High Peak 40

Does anyone who's done this race have any tips? How much of the course is runnable? My brother and I are doing it together, and would it be unsporting to find a random person online to make up a team?

Cheers

Comments

• This is one of my personal favourites, and includes some of the most spectacular views that you will see in British ultra running.  The organisation is old school but very thorough.  You should be able to manage without a mp because the course is well marked.  The advertise the checkpoints as being every five miles, but they are more like every three.  Provision at checkpoints is basic, but at a minimum would include water and bananas.  The terrain is very tough with a lot of ascent/descent, and some parts are not very runnable.  It is called the High Peak 40 for a reason.  Expect to hurt the following day and the day after that. 

• This will be my 3rd year and I think Maria's 4th. It was my introduction to ultra and a great event. No razzmatz or hype, just get out and run. Then not much of a cfinish line, just a table at the School to give your tally card in then you get pointed in the direction of a cuppa and some food. There showers in the sportshall that you can use.

And it is a very runnable course which is what catches a lot of people out. Watch out for the run down to the resevoirs on the tarmac. It is early in the day and the damage it does to your quads probably won't come to light until after Castleton. But before Castleton you get the wonderful section along Rushup Edge and over MamTor.

The two climbs that get to me are up to Eccles Pike, and then Cavedale on the Limestone Way out of Castleton. Deep Dale 1 is a never ending grind on the road and Deep Dale 2 is just a cruel addition to put at the end of a race!

Last year I took a 500ml bottle in a waist belt with a couple of my own gels and a couple of High5 sachets. The aid stations are well stocked with all the usual ultra goodies. So you can top up from those.

There is no kit check, but a light weight waterproof and arm warmers got me round ok.

One last thing.... There are more toilets in the sports hall, so don't get stuck in the queues by registration ;o)

Have fun and we'll look forward to hearing how you got on afterwards

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Done it a couple of times.  About 15 miles road so you might want to consider road shoes (if dry ?!).  A very good first ultra with a good mix of terrain.  Yes, Deep Dale 2 is one of the more dispiriting things you're likely to encounter in running - why is there a gorge in the middle of a field?! -  but not far to the end after that!

• Did it alst year with a "tummy upset"!! Great route, more road than you expect, some wicked ascents AND descents. I died going up Cavedale last year!

See you there Roger image

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Just trying to get the time off to enter this year, have entered it before but have never got to the startline due to work commitments. Desperate to donut cos I always hear such good reports!
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭

Right, entry form now going in. Can anyone advise on how easy it is to navigate? I take it maps are essential? Does the route follow a pre determined trail, ie similar to the finger boards and circular disks of the Natonal Trails etc? Thanks...

• As Ben mentioned above (hello Ben) very well marked route and although I carried a map I never looked at it once.  Fantastic and friendly event, unfortunately medical conditions prevent me taking part this year. Enjoy.

• I am in for this one too! Will be my first run since the Ridgeway 85.

Mr F did you run the Ridgeway the other week?

Think I remember your tag, I was in the 10am starter group.
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Gav, Yeh I was there mate. Still have the blisters to prove it! Went out for a 12 miler.today, first run since. Felt quite good actually! You?
  • I finished the Ridgeway but got an Achilles tendon injury along with my finishers medal! image

So no training for this one and my next run will be this race!

Looking forwards to getting back out there again.
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Well my Ridgeway ended at mile 70. The blisters were pretty sore but my issue was sickness. I'd struggled to eat due to nausea on the section up to the 70m checkpoint. I was then sick and really struggled to eat. Was really gutted as that was the second DNF there in two attempts. I was going so well up until then as reached the 70 cp at 4am. I might return but might just leave it as my bogey event! Legs a bit sore after yesterdays run actually, but that's my first effort since the Ridgeway so maybe they are jauay getting used to it again! At least the ridgeways hills should have prepared us a bit for the high peak?!
  • Sorry to hear about your DNF. You *have* to return to complete the race image

I don't know how you were feeling but when I get as sick as you described I just force food down, even if I am sick I just stuff it down untill it stays down then walk.

Eventually the sickness will pass. I also take emergency rations that I know I can eat even when I am sick. In my case that is ready salted hula hoops image

Looking forwards to the High Peaks, heard a few folks complain about the road section but the rest of the route sounds amazing.

btw - Don't count on the Ridgeway hills preparing you for these peaks image Look at the profile in the links below of the Ridgeway vs High Peaks!

http://connect.garmin.com/course/18277
    http://connect.garmin.com/course/1948694

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Gav, will check those graphs out on the pc later! The problem with the sickness was if left me feeling so weak and shakey. It's funny cos that's the first time I've suffered like that. There's an interesting video attached to last years forum worth a look if you've not seen it.
  • Is it full????

And ok for a muppet that REALLY can't do nav!!!!????

• Forgotten how painful the aftermath of this race is image calves and quads trashed

• Must say I really enjoyed Saturday. Weather was great and the Peaks looked beautiful, event that #@*%ing road to Chelmorton!

I know Rich had a good day, but how did it go for everyone else?

• First ultra and i will be back, fantastic race, although my legs are a bit of a mess at the moment. 6hr 59 so very happy with that, chatted to loads of different runners along the route, very friendly indeed and the checkpoints had enough provisions for you to get around without taking your own, which i did!.

Spectacular scenery, but who on earth put a 500ft drop at 37 miles to get over the over side of the gorge! Sadistic is an understatement! great race, will defo be back next year

• Roger L-S wrote (see)

Must say I really enjoyed Saturday. Weather was great and the Peaks looked beautiful, event that #@*%ing road to Chelmorton!

I know Rich had a good day, but how did it go for everyone else?

Loved it as always. Perfect weather made for the best memories this event can offer. I agree with Rich and Chris about the post-race DOMS. This event does it like few others can. I blame all that pesky running we have to doimageReport with piccies linked.

• Excellent report (as always), Nck
  • How quickly do they get the results out?

• Weren't provisional results emailed out last week?