Saturday 22nd September 2012

Morning.

Lyrics - Don't lie and say that it's ok

Where's birkmyre?

Can't help I'm afraid Alehouse - good that you have your appointment so quickly.

Lots of racing this weekend RFJ - enjoy.

Hope that sub 20 is yours 7d.

What:              LSR
Why:               two more to do before tapering
Last hard:        today may not be easy
Last rest:         21/9

Yesteday's lyrics were Tired by Adele.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Morning.

OKOKOKOK I know i'm only part time around here at the moment. Still no running!!

Going to see the man again on Monday. I'm not sure what he can do but the problem seems to be changing. ITB is ok now but its bottom of Hammer at the moment. The man reckons another few needles in the arse and it'll get easier - -  -We'll see.

Otherwise things going good.

Swam 4k yesterday in 1.15 - v happy with that.

Long cycle later today.

Ale - running out of things to say to you only keep plugging away - youre still a runner!!!!

LMH - Have a good long un!!

Blisters - good to see dark side and bright side developing!!

7D - that will be a 19 soon!!

RFJ - Busy weekend - Enjoy!

• Morning!

Just back from watching one of the thread at a parkrun! Hope there is a report to follow!
    Whilst there had a phone call from Running Doc: whilst its difficult to diagnose he thinks the calf is failing because of poor gait because of the Achilles problems. He says the only option may well be the "para-tenon strip and internal decompression" operation. Obviously will be discussing this on Monday evening and obviously want to avoid the op if at all possible.

What: a small amount of walking at above parkrun caused a problem
    Why: after driving the 2 miles home got out the car and couldn't walk...Achilles had, quite unnervingly, stuck and was quite painful to shift it.

Lyrics: no

Paddy: running apart, you seem to be going well.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Alehouse: Your calf/achilles issues sound pretty serious. So much so that all we can do is to urge you to stay determined and focused, both attributes of which you have in spades.

LSR with club this morning. as I've said before it consists of an early loop of 8M plus an optional second loop of up to 8M.On this basis I ran the first 8M at 7:48 pace and had enough left in the legs to do another 6M at 8:30 pace. So pretty pleased with how my LSR is improving.
  • Sorry to hear that you're still not running Paddy. I had a great one thanks - 21 miles average 8.30s with the last mile the quickest at 8.11. Beautiful day for it. Hope OH has it as good for Langdale Half - though I suspect that will be somewhat hillier than the route I chose today!

Alehouse - at the risk of sounding blunt - get the surgery as soon as you can - you've tried to sort it conservatively, if surgery is offered it would seem to be your best chance to get back to running.

Tom - improving by the week! Is your calf holding up ok?

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Lots of things that you're saying LMH that I totally agree with. iN particular your advice to ale house is spot on. I'm also pleased to see you had a good day today. You seemed to have bounced back from your problems over the past couple of weeks.

Thanks for the encouragement on the improvement front. I've always found that if I knuckle down to it and knock out the LSRs consistantly then these tend to speed up pretty quickly. I'm planning to get them up to 16M and eventually speed them up to 7:30 pace by end October. The calf is holding up pretty well. I stretch it every time I've run on it and back off if it feels uncomfortable when running. I'm getting a few twinges from supporting muscles in the calf area so need to be aware of issues relating to that.

I'm currently getting more satisfaction from my running now than at any time since 2008....despite the fact that I'm not running particularly quickly....it just seems a worthwhile thing to do again.
  • 70 miles d&d on the bike - lovely day for it.

Ale - yeah - i can sulk or keep fit - I choose the latter (although i sulk a bit too!!!) I'd say youre sulked out at this stage! Time for knife instructions??????

• Tom - it came to me on my run this morning (don't you just love the thinking time they give you) that the reason I'm running more slowly than before VLM could well be the increased mileage. Whilst my volume of training was similar if not higher there was a lot less running involved. I've managed huge mileage (for me) this campaign but the downside to the increase in mileage has always been an initial loss of speed. Hopefully it's coming back in time!

Paddy - you make me feel guilty for neglecting my bike! I'm only riding once a week for about an hour at the minute as a nearly rest day. Glad you got out and enjoyed it, your running fitness will be back much more quickly for it.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

glad you are enjoying your running Tom

The lad has gone one step further today........... smashed his parkrun pb by 35 secs, to smash the 18 min barrier for the 1st time in 17:40...... and 1st place too.... I was a tad further back in 19:14 and 5th (which at Andover the time is my 2nd fastest there so very hapy with that)

a mix of other running today, totalling 11.35m inc the park run... feeling good.

Now for the SEAA road relays tomorrow

• LMH, that is some great distance training that you are knocking out.
    Paddy, 4000m in 1h15m? Awesome. 70 miles on the bike? Yeah it was a great day for it. Good mileage banked there.
    Alehouse, it does sound serious. I'd go with whatever advice I was given.
    Tom, It's pleasing to see the pace and endurance improving.

What: 40 miles biked (with hills) followed immediately by 2.5 miles run at a shocking 7:20 pace. It wasn't intended to be fast, but there was this other runner that simply needed to be chased down. Fun.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    RFJ - a big well done to the lad both for his time and position. I'm sure you must be dead chuffed for him. This could be the start of a virtuous circle leading to continuing improvement.
  • Evening all. Trafford 5 - 3 Spennymoor. What a game!

Oh yeah, running, that old thing.

SUB 20 ATTAINED! 19.40!

Muchos thanks to all here for support, especially for Alehouse who has witnessed and offered encouragement at two PBs now.

All I can really recall is hitting 2km in 8.00 flat and then pushing on to 3km at 11.50 - and feeling like I was picking up speed rather than fading.

I've got other targets that are miles (literally) away: 40 for 10k and 90 for HM. But for now I'm chuffed as hell.

Again thanks to all!

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    7D congratulations - great day for you
  • Just switched the laptop on and really pleased at the Trafford score! Even more pleased to have witnessed 7D set another personal best! image I think there's lots more to come, especially if you warm up!! image

RFJ: just change your name to Chuffed Dad.  Never understood what RFJ meant anyway! Well done to you as well, never mind the lad!

Re possible op, I have an open mind about what the guy is going to say. If it is to be an op then yes, the sooner the better. Inevitably there are complications., like his hospital is 50 miles away! I'm sure it will all come good in the end!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

7D well done,

Thanks Tom, I have always believed that he has potential, he is now starting to realise it too.......... on wards and upwards, XC will be interesting this year as he will be classed as a U20....

• RFJ:  junior needs to be warned that this year will be tough on the country. I had one of my worst ever years as a first year junior, yet ran quite well in school age groups which are quite different, and I have never understood why. There is a big difference, as we may have mentioned before, between someone who is not quite 17 and someone who is pretty well a full grown male a day or two short of 20 years old.

Tom, LMH: pleasing long runs! Looking forward to doing one some time in the future!

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Thanks Ale..... and agreed.

RFJ stands for my faith Run for Jesus....

• Ah, that would make the Sunday race scene slightly awkward.

• late pop in...
    RFJ, great stuff for you and junior, prob see u tomorrow at Aldershot...also congrats on the pb 7D, I certainly think sub 40 and sub 90 are within your reach.
    Tom, glad your enjoying the running again!
    LmH - lovely pacing, you seem to churn those LSRs out with alarming ease..

What - nothing
    Why - rest day, legs felt tired all week.