Medals or no medals?

Comments

• General feeling then seems to be that we love our medals...Especially interesting has been hearing what others do and do not keep as far as race memories are concerned.Massive thanks for all of the excellent replies thus far.Keep em coming! Obviously I am not the only one that has pondered on this matter.

• I lot of people train hard to maybe run 1 10K or half marathon in their life so a medal is a nice momento of the occasion. I keep my marathon medals (only got 2 so far though) for a similar reason, running one is a big thing for me and I like the souvenier, my medals from shorter races go in my 7 year olds collection with his junior football ones.

• i have enjoyed reading this debate too, Muttley omg pmsl!!!! ( and i have to say at the pink earphones pic too , meant to say but submitted my reply on the other thread ) 

and reading about racing numbers too, yes I am sad and have kept my racing numbers too, I've put them in a folder, I might do what someone else has done and write my times on them so I can look back and see what my times were for each race, sad I know lol

• I do like a medal as a momento. I'm not keen on an undated medal, and even worse, a medal that doesn't even note the name of the race. To me that is pointless - yes they are cheap as no special molds have to be made, but it is just a meaningless piece of metal - the race organiser should just not bother. Boo to generic medals.

• Actually having thought about it, I do like medals, I just don't particularly like the races that typically give out medals!
    Apologies to any medal I may have accidentally offended image

•  

yes I am sad and have kept my racing numbers too, I've put them in a folder

LOVE THIS! i have a folder with all my concert tickets in chronological order. might have to start a running one too. i also love medals and hang them on my bedpost......

• I love getting medals after a race, they're the perfect souvenir and everyone I have means a lot to me. All I have to do is think back to the time when running around the block nearly killed me and each medal puts a smile on my face! I keep my race numbers too. Nice collection Muttley

• georginagem wrote (see)
     i also love medals and hang them on my bedpost......

does that not lead to people being curious as to what they have been awarded for?

• oops, i am not trying to suggest there are such a lot of visitors to be curious about them. image

• I keep all my numbers - I write the race, date, distance, gun time and chip time (if there was one).  This was useful recently when I was fishing around trying to remember my 10k pb recently.

Having done my first triathlon, those numbers will get race, date, distances, individual times, transition times and overall times and whether pool or open water.  I'm guessing this is why you get two numbers in triathlons, to fit it all onimage

I am ok with my medals, but don't really think much of it if I don't get one.  Though I agree unless it has the year, and either the name of the race or something indicative of the location, I think they are pointless. 

I think medals either have to be traditional gold, silver and bronze positions, or for everyone or nobody.  25% is arbritary - you could get people in top 25% who may have put less into the race than someone in the bottom 10%.  Could have a good runner who is doing the race as an easy/recovery/pleasurable run that day, and I don't think they would be more worthy of a bottom 10%er who has just started running, has made a huge effort just to get round etc.  Not that they are more worthy either - just different and I think that's why you can't have a cut off like that.  Likewise with the graded medals - that's a bit like those t-shirs where you can get a certain colour if you can prove you've run a marathon in a certain time - and (as far as I know) they haven't been hugely popular - nobody really knows what they mean and that makes them meaningless.

I wonder if all the people who like the medals would not enter if they weren't available.  Say a race you liked stopped doing medals, would you opt out that year?  Is it a bit like chip timing/not chip timing - for some people it can be a deal breaker?

• Princess Leah wrote (see)

I wonder if all the people who like the medals would not enter if they weren't available.  Say a race you liked stopped doing medals, would you opt out that year?  Is it a bit like chip timing/not chip timing - for some people it can be a deal breaker?

Nah, I do a race because I like it, or because it's a useful event to do. For me the only "deal breaker" is a downright unreasonable/greedy entry fee or obviously terrible organisation.

• I think the majority of races give medals (of varying quality) as that's part of the race day experience and expectation, i'd imagine i've taken part in around 75 races and off hand only 2 didn't give medals.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Starting out I loved a medal.

These days it's very much an afterthought, and what matters a lot more is pb potential of the course and details like that.

Should probably do something better with the medals I've amassed then stash them in a box, as if one starts to rust they all do!

Worst medals are those "one medal fits any event" types that just have a ribbon attached with the actual race name.

Race T shirts are even worse. Crappy things you'd never run in, would never wear anywhere, and only good for throwing on in bed or to keep warm when stretching after a run!

I prefer a momento at a race these days.

Did the Victory 5 in Portsmouth a couple of weeks back, and they gave an excellent gold boot out. Have no idea what the significance was, but it was excellent, really different, gleaming, and even engraved!

Makes those medals that don't even have the date and year on look pony.

• I don't mind T-shirts, it's just that I prefer a medal. I have a drawer full of race T's and I do wear them when I'm slobbing around or for sleeping in.

At this precise moment I've got my Bracknell Half Marathon 2003 T-shirt on image

• Thanks for the comment..But I have to disagree there Jwheezy.I've probably entered around 100 races or so, over the last 4 years and the vast majority did not provide medals at the end.I don't think I am particularly fussy, but It could be the types of terrain and races I have been choosing of course. I'd estimate I have about 25 medals from varying 10k, 5k plus a few trail races over that time.I also know of fellow runners who choose races  that only give medals....That's fine, if that's a particular runners incentive :O).Personally I think I would rather have an option - when signing up - to either get a medal - say for e.g. If I equaled or bettered my PB, or came within the top 100 lets say, or alternatively  give the cost of a medal to a charity (their choice or mine) It would'nt really matter which....If enough runners opted for that, additional charity money could soon add up. As I've already stated though, I doubt that much will change as most runners enjoy a good quality goody bag by the sounds of things, especially if it includes a shiny disc on a ribbon.

• Funny things, medals.

Some races I don't feel I've actually earned one for one reason or another. Maybe a half marathon is a long way for some people, sometimes it is for me, sometimes it feels a bit too easy and I don't feel I tried my hardest.

In June I almost DNF because I developed a migraine. I should have pulled out, but I struggled for 2:30, a terrible time, didn't deserve a medal for poor time, did I deserve a medal for pushing on? I didn't raise any money. The thought of never having a DNF and the prospect of a medal kept me going. How silly is that!
  • The Keswick half marathon has a race memento that you can opt to buy additionally or not - it is not included in the race fee.  I always thought that was good (and I opted to buy - it was a nice coaster so a bit different).  I think they might have said that it was a limited option though - so they didn't guarantee availability.  I don't know how it would work with medals though, particualrly for larger races.  I don't know how far ahead they would have to confirm how many were needed (especially if not the one size fits all non entity of a medal) and how much the cost varies on quantity needed. 

As a race number collector I'm not sure what to make of these races now that put the race number on the t-shirt and insist you wear that.  That's going to complicate my system.

• if you don't like the medals, don't keep them .. simples. 

• I don't wear anything but old race t-shirts to work and very often when I'm not. The only ones I think I don't ever wear are the VLM ones as they're so crap and about 10 sizes too big.

• Princess Leah wrote (see)

As a race number collector I'm not sure what to make of these races now that put the race number on the t-shirt and insist you wear that.  That's going to complicate my system.

The shirt will inevitably be the wrong size, so cut it up?

• what they have race numbers on t.shirts, i'd not heard of that before, what races do that?  I'd be scared as I am really fussy about what i run in as dont want to chaff either

still loving my medals lol, wore my HM one tonight down my club and people bought me drinks to celebrate hahahaha

• Thats sounds well deserved TimR......I had'nt heard of pre numbered tshirts? Hmmm! I am sure most of us will always prefer to wear our own gear depending on the distance and weather...Thanks Princess Leah.The Keswick half marathon option you mentioned sounds a step in the right direction  to me.

• It happened in the Olympic Stadium 5k thing this year.  I was a bit surprised, but thought that it was probably just a one-off.  But, I'm pretty sure that one of the London 10ks did it this year as well - I think I remember someone posting about it on here.  I'm sure it will stay very much the exception rather than the norm.  I think it was for the photos to get everyone wearing the sponsor's gear.  Don't know what they did if you ordered a small t-shirt then put on 20 stone image .  Think I'll be happy to avoid those races!

• This year's Midsummer Munro half marathon had personalized numbers - your name beneath your race number, which I thought was a nice touch.

Princess Leah wrote (see)

I wonder if all the people who like the medals would not enter if they weren't available.  Say a race you liked stopped doing medals, would you opt out that year?  Is it a bit like chip timing/not chip timing - for some people it can be a deal breaker?

*takes a deep deep breath* Yes, for me it is.

There. I've said it. I'm so shallow.

• It's not like chip timing at all !!!!
  • Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    It's not like chip timing at all !!!!

In the sense that for some people it is one of the criteria they look at for whether they will enter a race or not, which is therefore might be a relevant consideration for *some* race organisers.

• I love medals,  I have them hanging up for a year and love getting other people interested in event (Rugby, running, cycling) when they ask about them......well that and what girl doesnt love shiney things!

• ToroToro ✭✭✭

I like medals and am disappointed not to recieve one from my triathlons.  I am very proud of my Edinburgh Marathon medal for all that it represents.  Someone said that they are souvenirs but i believe they have symbolic meaning and whilst not representing a position as is tradition they do represent effort or achievement however small.  A t-shirt was interesting the first time but now I am not that impressed when i get one (Wheaton Aston 10km was actually a good one - bright yellow - useful on dark nights).

Red Bull steeplechase was going for hoodies which is novel. I'd still prefer a medal though. or both! there was outcry when Stafford Half decided to not award medals one year.  they upped the cost and we got very nice medals and t-shirts.

• Chip timing is relevant to mass participation races where it takes many minutes to get over the line and therefore has a valid purpose, Medals are for people like Golom