Boston Marathon 2013

Just wondering if anyone was (like me) planning on running Boston next April, or whether any lovely forumite has a fantastic suggestion on how to get out there without re mortgaging the house! All initial investigations are looking seriously expensiveimage

Comments

• No, it is expensive! Particularly if you don't have a place through a qualifying time, and so have to go down the sports tour route.

If you do have a qualifying place then there are cheap buses between the Chinatowns of Boston and New York so you might be able to get a cheaper flight to NY (compared with one to Boston).

That said, I did go on a sports tour last year (long story involving them changing the entry system) and had a great time FWIW and don't regret it.

• Hi Nicola

Without being smug I am already registered for Boston 2013!  I got an "unprecedented" deferment being one of the runners' that did not run due to temperatures in the 90's last April. I got my confirmation a few days ago.

You cannot enter on a first come basis. They advertise that "if you have the 'time' we have your race". What they mean is a Qualifying Time. Formal entries start 10th September.

None of the big U.S.A. events do overseas runners' any favours and charge much more than domestic runners'. In my view they do provide good value for the entry fee which you would certainly expect anyway. In a sense this might also apply going via the Sports Tours route - very expensive - but if travelling alone you will have the company of like minded companions and the rep will have you all organised for the Expo and on the start line on time. If you have a Qualifying Time you do not need to pay the exorbitant entry fee requested by Sports Tours just flight and hotel.

If making your own way there - In addition to your airfare and hotel you must budget for food separately (to avoid high hotel prices). Personally I have never found the food any cheaper than in the UK when eating out. You can get hot food and take it to your hotel. Having travelled all the way to the U.S. We normally stay 5/6 days to make it worth the expense of getting there. It doubles as a holiday.

If the overall cost seems 'a few dollars more' why the hurry for 2013? Start saving for 2014.

• Thanks for the advice, I do have a qualifying time and a date to apply by (next Weds I think) dragged some friends to New York for the marathon last year but think there'll just be me this year which makes it even more expensive!

• Yep I am planning on applying for a place (also on Wednesday!) and looking forward to it.

• Well am registered - just need time to be verified and I am in image

• I'm registered- waiting for them to verify my London time.

• Me too, have used my Windermere time, hope it won't cause any confusion as there's a U.S Windermere marathon too. Fingers crossed!

• Lovely course Windermere and the Sunday this year was lovely weather.

As long as you put website link sure it will be fine

• Place confirmed, hotel and plane booked - must be real now - bring it on

• Me too! glad to finally see my name on the entrant list, everything booked now.

• Keith- If you don't mind me asking but what did you pay for your flights, the cheapest I've seen are £405 from Manchester airport.

• Nicola- Where is the entrant list?

• if you click on the marathon in the list of events, then 'participant information' and then 'athlete registration' then a sub heading comes up with a search facility of registered athletes. Took a week for my name to come up!

• Jonah I went with Virgin from London. Was £440 I think.

Agree its nice to see the name on the entrant list

• Flights seem to be a little cheaper than last year. In terms of accommodation a group of three of us have hired a nice flat in Beacon Hill for less than we would have paid for a hotel in the centre. We've rented from VRBO who one of the guys used last year.

Can't wait - although am hoping for a cooler day this year!
  • I'm in too! Finally! Had a 5 year plan to qualify but took 6 years in the end...

• Lucky enough to hear today I was chosen by qualifying time from Oslo marathon 2011 (only 1.5 mins inside time for my age so I didn't expect that.) Now need to find som reasonable travel costs!
  • Steve C - that's pretty similar to my qualifying time, I'd only dipped under my age requirement by 86 seconds too... Started to look at hotels - yikes! They're not cheap!

• Am hunting too..am looking at the red roof inn on Expedia, 523 with flights from heathrow and 2 nights...it's in Framingham which is just off the course. Scared to book it although I know I need to very soon! Nervous as travelling alone image
  • Re hotels my mrs booked an apartment for the week via an online trip advisor that had recommendations and reviews. I think it was about 1500 or so USD for the week. That was a lot less than hotels. I can post more info if that's any help to anyone.