Ultra - A world of adventures

If, like me, you like to make up your own little ultra distance runs and adventures then post the details and photos here...

Last Saturday I did the 45 miles of the GUC from Tring to Paddington.   Next weekend, weather permitting, I shall have a go at SDW going East to West from Eastbourne to Winchester.   I'll post photos and a report....

Comments

• DV myself and WiB talked briefly about doing an unsupported SDW sometime in the future, I quite fancy doing it in winter, maybe January. If you're happy I'll ask you a little later how you got on and where you managed to get water/supplies along the way if that's ok?
  • Lirish..   it's looking good for the weekend...  I have the Harvey map and there are water taps marked on it...   it looks perfectly feasible to do self-supported...   I'll report back next week with some feedback..

• DV I did Amberley to Eastbourne as a recce run for the SDW which I think worked out as about 53 miles and there was quite a few taps spread out here and there, not sure about the other half though which I think I'll be your second part?
  • I ran some of Peddars Way at the weekend. Just done a bit of research, it's a rather pleasant 46.3m, so I think that might make a nice challenge for a winter training run. There's a few miles of road, then a lot of field paths, so it will be a balancing act for waiting until the long grass/vegetation has died back (it's not a hugely popular route) but not too long that it's got VERY muddy...

Would be nice to have some company, but as no-one lives around here I guess it's going to be a solo expedition!

• LIrish...    I was out on SDW yesterday..    it is definitely do-able solo..  the water taps are well marked and positioned.  The terrain was so much harder and hillier than I expected though....   I am rubbish at hills and really need to focus on that and the result was that my progress was slow.   It wasn't helped that I had to carry my powders for fuelling, but really I'm just rubbish at hills...!

Lovely run..  superb location and views and very enjoyable.

• Hey DV - sounds like a good run nonetheless...

I've just read a bit about National Trails etc - if I get on Peddars Way at the North Norfolk coast (nearest trail to me) apparently I could get all the way to Lyme Regis on the Dorset Coast!! Peddars Way links to the Icknield Way, which links to, then criss-crosses, the Ridgeway, which then links to the Wessex Ridgeway, down to the coast....

Now that would be a challenge - perhaps for my 50th...

• Dark Vader, I am in awe of your plan to run the SDW!  I have the Harvey's map and used it on a walk from Eastbourne to Winchester some years ago.  I don't know what your food plans are and how much you will carry, but I just wanted to say that the shop marked on the map at the village of Washington is no longer there. 

My own little baby-ultra plan was to run the Avon Valley Path this summer from Salisbury to Christchurch (35m).  Unfortunately we had those 6 weeks of rain leading up to my planned dates and the path was underwater in lots of places, so I postponed the run and will try again next year.