Options

The Big Stockport Run 10K

Comments

• Options

You're winding me up aren't you?  That's a whose who of top V45 runners...excluding Kwaka of course (sorry Kwaka if you're reading). 

• Options
    Great you can enter on day been trying to find out rang number on the online leaflet today but no answer.

one question is the regiatration area far from stockport train station? Me and 2 friends are getting train from manc piccadily to stockport.
  • Options

Andrew - it's a 10 minute walk from Stockport station to the start/registration area

• Options

I'll be cycling from Chorlton to the start, as my lift has hurt his foot & had to pull out! A good warm up I suppose! I assume there'll be somewhere nearby I can lock my bike up & leave my bag?

• Options
    Just back from this- really enjoyed it despite three hills. Let down by poor pre-race organisation and wrong instructions as to where to register. Also poor goody bag- no medal - and my husband's bag didn't even have a drink. However marshalling around the course was excellent and I'll forgive minor niggles as it was the first one. Hope it becomes a bigger and better event in time and we get more crowds next time. Other than the hills it's a fast race and with only 3-400 runners no crowds at all.

I do get the impression the council were trying to get first timers going, but partly due to not great publicity it was full of familiar faces.

Thanks to the organisers- looking forward to next year.
  • Options
    Goody bag was below par and no water at the finish, plus course was less than inspiring (too much suburban housing) - Maybe the route could have gone via Edgeley Park & Alexandra Park. However, apart from these gripes, well done and not bad for a first year attempt - Much better than the organisation of the Manchester Marathon.
  • Options

I've just come back from this. It was my first 10k and really enjoyed it. Do we know if there will be race times/results available? and if so where to find them?

• Options
    New Zealand road was an absolute PB killer. Good event however. Looking forward to the results.
  • Options
    New Zealand was a killer but got a PB!! Well happy. Echo comments above. Very suburban poor goody bag but good up and downs overall. Nice downhill onto Stockport at end.

Not sure where or when results come out but gutted they won't show in the official places. People will just have to believe me I broke 41 mins!
  • Options
    Good on you Matt, well done mate. Thought it was a good course although a little bit too much running round houses. I prepared badly with a hilly run yesterday much too quick. Energy levels weren't superb at all and affected me a bit. Like you say nice finish through the town centre. Will definitely compete next year.
  • Options

Neil - any idea where /when the results will be posted - you have mentioned in one of the previous comments about the race not counting towards UKA rankings, however the race is showing up as being listed on UK Athletics Run Britain site.  Will the results be posted on RunBritain or one of the many race results sites?

• Options

Enjoyed it, minorglitch as registration point had been moved at last minute, but that didn't spoil race, having done Stockport 10m, the route through housing estates didn't bother me, and liked the Woodbank?Vernon Park bit,have never liked New Zealand Road, (ha ha ) and wasn't sure about the downhill on the brew in the Market - wary of slipping, but overall, very good, and would do it again !      Where are the results being posted ?

• Options

PB for me so very happy!

I presume New Zealand was the road just after the park- tough going, but the hills keep it interesting. Fun running into town at the end to collapse into a sweaty mess in front of the shoppers.

No t-shirt in the goody bag, but I'll do it again image

• Options

If you want a medal/t-shirt and fancy goody bag then you should go to a race that charges £10 more. I thought this race wasn't bad value at all.

Also we didn't run the route that was on the website as we went right down to the bottom of Vernon Park which adds more on. I suspect we might have done almost half a K more - anyone wear a Garmin?

• Options

I wore a Garmin - actually came in dead on 10K!  

• Options
    Good point Stephen it is on Run Britain was looking under S not B for Big! Hopefully when results out we can send them on and they should appear in RB and Power of 10.
  • Options

I think someone told me that the route on the website was short and that they were padding it out in Vernon Park and New Zealand Rd (as they did) - dead on 10k according to my garmin

• Options
    M Cortvriend wrote (see)

If you want a medal/t-shirt and fancy goody bag then you should go to a race that charges £10 more. I thought this race wasn't bad value at all.

Fair point

• Options
    I've ran a fair few 10ks now and given this was Stockport's first attempt it wasn't all that bad.

There are huge areas of improvement if this is to become a bigger event. They've all been mentioned above but for me the biggest ones are 1) marshall's that point/speak, 2) a finish line that is visible from within 100-200m of finish line, and 3) water at the finish line.

Like everyone else - where on earth on the results?
  • Options

Matthew - even if the result doesn't end up on Runbritain, at least you have plenty of witnesses that you broke 41 minutes, even me, who you passed on New Zealand road - well done!

• Options

I enjoyed the race.  It was sort of surreal to run up the middle of the A6 as the road just closed in front of us - the road closures and marshalling was all spot on.  The ins and outs in the estates were lacking in "iconic scenery".  But the park was nice and the run in through the historic parts of town was great.

This was a really good effort given that Life Leisure are new to race organisation.  There will be online entry next year.  I got a drink in the goody bag but water at the finish is essential.  A 400m to go sign would have been nice.  And perhaps local radio could get involved.  But the basics are there and with some work I could imagine 1000 runners taking part in a couple of years time.

• Options

Enjoyed this yesterday, and will definately do it again next year.  The marshalling around the course was great.  Though the pre-race organisation/advertising was a bit poor.  Hopefully next year there will be more support from crowds.

Didn't mind the hills on the course, but like others have said didn't really enjoy running around the housing estate.  Started to enjoy it once I got to Woodbank/Vernon park.  More signs from 9k to the end would be good (e.g. 400m, 200m).  

Would have also been good to get a drink at the end, didn't get one in the goody bag image

• Options

Brilliant event. Thoroughly enjoyed variety in route. Very well marshalled. Great to start and finish in town centre - especially for people coming from out of town by train. Very unintimidating welcoming event for first timers, but also great for club runners too. Well done Rob!!! They should put you on the flier for next year. Stockport should brand itself as a 'Running town' as there's so much going on for runners (not to mention 4 parkruns!) Hope the Big Event series (walk and cycle too) grows and grows. Well done LifeLeisure and Stockport Council

• Options
    thanks. but Im not linked to power of 10 or run Britain for some reason have no club! Will have get them to add me. I am registered on both sites for Stockport.

Well done everyone great times.
  • Options

That Rob Downs coasted the win didn't he? Had time for a pint and a fag before the second place came in!