The Big Stockport Run 10K

This will be the first year of the Big Stockport event series - including the Big Stockport 10k

Please take a look at the route map which can be found at

http://www.lifeleisure.net/enterprise/enquiryforms/contactbigevent 

Be part of our inaugural year.

Comments

• Thanks Neil. Interested in doing this race (just got back into running after having my first baby in January!). Not sure how to register though. I did fill out an enquiry form at the above link, but not had a reply...

Is there an online registration?

• Hi Ehlne,

Have you managed to registier yet? you can do it online with runners world now........although if you filled out an enquiry form at the link you should have been sent details

Thanks

• I will be doing this event as its very close to my home, but I have to say its not been very well organised or marketed by Stockport Council. Cant see it mentioned on many, if any, racing calendar websites.

No entries are allowed on the day, and the forms and info are slightly confusing. Also entries have to be received 10 days before!

They need to have an obvious online entry similar to Race Results, and be able to enter on the day. I expect quite a low turnout which is a shame as it could be quite good.

• Ok I take that back oops. You can enter online via this very website. Sorry!

However my point does remain, the organisers should mention Runners World on the flyer, as only postal entries or 'register your interest' at the life leisure website is listed as far as I can see. A bit confusing.

Hope it goes well, would like Stockport as a town to have a big race similar to York 10k for example? As a Stockport resident knowing the route, not sure about the stunning countryside haha!

• Hi Matt,

Thanks for the feedback, as this is our first year we are looking for as much feedback as possible.

The event has been marketed through the council, life leisure sites and through the local community within Stockport. I would agree that we could have got the message out through the running community more effectively. It is something we will evaluate for next year. The 10 day entry deadline and the lack of on the day entry was an organisational decision taken to ensure we are prepared on the day

This is an event that will be around for years to come, I hope you enjoy it and please feel free to get in contact after the race and let me know how you found it.

Thanks

• Thanks Neil. Just one more query. Is it 10 days before for online as well or just post?

• How many runners do you have so far?image 

• Just tried and failed to pay over the phone (problem with the payment method apparently), and was resigned to blowing the dust off my cheque book and buying a stamp whilst riding my Penny Farthing around a sleeping T-Rex. Luckily I stumbled across this thread and saw the link to online entry!

• You proved my point James! Enjoy the run.
  • Anyone know how hilly the course is?

• I've entered and got my number and race details.  Looking forward to it.

James, looking at the route the course starts on an uphill section and then seems to flatten off after maybe 1/2 mile...that is however until you get into Woodbank and Vernon Park when there will be a short downhill section and then uphill on New Zealand Road.  (If you have done the Woodbank Parkrun or Stockport 10 then you will be familiar with that - if you haven't then why not????image

There must be more downhills than uphills as you finish near Debenhams which is definitely a sharp descent away from the starting point. 

I would think that becase the start and finish are separated by maybe 400 metres and you run more downhill as a result that the course won't count as an official PB course.  MattM, maybe you can confirm this?  But it will be good fun regardless!

• I didnt know that rule about more downhill and pb's. Not sure! Does start uphill but only about 1k or so. Will be mostly flat between 2 and 5k. New Zealand Road will be fun near the end, but its not too long dont worry! Will be strange doing a race around roads I run all the time!

I see online entries is also now gone 10 days before race. Poor form organisers. Yet the race is still advertsied in leisure centres everywhere. The web page stil offers an enquiry form, but why would you want to do that?? Please be better organised/technological next time.

• I'm looking forward to it! Really excited....as you said though the scenery wont be that spectacular!

Is it s busy turn out does anyone know?

• Sorry MattM - I should have been asking Neil Bardsley 3!  There are some rules about these things obviously to avoid records being set on courses that are more downhill than uphill.

Good luck to everyone!

• Firstly yes there are a number of up hills and down hills throughout the course. most noticable down through venron park and up newzeland road as previously indicated. There is also a sharp downhill just after the market place past bakers vault towards the end of the course.

There are 200+ entries so hopefully will be a good event. 

Just to clarify the entry procedure. The event has been open for entry for some time. There were two methods of entry - An online application via runners world and a postal method using the life leisure website. we closed the application process 10 days before the race to ensure we were able to get information and race numbers out to participants (maybe a mistake) This is our first event of this kind and we will review its highs and lows at the end and improve for next year. 

In order to rectify the possible issues of closing the registration 10 days before the event, We are going to take entries on the day of the event between 9 and 9.30 at the start point on St peters Square. 

BetaHasBeen Yes your correct the course will not count as an offical PB course but as you say we hope it will be fun regardless. 

• Sorry for the newbie question, but is it not an "official PB course" because it's too hard, or because it's too easy? image

• No worries James, I am new to all of this so a total newbie as well. As far as I am aware it is not associaited with the difficulty of the race.The race does not have an official UKA licence, The course has been officially measured and we have completed the vast majority of the requiremets for a UKA licenced race however we do not have an officially qualified event adjudicator so for that reason it can not contribute to UKA ranking points etc

• Life Leisure - they run the gym at Grand Central don't they?  Probably be there on Friday.

It's quite an achievement to get road closures for the event.  There are a lot of established races having to cancel due to health and safety red tape because the Council are demanding roads to be closed, which is too expensive.

If this is to become a regular event then there are plenty of ways to promote it.  There are local parkruns at Woodbank, Bramhall, South Manchester, Marple and Burnage that attract nearly 1,000 people.  A leaflet drop would probably get a good response.

• I can't even spell UKA, so if I get a decent time will certainly be counting it as a PB!

• ha ha that's fine by me James !!!

Just to confirm to everyone we will be taking entries on the day. Look for the Life Leisure tent at the start point

Thanks

• humm, too late to enter online I guess, cant find a link

• see post above can enter on day now after my moaning haha!

• Looking forward to this.  Ran the Great North Run last weekend, so don't know if that will help or hinder!  Are the roads going to be closed?  Wasn't sure if they would be, as can't imagine the council letting you close the A6, but good if it is.

• Yes, the roads will all be closed during the race including the A6.  The difference is that the race is essentially organised by the council through Life Leisure who run the council gyms.  This is a great effort from the council and hopefully the start of a new era of supporting road races in the area.

I have heard that there is entry on the day but I'd get there early.

• Like Neil says they are learning this year.  Next year they'll have much earlier announcements and entry system etc. improved.  

We've had entry forms at Bramhall parkrun for the last few weeks and there's been a lot of interest.

Hopefully this will become an annual event with a growing number of runners - all the more reason to be there for the first one!

• RB are you doing it?

• Well it's safe to say I'm extremely mad for it. Had 1 moths intense training, break yesterday and today , going out @ 10am Saturday morning to get body used to it. I dont think 10 pints & a curry tonight would've helped!
  • BHB yes, I thought I'd have a bimble.  ;).

• Looking forward to December when I am out of your category!  Anyone else from Bramhall / Wilmslow / elsewhere I might know that is running?

• Sorry BHB didn't know it was on your target listimage.

V45s I think only maybe Malcolm, Rob Tudor and Andy Green.  Kwaka too of course.  Oh and Bashir.

I'm doubling with a parkrun in the morning.