6 Week old runner - seeking advice

Hello all,

I have been running for around 6 weeks, I am 26 years old, 5'11, 77kg (12 stone ish), 6 week old running shoes.

Started out running/walking on a 2 mile route, with just general soreness from using new muscles.

Progressed quite rapidly and was doing 5 mile runs after 3 weeks with no walking, maybe 3-4 times in a week, with only tight calves as a problem. I tended to run mostly on the road with maybe once a week up on the moors (Grassy/dirt tracks).

At that point I hit a bit of a wall, started picking up little niggles. Started off with a sore calf that cut my runs from 5 down to 2-3 miles. Then a sore achilles for a few days. Then finally a week ago, I got about 1 mile into a 3 mile run, and had to stop and walk back because of really tight calves and quite painful shins.

I took a few days off and went for a quick 2 mile run yesterday and felt okay. I woke  with my right shin throbing - the only word I can describe it. It doesn't hurt, but I know I can't run on it. I keep getting the feeling I'm getting shin splints...all the trouble is on my right side, calves, achilles and shins.

I think I may have over-trained too quickly or I'm doing something wrong.

Would a longer break from running be a better idea? A week? Could I cycle in the rest time? I just feel like I've hit a wall before my new hobby has even started, which is really frustrating...

Comments

• Hey Dan, you've been running for 6 weeks - that's no time at all for your body to adapt to the increased training load you are placing it under 5 miles 4 times a week is a lot of volume for how long you've been running. 

This kind of enthusiasm is very familiar - did it myself when I started running all over again  But it risks hurting you badly, and then you'll be injured for possibly months on end.  Sore calf, painful shins, sore achilles... STOP!  Ease right back on your miles.  Takes multiple days' rest, if necessary, after each run.  

I'm not physiology expert, but what I repeatedly read is that connective tissues take a while to catch up with your muscles.  So we're talking months here rather than days to weeks, of slow, gradual adaptations.  

My guess is that you'd be best off halving your miles right now, or even further cuts until you are okay again.  It's a long game.  Don't spoil it before you've even really started.

Good luck and let us know how you get on image

• I totally agree with everything Questforspeed has already said Dan, I would definately take note, before you really injure yourself. 

5 weeks into my running journey I still hadn't completed my c25k program  and was aching each day so what you are doing must be having adverse affects on your body, you just aren't giving it proper time to recover mate!

P.s. when I first saw the thread I thought I was going to be reading about a newborn that had started running at only 6 weeks old! 

• Thanks for the response.

Yeah I guess I'll take it a little bit more easy, maybe try to do a little more cycling when the weather picks up a little...don't fancy the 60 mph winds at the moment!

Hopefully I can keep my fitness progressing, as well as give the right parts of my body time to recover. Might take me a while to get the right balance.

Lets see if I can withstand the urge to run everyday!

• Are you stretching? Straight after your runs you should go thought a stretching routeen every time.

Think of stretching being as important as running, always do it.
  • congratulations on being able to run at 6 weeks old.

(and use the internet to write posts on the forums)

take it easy, you have plenty of time.

you have to learn to walk before you can run.