running shoes. I take a size 4 in most normal shoes and I've found the Euro size 38 (= UK 5) best in the Neos (hybrid/road), while the Trail version (wth the chevron-shaped kugs on the sole) I'm fine with the size 37.

The other ones that might be worth looking at for trail are the new Inov8 Trailroc - I'm looking forward to trying those (235 probably, which are zero drop, but I may go for the 245 (3 mm drop) for the rock plate - I want them for Lakeland 50) as they're built on their Anatomic last, so hopefully will be wide enough in the toes.

• Thanks DB. I always assumed Inov8 were a narrow fit.

• I'd found their lower-drop shoes too narrow previously, but I'm hopeful about these. A rare example of a running shoe company listening to its customers and trying to offer what they were asking for...

• Cheers for all the replies, folks; i think I'll be going for the VivoBarefoot Neos.

DB, let me know how you get on if you try the Inov8 Trailrocs - I'm interested in those, as well !

I just hope that the VivoBarefoot Neos will actually fit - I'll let you all know how I get on - thank you for all your help !

• Hi All,

I enjoy barefoot running but still want some cushoining for when I run on the trails. Only problem is I know have a really wide splay when running so I need a shoe with a really wide toe box and some cushoining. Has anyone got hold of the altra lone peak in the UK as these seem awesome, cushioning and wide.

Thanks all.

• I've not seen altra lone peak shoes anywhere in the UK, or on any UK website.

• Mattybee49 have you tried the NB 110's - I just don't know how they pack so many features in such a lightweight shoe. 250g for a size 11, 4mm drop, rock plate, nice wide toe box, substantial outer sole and a fair amount of cushioning......for ??39?!?!?
  • +1 for the NB 110. Got me through a 50k trail race last month with no problems. I also have wide feet. If those shoes are good enough for Tony Kupricka then they are good enough for me.
  • I can barely get my foot into the NB 110 - I really wish I -could- wear them, but they're so narrow in the midfoot, there's no way they can work for me.

• Hi Debra.... Maybe the ladies shoe is on a different last but these things are far from narrow, I mean really far from being narrow. I'd say they are baggy!
  • I've had a similar experience to Debra re. the NB110s - narrow in the midfoot.  I tried a size up and the midfoot was fine, but the shoes were now too long.  I've recently found shoes that do fit and I've just purchased a pair of Vivo Barefoot Neos and a pair of Vivo Barefoot Evos.

The fit of these shoes is just 'spot on'.

Thank you all, for taking the trouble to respond to my original posting; it is always interesting and useful, to hear the experiences of others.

• Hi Andy, really glad we've all been able to help. Enjoy the VBs!

• Oh yes; regarding 'minimal' & barefoot shoes, I really feel that New Balance are missing out in this market.

New Balance are known for offering a choice of widths for their shoes; but if you actually look at their website, width fittings are available for only a few shoes - ones that are rather heavy in construction.  

I bought my first New Balance shoes nearly 30 years ago (I think they were called NB 730s or 735s - really great shoes) and I've been a loyal customer until now.  

I think that the NB shoes are brilliant; I love the NB 110s and the Minimus range; if I could find some that actually fit, I'd buy quite a few pairs.  However, they don't now sell the type of shoes that I'd like to buy.  They don't offer width fittings for any barefoot or road racing shoes; so for these, I've spent my money elsewhere. 

• Debra Bourne wrote (see)

VivoBarefoot Neos. Great width, including both midfoot and toe box.

And I agree about the New Balance. Why on earth they decided to offer their minimalist shoes ONLY in narrow (B) fitting, I've no idea. Merrells are too narrow for me as well, so I'm very glad I've got the option of the Neos.

MarieB wrote (see)

+ 1 for the VivoBarefoot Neos and I agree with Debra comments.

I'm a size 4 and I have the VivoBarefoot Neo's in a size 5. I also have them in the trail version, but these are in a 4 as I found the 5's to be too long, but the 4's seem bigger than normal Neo's size.

I tried the Merelle gloves, but I found these were too narrow and the size 5 were too long!  

Shoes smell like horse piss wrote (see)

Vivos are looking good for m e then. I tried on the merrel Trail Glove recently - blimey they're narrow!

Didn't realise the NB minimus were only in narrow - good to know.

So need a size up on the neos then?

I find it interesting, that others have had exactly the same experience and found the NB & Merrell shoes to be too narrow !

. . . . . . . & we've only found what we want, in the Vivobarefoot range.

NB & Merrell - listen to what people want !

'Well done', Vivobarefoot !

Hi Andy, really glad we've all been able to help. Enjoy the VBs!

Cheers Debra,

You have been a big help; it's great to hear from someone, who has had the same experiences.

I've just bought some more shoes - I now have 4 pairs of shoes made by Vivobarefoot; I like to buy a few pairs, just in case they stop making shoes that I like . . . and actually fit !

All the best,

Andy

VivoBarefoot Neos. Great width, including both midfoot and toe box.

They also do a trail version, which is good. I'm about to find out whether the new Inov8 Trailroc are wide enough - they've been listening to people so brought out some low trail shoes using their Anatomical last - but I've not manged to try them on yet.

Have you tried the VivoBarefoot Neo Trails ?

I'd like to do some longer trail runs - 30 miles(ish).  If I were to buy some of the Neo Trails, do you think it would be advisable to get a size larger than the standard  (road) Neos ?  Presumably, I'd need a larger size, to allow for swollen feet ?

Oh yes, is there any appreciable difference, between the Neo Trails & the Breatho Trails ?

Any advice much appreciated !  image

• Look back a page. I like the Neo Trails. They seem to be slightly larger than the "same size" road/multiterrain Neos - so the Neos size 38 are comfortable for me with twinskins; the size 37 Neos are so snug I can only wear them with no or very thin socks, while I can wear the size 37 Neo Trail with twinskins, comfortably. The only time I've worn my larger pair (38) were for the NDW50 which was on a hot day (so I was worried about swelling). Not tried the Breathos.

I have a couple extra pairs of (road) Neos size 37 which I've not worn yet and would happily sell if I found someone who wanted them (unlikely, at this size), and get more size 38s.