Newbie after some advice

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here but wanted to ask some advice from people who I believe probably have a lot more experience than me!

To give you a bit of background, I'm new to this running lark. Started my training back in January and have gone from feeling exhausted after running for 30 seconds to being able to run for about 40 mins without stopping. Back in July, I did a 5k Race For Life. I had been training well but hadn't got to being able to run the whole 5k without stopping, which was my aim for the race. Anyway, all was going well and I was just about to hit 3.5k with no stops when I got a horrible sharp pain below my right ribs. I would describe it as a stitch, but much worse. Managed to finish the race but was in pain for a few days afterwards and noticed I had a small lump at the bottom of my right rib cage. Went to the doctors who said everything was fine. 

I then took it easy for a while before starting training again, I could now do the whole 5k non stop so I wanted to start improving my time. I had stitches sometimes but learnt to breathe through them, and after a minute or two they went away.

On one of my evening runs I had the sharp pain again, so walked the rest of the route home and took it easy for the rest of the evening. The next day I was hoovering and as I went to push the hoover forwards, the sharp pain came on again,  which literally made me cry out.

Once again after a few days it seemed to go away, although the lump was still there below my ribs.

Yesterday I took part in the London Triathlon team spint, and I was the runner. I was about 3k into the 5k run, all was going fine and the pain started again. I walked for a bit then forced myself to carry on, 2 minutes slower than my PB time which I was hoping to beat, which is really frustrating.

My question is what do I do now? I am still in pain this morning, taking a deep breath hurts, as does laughing etc. and the lump is still there. I'm thinking I should go back to the doctors but they really did not seem at all worried last time so I'm wondering if I'm making something about nothing.

I've not been running long but I want to keep at it and go for a 10k next year, but obviously I don't want this pain to keep stopping me.

I think I've waffled on for long enough now, so if anyone can offer any help or advice I'd be very grateful!

Thanks image

Comments