New runner here

Hi every one. Been searching and thought I'd ask on here rather than read other threads as we are all different , Ok in 34 and have reached a point in my life where I want to make my family proud and join the TA , I have 5 weeks to do my 1.5 mile run and my time is not budging. Am I expecting to fast results ? About me :::: I'm 34 and I'm 15.1 stone and 6ft . I'm a HIV driver and I'm always jumping and running around in the day with work. Out side work I walk a lot and don't work out. Being as honest so I can get honest feed back !!! I started 5 days ago by running along the Thames in London at a time of 15.20 and have got down to 15.02 but getting that minute shaved of is seeming hard. I'm very determine to do this and have only just got home from getting my first pair of running shoes. I normally do .7 of a mile then out of breath and walk fast then run again. Is there any tips as for when to eat , other trainning apart from running to help this ? Many thanks image

Comments

• Predictive texts was ment to say hgv driver not HIV !!! Sorry
  • Try running further than the distance you are aiming for. If you can build up to running comfortably for an hour then the speed will come naturally on the shorter runs.

It is very difficult at the beginning to try to take a whole minute off your time simply by running the 1.5 miles over and over. You will also get very frustrated and possibly bored with it.

If you are training 3 times a week, make one run a long one, one a hill session perhaps, and one your 1.5 miler. There are some great training plans on this site so you should be able to find one you can follow or amend slightly to suit.

Be very wary of trying to do too much too soon, which is very easily done, and will lead to injury. Take it nice and easy and the speed will come when you have your fitness up to a good level.

Hope this is of some help, keep it up and you will get there!

• I think you will find that extra minute without too much bother. Springle has quite rightly given you advice which should see your aerobice fitness levels increase. This is important, and 5 weeks gives you some chance to improve this.

However, equally important is that you will also learn how to pace your run so that you can run the whole thing, without slowing very much, or stopping. Similarly you will find that you will learn how to hurt your body more, and keep going when you are stopping at the moment.

I halped my daughter prepare for her 800m race at school sports day. She only had  2 weeks, so no time to really impact her actual fitness. Yet by practicing doing 800m several times, she ended up knocking 52s off her time simply because she could pace it properly and was prepared to tough it out.

I suggest the plan Springle said, but do your next 1.5m slower, at a pace you know you can maintain for the whole thing. Then each week, do that run slightly faster.

• I agree with all above, one thing though, I know these timed runs have a target.

It might be an idea to try a target pace session, maybe 4x1/2 mile efforts at target pace With a short rest in between or add 5 mins at target pace to one of your other runs, just so you get familiar with the pace you need.

Sorry to give you another thing to think about.
  • I don't know how the TA run is organised, but if you are running with others they'll probably drag you round faster, even if not, you'll probably go faster just with adrenaline in the real thing.

I recently took part in Marathon Talk's Magic Mile event - one mile flat out. Tried twice on my own at home - 6:09 and 6:08. Both times absolutely knackered - 2nd time, was wheezing and coughing the whole rest of the evening. Couldn't have run another step.

Last Saturday, did a 5k Parkrun (great fun - look them up and try one!), went through the first mile in 6:02, and carried on to run the next 2 miles at about 6:09 pace. 

• Claret, that's not fair. I can run 5x6:30-6:40 in training with 3 min recoveries but still can't sub 20 Parkrun.
  • The other thing to mention is that the 1.5 mile test is the entrance exam.  If you get in, I'd expect the training to need to you to run further.  So adding long runs now not only helps with the test, but sets the foundations for further training

• Thanks guys , well I have def done to much by the sound of it. As Monday I did the first run , Tuesday I did a 8 mile fast walk , Wednesday I ran again as I did yesterday so may miss it tonight then. The only real pain I get is from my ankles up into my shines but that has faded out over the week. I think your right claret as it will be a whole new experiance running it for real as my partner done 2 weeks trainning for the race for like 10 k and on the day she did it just over a hour. Very impressed. So should I aim for 3 to 4 time a week ? What about eating ? Should I eat after or a few hours before my run ? Thanks guys
  • With 5 weeks to go on 4 runs a week I would go for:-

1. A long slow run with walk breaks if you need it, say at least 30 mins.

2. Rest

3. 6 x 400 meters fast with 100 meter walk recoveries.

4. Rest

5. Short easy run

6. 1 mile easy, 1/2 mile at target pace or just above, 1 male easy

7. Rest

Take 2 full days off before the test.
  • i give tonight a miss and do a short run tomorrow , now i got me running shoes i wanna go out and feel the difrence image

• Have a confession , I had to try them and just ran in a time of 14.49 !! Very happy and big smiles. Can't believe how a pair of running shoes can make a change !!
  • Well done. It wasn't the trainers that made you run faster though - it was you & your mind!

• Well I have left it 2 days and going to have a run later , feeling a bit tender tho as I went go ape yesterday but I will do the half hour slow run ,
  • Good luck. I'm sure you'll be ok given that you're coming in under the time now, without the motivation that running in the group will give you  - don't forget your press-ups and sit-ups as well