Trolls

Comments

• Ian MIan M ✭✭✭

Good for you! Obviously once runners have compulosry insurance like other road users they'll probably be an extra premium associated with using them.

• EKGO wrote (see)

Yeah, tangent indeed I get you, I'm just not sure about wishing someone dead,

I should clarify- my kneejerk reaction is to play devil's advocate, whether that's to say

"Oh don't get so upset, she was never going to bring out a decent 3rd album anyway"

or 

"He was a deeply troubled paedophile, let's not get carried away because he could dance in 1987". 

What I actually do is maintain a respectful silence. 

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

So you say something just for the sake of getting a reaction?!

*Scrolls back up to Ian M's description*

• WiB wrote (see)

So you say something just for the sake of getting a reaction?!

*Scrolls back up to Ian M's description*

Nope.

Not sure how much clearer I can be here. I might think these things, but I don't write, say, or post them. To do so would be to put the 'jerk' in 'kneejerk'.

The OP said he couldn't understand why people would write such offensive things. I'm saying that I can kind of understand it, but I don't do it, or excuse it.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    SwissJames wrote (see)

My kneejerk reaction is always to say "Well I'm glad they're dead, and here's why...".
    It's a reaction to the bandwagon jumping, not the actual event.

SwissJames wrote (see)

EKGO wrote (see)

Yeah, tangent indeed I get you, I'm just not sure about wishing someone dead,

I should clarify- my kneejerk reaction is to play devil's advocate, whether that's to say 

Maybe you should have said 'think' instead of 'say'?! Just so you are aware those 2 words do not share a meaning.

• Not really interested in getting into an argument.

• Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)

When websites allow people to post other than in their real names, they separate freedom from responsibility. Posters are enabled to say what they like under cover of anonymity. It isn't surprising that some people will choose to be rude, offensive, threatening, sinister, careless, reckless, defamatory, et cetera, in what they say. Such is human nature. The ability to post without giving your real name brings out the worst in certain types if they think no one knows who they are and there will be no consequences. They would behave differently, I'm sure, if they could only post under their real names.

Personally I'd prefer it if everyone used their real names online, but that isn't the way the internet has developed. Trolling and other offensiveness is simply a consequence of anonymity being freely available across the internet.

I totally agree with you Colin McLaughlin, or whatever your real name is.........

Regards

Mike Hunt

• There was a lot of talk in South Korea a few years ago about forcing people to post under their real name. In fact, just checked, and they did implement it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_real-name_system

It ties in nicely with their national ID card scheme. Not sure whether I can imagine a similar thing happening in the UK though, I guess a lot of people would worry about identity theft?

• carterusm wrote (see)

I totally agree with you Colin McLaughlin, or whatever your real name is.........

Regards

Mike Hunt

An oldie, but a goodie!

• I once knew a real Michael Hunt

• Hugh Janus.

Ivor Biggun.

Willy Warmer.

Wayne Kerr.

Wayne King.

• Juan Kerr works better Rickster image

• My brother went to school with an Andrew Bate. He got called Master far more than he liked.....

• His Dorset cousin Isaac Hunt

• There is, of course, the infamous Ben Dover and Dick Head
  • How many people bought a Goblin Teasmaid and didn't realise what a rude name it had?

• Rickster wrote (see)

How many people bought a Goblin Teasmaid 

I'll stop you there: 20, maximum!

• I would have thought it would be nearer to 69......

• Two famous Scottish Gentlemen 

Ben Doone and Phil McAvity

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Rickster wrote (see)

Hugh Janus.

Ivor Biggun.

Willy Warmer.

Wayne Kerr.

Wayne King.

Richard Soul

🙂

• SwissJames wrote (see)
    xine267 wrote (see)

One of his terrible justifications was that it was a reaction against all the "hypocritical" posts from people who didn't know the victims saying how much they would be missed. 

Whilst it's not a great justification- and certainly doesn't excuse the extreme actions of trolls, I do agree with this.

A friend of mine has a blog and every time a celebrity dies, he'll have a post about how wonderful they were and how much they'll be missed. It's grief tourism.

My kneejerk reaction is always to say "Well I'm glad they're dead, and here's why...".

If he really had strong feelings on how the grief tourists were reacting he could have responded to their comments by saying "I think you are being a hypocrite" or even "stop getting off on human misery, you weirdo".

What he seemed to do was scour Facebook for memorial pages (and why shouldn't families do this? It just seems like the 21st century version of putting a notice in the paper or sending out black edged cards) and then spam them leaving all kinds of vitrolic abuse while hiding behind a false user name, or indeed creating accounts using the real names of the person who had died, editing photos of them and posting sick videos about them.

Both sick and spineless.

• RicF wrote (see)
    Rickster wrote (see)

Hugh Janus.

Ivor Biggun.

Willy Warmer.

Wayne Kerr.

Wayne King.

Richard Soul

I used to work with a woman whose last name was Zahoor. That works with any first name image

• RicF wrote (see)
    Rickster wrote (see)

Hugh Janus.

Ivor Biggun.

Willy Warmer.

Wayne Kerr.

Wayne King.

Richard Soul

Drew Peacock

• And Terry Wogan's breakfast show correspondant who claimed to have a Welsh mum and Japanese dad - Myfanwy Izichi

• xine267 wrote (see)
    SwissJames wrote (see)
    xine267 wrote (see)

One of his terrible justifications was that it was a reaction against all the "hypocritical" posts from people who didn't know the victims saying how much they would be missed. 

Whilst it's not a great justification- and certainly doesn't excuse the extreme actions of trolls, I do agree with this.

A friend of mine has a blog and every time a celebrity dies, he'll have a post about how wonderful they were and how much they'll be missed. It's grief tourism.

If he really had strong feelings on how the grief tourists were reacting he could have responded to their comments by saying "I think you are being a hypocrite" or even "stop getting off on human misery, you weirdo".

What he seemed to do was scour Facebook for memorial pages (and why shouldn't families do this? It just seems like the 21st century version of putting a notice in the paper or sending out black edged cards) and then spam them leaving all kinds of vitrolic abuse while hiding behind a false user name, or indeed creating accounts using the real names of the person who had died, editing photos of them and posting sick videos about them.

Both sick and spineless.

I'd add "stupid" too, since it seemed to take the police an afternoon's work to find and arrest him!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • http://www.traynorseye.com/2012/09/meeting-troll.html

An interesting blog by someone who was a victim of a troll and found out who they were.

Now just gotta think of a name to add to the list so I can stick to the current topic....There was an A. Hole at my last work place. Made me giggle when I got emails forom her!

• Enjoyed that article.

Back when I used to blog I had a fellow blogging mate who used to get terrible trolling abuse, people following him on public forums, leaving comments and sending emails all of the time. He never seemed particularly down when we talked about it.

Eventually he moved to another country and ended up killing himself. I don't think the trolling was related at all, but was certainly happy to let those with a guilty conscience think it was their fault.

• Catalin, fascinating article, thanks for that