oh bugger, another fat newbie.....

Comments

• If it was easy, it would be called football !
  • Im treadmilling to get started and get a solid base, then ive got a couple of local road loops with 2,3 and 5 mile distances and a few mild hills. The treadmill is a solid unit, with several programmes and its never lower than 2 elvation.

As soon as i get a straight 45z2 run without walkies, i promise a 3miler on hardtop.

Fixed the pm with a judicious bending of connectors and a fresh battery. Still, will be at triuk in yeovil on wednesday and maybe triathlonshop bristol on wednesday/thursday image so i might accidnetally get a 910xt - honest image

Want to get that base first though. First weigh in on sunday - i wonder what ive lost ?
  • SgtLard wrote (see)
    Durham at 9ish in the wet n wind, with only starlight ti guide me around the hotel grounds and golf course. Sounds like another easy day on the grindstone to fitness image

Iiiiiinteresting. I maybe working in Durham every now and again, and was looking at that place or the Marriott (which has a gym and pool). What's it like?

• Devere at slaley hall: imense ..... And its too dark to see properly
  • Didin't think much of the triathlon shop in Bristol, but TriUK in Yeovil was AMAZING. I need to go again at some point but if the wife finds out I'm heading that way she makes me leave the credit cards at home image

• I thought loosing ones marvles was a pre requisite o going long. I mean, only the certifiable would forgoe the comfort of four wheels to cover 140.6km

( im not mad, just tri'ng to be )
  • Watches sgt's marbles roll out of the door
  • You Put a smile on my face dave. Thanks for that

Now, anyone : Is their enough time between half outlaw and full outlaw to make a decent go at both?

Marshman fits fink better but its a god awful location to get to from staffordshire. Maybe outlaw half is more convenient except its 5wks between outlaw races...does anyone have access to the admin and could get the. To move to may ?
  • 5 weeks is a perfect time between Outlaw half and full

• Lard I would say it's perfect as well but the half is pricey a little. Oh and just in case just been talking to anouther newbie on messages about next year and if you havn't throught about it yet take a look at wetsuits now the ex-hire ones are dirt cheap at the moment and will be £200 + for the same quility stuff come March might mean you can afford some more pints at the bar in July. image

• Lol - trying one on or buying off the peg is a risk, but i am thinking my visit to yeovil is fortunateimage
  • Lots of tri shops sell off at this time of year, I got one for nearly ??200 off last October
  • Ok, another run down - seemed to have hit a plato as 5k in 38.02 so thats three in a row in the last three runs. Im doing 40 mins without walking now so splits are 12. +/- 45. Long run tomorrow -going 75mins ( hoping to hit 6miles )

Hrt monitor is ok but not sweat tight it seems- ran with it tied to my shorts and its fine whereas it dies after 30mins on my wrist-a screw is missing so of to watch shop for repairs. Polar did tell me they wont service it but would make me an offer on a new one LOL
  • Just blasted out my long run 75mins, 6.1 miles - just beatiful with no walking !

Now off to pub for wifes bday treat. Ill be skipping pudding!

Must try and get a weight check
  • sgtlard, well doneimage how you manage to skip pudding though, I don't know. I have no self control for things like that. Hence why I am still overweight despite loads of training I guess

• Regards wetsuits, Sgt L, a snug fit is important. I would be anticipating that (how might I put this politely) you are going to be a different shape in 6 months time. Losing a stone or more will make a significant difference, and a hired suit gives you the options of getting a smaller one each year. At Tri UK they are £35 for the hire, and just £50 end of season. They even let you buy the one you hired.

Meanwhile, I'm playing about on ebay and the general internet as we speak. 2XU T:2 new for £115, Orca S4 £125, Foor classic £100 (or is it £75 if you phone the shop?).

• no need to put it politely.  If i'mnot a different shape, Ill be a sad fat loser. Dropped 6lbs - but gained some muscle, shapes changed and im runnin ( 1hr15mins today )...something I wasnt doing a month a go.

going to rent one in april and buy one next october - ready for ironman events 2014 along with a flash bike and other bits n bobs.

• Now that sounds like a sensible plan.

Well, as sensible as any zero to hero plan can possibly be.

Congratulations on the run. I found through trial and error that there was a particular distance/time/pace of run that was optimal for weight loss. I'm not going to refer to my distances here, but under 45 min, no wt loss. I was just drawing off the energy in the blood stream. Over 2 hours, counter-productive, as whatever I'd just burned off I was so hungry I'd often over compensate during the rest of the day.
    60 to 90 minutes, the difference was measurable. It was at a steady pace and ate into the long term larder. Don't confuse instant weight loss (that's all fluid) with long term though. You need to replenish the lost fluid. Within a day or two the fluids will be stable and you'll see the difference then.

I'm not saying that the other distances/times are a waste of effort, they all have places in the overall programme. Just those were my optimal burn sessions.

BTW, I've just bought a wettie on ebay, it claims to be new, £88. About half price.

• SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭
    Awsome service at triuk

Rent before buy, trial in their flow pool

Bikes to die for, fitted and built to order or from the peg

Treadmill analysis for running

Thankfully, i left the plastic at home but picked up some elastic laces.

Cool laces- made my trainers into slipons that stay on - no more laces comming untied half way through my run!
  • It's a start, but I thought the whole point of tri was to spend massive amounts of cash on sparkly things
  • image Thats where I've been going wrong most of my kit's from Lidl image sarah said I was like compo of last of the summer wine the other day.

• Me too. I tried out the cycle top and that was spot on. The rain jacket has yet to be tested. Call me a wuss.

• SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

some nice training in the bag with a long run today and a bit of swimming. ( Really need to do rather more swimming - so I will ).

Been window shopping ~ tt bike, computrainer, silly wetsuit, garmin910 ..... wife didnt freak. ( SO, thats a big red flag isnt it. She knows something, and I'm about to find out how much its going to cost )

LOL.

• I'm sure that you don't need a fully fledged time trial bike just yet. Remember that it's all about the engine. There's usually bike sales in January when manufacturers are thinking about the new ranges and bike shops are trying to shift anything. Even Halfords have come up with good deals.

Wetsuits, similarly. £100 should do it comfortably.

Meanwhile, get to work on that engine.

• SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

Im sure i dont too, but its best to set expectations early...

More engine work lined up!
  • SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

mmmm..... interesting swim session. coach set a time trial to allow us to benchmark progress...

9.06 for 400m, 4.20 for 200m ...... a line in the sand.

• There was sand? Did you swim off the beach?

Er, I must now admit that 9:06 for 400m is faster than me. Have you done a lot of swimming in the past Sgt?