Tueasday 25th September 2012

Morning!

What: work, but resting legs as much as poss
Why: in the absence of other advice as yet, that seems the best thing to do

Lyrics: managing to avoid this as yet...
"Oh, the shark has pretty teeth, dear
And he shows 'em, pearly white"

Rnjoy your day. Still raining here Don't think its stopped since Sunday evening.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Morning.

Good news about the achilles Alehouse. Hope the scan shows what's going on elsewhere.

Not a holiday you're looking forward to then Blisters?

What:            easy swim
    Why:             get everything moving
    Last hard:      the ground on Sunday
    Last rest:       24/9

Lyrics - guessed from context.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Morning,  been AWOL for a few weeks, manic over here.  Will pop in later to read back, been mainly resting (due to a week of non-stop visitors so not really resting)!  Found out I got that job so am very happy!

What: rest
    Why: had 2 consecutive days and hip starting to grumble
    Last hard: a pyramid yesterday!
    Last rest: all last week
    Lyrics: yes

Have a good one alll

• Well done on the job front, Emzap!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Good news on job Emzap and welcome back

How's the injury settling LMH?

Surprised you're avoiding swimming Alehouse!image

What: 3 mile easy round Scapa this afternoon

Why: taper

Last hard: 22nd

Last rest: yesterday (although a days work was a shock to system!)

Lyrics: no
  • Morning

Ended up doing a spinning class duringmy lunch yesterday after saying I was resting! I just couldn't bring myself to rest! Bad I know image however I left my kit at home today so will be completely resting! Thinking of doing a 5k or so run tomorrow just to keep the legs moving then another on Friday. Swimming class on Thursday evening too. Does that sound to much?

What: rest
    Why: Taper
    Last hard: 16/09
    Last rest: Today

Thinking of ringing up the organisers today to see if I can be put into a different start. Have an awful feeling that I may be held up by other runners as just after the start of the race it can be a bit tight! Fear i've been put in to the start i'm in due to not having done a half mara in the last 2 years. Unfair after all the training i've done!

• Morning all,
    AleH - sort of good news with the injury ..
    Emz - congrats on the job front
    Naughty OPR if you should be restingimage 
    Re the taper - I get restless, I'm of the opinion something short, slow and easy is better mentally...
    what - 4 easy lunchtime
    why - switching speed session to tomorrow: will be coaching small people again tonight, and tbh legs sore after a going over by the QoP last night. She said my quads hadn't been that tight in a long while.
    lyric - yup

• OPR
    In all the races I been at, start position is normally determined by your own assessment . 
    Last year at Loch Ness 10 K, I accidentally entered my time for a 5k and was allocated to the first pen! I was allowed to voluntarily reallocate myself to a slower pen (along with 100 others who made a similar mistake).  My estimated time at 25 minutes would have been faster than the world record for a 10k image

What does a spinning class involve?
    (I just have images of an old fashioned spinning wheel!!!image)

• Good Morning.

20 miles d&d on the bike that goes nowhere

Wait...................  2 miles d&d in 20 minutes ....  Hoop Hoop, Oh Yeah, Oh Yeah ..... Love to the World

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Good morning

Alehouse: more waiting it seems but hopefully will result in a move forward. I had similar problems in 2007, when I had to stop running with severe knee pain. It took another five months to get an accurate diagnosis, courtesy of an MRI scan. In the interim I suffered a lot of pain and frustration trying to rehab from non existing injuries. Outcome was torn cartilage and operation in January 2008. Even before this experience I've always believed that the hardest thing to get when your injured is an accurate and timely diagnosis.

I read your comments about extended base training on the MG thread, and agree wholeheartedly, especially the Lydiard refences. It's my opinion that the runner in question is not being well advised, but it would be impertinent for me to jump onto that thread to resurect old opinions about mindless amounts of mileage being run at funereal pace.

Paddy good to see the comeback well on its way. Mao Tse Tung (sic) said that a journey of a 1000 miles started with one step.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

lyrics, oh yes!

alehouse, nice one

emzap, good news!

oh no lmh, what happened?  Sorry I was away all weekend, hope you are ok

talking about mao tse tung, I do tai chi everyday now and its just sooooo g ood!

what: tai chi d&d, easy run later

why: testing

last hard: sat bike, nearly 30 miles

last easy: yesterday

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Lyrics, yup. I think that I've got 3 versions of this song in my collection. Very popular in its day.
    Thread sage, wise owl.
    OH, I had to laugh at the self declaration of being a world record holder!

What, I should be writing up my report, for then I can get on with the serious stuff.
    Swimming kit is in the car, trainers are at home. I would like to use both.

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

LMH  sorry to hear about the fall. You've been struggling with injuries a bit recently haven't you?

Ale  I read one post and the achillies is good, the next it's not so good again.  This must be sooo frustrating.  I hope they can sort something out, operation or not.

Postie  Am I right in thinking you're running your mara dressed as a womble?  Or have I got completely the wrong end of that stick?!

• Afternoon

What 8 commute
    Why because I can
    lyrics no

Emzap it was Blisters joke. Congratulations on the job front.

Going to reign it in a bit this week as my left ankle seems a bit tender. Don't know what caused it but suspect it might be adapting to new shoes. I don't think it's serious though but it's better to play safe with the long game in mind.

• Great news Paddy.

Well done on the job emzap - it's been illness rather than injury with me so far this year.

Wabo - I fell off my mtb image

OH - must better thank you. No swelling in the ankle this morning so just a little round the knee and some impressive bruises. I can walk without a limp. Had intended to be very sensible and just go for a swim today but was a little stressed by work so was semi-sensible instead and did an hour on the turbo to clear my head rather than running.  Spinning is a gym class on a staitionary bike.

OPR - don't leave your best race on the road this week! The taper is nearly as important as the training if you want to do your best, getting it right is difficult. I try to do just enough so as to not go mad climbing the walls.

Blister - hope that you got/get to use both.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Evening

Tom - Works not too bad but  its physical on feet all night and lifting  and carrying and fixing shelves and stuff but i've slept well past 2 nights 

I must pay a visit to the MG thread to see what Ale said i could read between the lines  but will pop over there and have a read

Postie take care 

Paddy looking good but be careful

What 3.48 miles 
    Why: keeping  it short
    Last Hard: ages
    Lyrics Yes 

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

works sports day

100m 15.4 secs PB
    200m 35.00 (unplanned a swe had run out of runners.... no warm up no prep) still a PB
    1500m 5:21 very happy image 6 secs off a PB
    4 x 100m relay, and we got teh baton round with no practice.... EASY.....

3 large glasses of wine and a pint of cider, now having difficulty in functioning.....

• RFJ: That's a result all round then.

LMH, I did indeed manage to get an hour's run done (7.7 miles) and follow it up with a mile swim (44 mins).

A few tender ankles about this week, ice and ibuprofen are on order. As is the ice and slice for RFJ.