Treadmill vs Road

So today I decided to run on the treadmill, I tried to do a tempo run but didn't feel the pace at speed 12, which is equivelant to a 5min mile, so I decided to up it to speed 15(15mph), which is a 4min mile and I still felt quite comfortable. Decided to up it to speed 17 which is around 3:40min mile, and I decided to see whether I could do 2 miles of this, and I did! 7:20 for 2 miles on a treadmill compared to a 18:40 5k on the road image

I know the treadmill is easier but is it supposed to be 'this' much easier? 

Comments

• Most treadmills work in km/hr..........

• Nope, this was definitely mph.

• are we suppost to believe this? image

• If that is true then you really are back on your "Road To Rio"

• Great going, off to Rio indeed,
    I see Mo Farah only managed an 8:40 over 2 miles at the Great North City games last Saturday - slacker.

• JeremyG wrote (see)

Great going, off to Rio indeed,
    I see Mo Farah only managed an 8:40 over 2 miles at the Great North City games last Saturday - slacker.

jeremy the OP did make me laugh, honestly.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    mike rushton wrote (see)

So today I decided to run on the treadmill, I tried to do a tempo run but didn't feel the pace at speed 12, which is equivelant to a 5min mile, so I decided to up it to speed 15(15mph), which is a 4min mile and I still felt quite comfortable. Decided to up it to speed 17 which is around 3:40min mile, and I decided to see whether I could do 2 miles of this, and I did! 7:20 for 2 miles on a treadmill compared to a 18:40 5k on the road image

I know the treadmill is easier but is it supposed to be 'this' much easier? 

You are clearly delusional. Have you considered seeing a doctor. On reflection, make that Dyno-rod.

🙂

• lol you guys are hilarious! image

It was speed 17, and it said mph underneath it. 17 kph translates to 10.5 mph, which is around how fast I run the 5k in, im not retarded, that pace was way faster than my 5k pace, which brings me back to my question, the treadmill must be way easier than running on the road, or previously thought.

• I think it is the pace that is wrong here. 10mph is 6:00min/mile, this is realistic. In answer to your question the treadmill is always easier as you have no wind resistance or inclines to worry about. Hope this clears it up.  

• mike rushton wrote (see)

lol you guys are hilarious! image

It was speed 17, and it said mph underneath it. 17 kph translates to 10.5 mph, which is around how fast I run the 5k in, im not retarded, that pace was way faster than my 5k pace, which brings me back to my question, the treadmill must be way easier than running on the road, or previously thought.

if it was that easy then why did mo farah win the olympic 5000 instead of you then eh. am not trying to put you down but your original post was truly unrealistic

• Because that race was done on a track not a treadmill. Track has corners, ground doesn't move below your feet, and theres wind resistance.

• So you think the treadmill was set to 17mph (27.35kph)? And then you ran at that speed for 2 miles?

The 800m world record is around 1:41. That's 28.5kph. Here's a video of an 800m runner trying and failing to do this on a treadmill.

Video

I suspect either the treadmill was set in kph or alternatively was very badly calibrated.

• What planet are you from, you'll be faster then Usain Bolt next

• Andy D wrote (see)

So you think the treadmill was set to 17mph (27.35kph)? And then you ran at that speed for 2 miles?

The 800m world record is around 1:41. That's 28.5kph. Here's a video of an 800m runner trying and failing to do this on a treadmill.

Video

I suspect either the treadmill was set in kph or alternatively was very badly calibrated.

It was speed 17, and it said mph below it, it definitely wasn't 17 kph(10.5mph) because I know what that pace feels like. Trust me im as suprised as you are when I managed to do it for 3200m, or as you say, the treadmill could of been a dodgy, but it looks in good shape.

• RicF wrote (see)

Prove it.

I'll get my mate to video it and put it on youtube or something the next time I do it.

• Thread duly bookmarked.  I shall follow with interest.

Just one word: calibration.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Some of the posters on here know about pace. At 10.00mph which is actually the speed of your 5k, ie 18:40 /3.107 miles = 6:00 and 60min/6 = 10. Where was I? ah yes, at 10mph some of these guys are jogging, at 12.5mph they'll feel like they are sprinting. The 'mark up' is that significant. Its odds on you couldn't get close to 17mph in a sprint over any distance. Its that fast. You didn't run any faster than 11mph on that treadmill.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    mike rushton wrote (see)
    RicF wrote (see)

Prove it.

I'll get my mate to video it and put it on youtube or something the next time I do it.

Give my regards to Elvis.

🙂

•  

It was speed 17, and it said mph below it, it definitely wasn't 17 kph(10.5mph) because I know what that pace feels like. Trust me im as suprised as you are when I managed to do it for 3200m, or as you say, the treadmill could of been a dodgy, but it looks in good shape.

So it was measuring speed in mph and distance in metres?
    Want to be careful of that, mixing your metric and imperial, you'll be crashing your Mars lander next.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

HAHAHA... thanks for the tip, I am off to the treadmill to nail your new world record! Sorry.

Fantastic.

• Where is this gym? I want a go!! image

• Looks like the treadmill can't handle you. You need to 'pimp your mill'.

There are some youtubes (search 23 mph treadmill) of 23mph sprints. That should give you a nice tempo run
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

How did I miss this the first time round?

+1 (or +3 or whatever) for calibration.  I did a very rare tempo session on a gym treadmill recently and realised something wasn't right when I'd cranked it up to "18kph" but was jogging along with heart rate still down at 60% max.  I could've "done a Rushton", stayed on the treadmill to impress the gym bunnies for a bit, then come on here to brag about it, but I had some proper training to do, so I got on the treddy next to it and knocked out 8 miles at 16.6kph instead*.  Obviously I have no way of knowing how accurate this was, except to report that my heart rate was about the same as I would expect running at the same pace outdoors, and I was sweating like a pig in cling film.

*...and then came on here to brag about it.  image

• "Proper training"? on a treadmill? Good one.
  • Oh shiiiittt I am doing intervals on treadmill tomorrow.  I am going to look a twat aren't I when I pop on my lovely P&D thread and annouce I have ran them faster than NoPain.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Sebastian80 wrote (see)
    "Proper training"? on a treadmill?

Yes.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

I only discovered the benefits of treadmill training this winter. Brilliant for Tempo / Intervals. Don't think I will be recommending a 20m LSR though, once in a lifetime is enough.

I rely on my Garmin with footpod for data, so as yet haven't experienced the 'Rushton Effect' on the treadmill.