Why are some runners so ignorant ?

When I read the forums on here I find that generally runners are a friendly lot. So why is it that when I go out running most of the other runners I see dont acknowledge me ? I always nod, wave, smile say hello to those running in the opposite direction. On some occassions I have made eye contact a few yards away from someone but as they get clsoer to me I can see that they are trying hard not to catch my eye again. Do other people have this 'issue' or is it just me ??

Comments

• I have the same issue some days. Good and bad in all of us I'm afraid.
  • just you...I always get a hello from runners and cyclists and dog walkers etc..image

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Is it really an issue though?

• Just you.....and me as well. Just because running's an individual sport doesn't mean we runners shouldn't acknowledge each other, but I find a lot of people don't. Also, if I was to talk to them socially I reckon a lot of them would be keen to mention running. It's a bit of a mystery - maybe some people get really "in the zone" when they're out running, and only the minority of us like to look around & take in the surroundings?

• In my experience it depends when and where I'm running. If i'm out on a Saturday afternoon in the good weather, there'll be loads of other runners out and I'll barely get a nod. If i'm in the middle of nowhere, or up at the crack of dawn in the cold and the rain, then the one other person I see will usually give me a nod or a smile. Perhaps there's a greater degree of camraderie when there's fewer of you and you're braving the elements.

• I am with AgentGinger - I go out at around 5:35 am - don't see many people and no runners, but those I do see walking dogs, heading off to work etc nearly always smile or say hello - (it may be that they are just laughing at me thinking what an idiot but they are to polite to say!!!!)

• What Grendel and AG said!

• I think we must be a fairly friendly bunch down here in Torbay image - generally see lots of other runners up and the seafront and around the bay, and it's rare not to have that mutual acknowledgement, I think the comaraderie is one of the nice things about running.
  • I find it disappointing how few runners exchange a nod while out training.

I live in London where people are generally unfriendly to strangers.

A couple of weeks ago I was on a long run in a series of loops in my area, I saw the same person 3 times obviously running a similar distance in different loops in the area and not even a nod of acknowledgement.

I thought it was odd, that said I have also had a runner stop for a chat while I was out with the dog in the same woods he was running in so I guess its a mixed bag.

I for one though always raise a hand or nod to any body I come across when I'm out.
  • J1M wrote (see)
    I find it disappointing how few runners exchange a nod while out training.

top runners can be among the most friendly.

i used to pass Paula Radcliffe when out running and she would nod to everyone.

• i used to pass Paula Radcliffe when out running and she would nod to everyone.

Surely with her running style it appears that she nods to everyone she passes ??!!

WiB wrote (see)

Is it really an issue though?

No, issue is the wrong word. It can be frustrating. I dont want to stop acknowledgeing people because thats not in my nature. But if thats how some people want to be then so be it

• just becuase I'm out running I don't see why I need to acknowledge every one else out running. I'm not the most sociable of people and some days I just don't want to acknowledge the rest of the world. some days I do, some days I dont. I don't understand why it's something to get upset about tbh, just becuase you share a hobby doesn't mean you need to say hello to everyone else you see

• carterusm wrote (see)

When I read the forums on here I find that generally runners are a friendly lot. So why is it that when I go out running most of the other runners I see dont acknowledge me ? I always nod, wave, smile say hello to those running in the opposite direction. On some occassions I have made eye contact a few yards away from someone but as they get clsoer to me I can see that they are trying hard not to catch my eye again. Do other people have this 'issue' or is it just me ??

Do you nod or greet people you pass when walking down the street?  Why is it any different because your are running?

• It's a freindly bunch around my way. All the runners, cyclists and dog walkers always give a nod, hello or wave as we pass.

• Loon. wrote (see)

just becuase I'm out running I don't see why I need to acknowledge every one else out running. I'm not the most sociable of people and some days I just don't want to acknowledge the rest of the world. some days I do, some days I dont. I don't understand why it's something to get upset about tbh, just becuase you share a hobby doesn't mean you need to say hello to everyone else you see

fine, you carry on being miserable then, thats entirely your choice of course.

Wilkie wrote (see

Do you nod or greet people you pass when walking down the street?  Why is it any different because your are running?

Because we have a shared interest with other runners ? As stated in a previous reply, dog walkers in the park tend to stop and have a chat with another dog walker or at least acknowledge them as well. I'm not saying that every HAS to acknowledge me, I'm just curious if it happens a lot to other people as well.

Clearly I need to learn not to be so sensitive about this.....

• Maybe you look like a serial killer...

I think you are letting it bother you too much. Do your thing, if you get an acknowledgement then fine, otherwise why are you bothered?

• I follow the same pattern when running as I do when walking.  If in out in the wilds smile and nod to just about everyone I pass.  If in central London London where I will smile if I notice someone smiling, but won't automatically smile at other runners.  It's nothing to do with being unfriendly there are just too many runners around and what with dodging other path users, crossing roads, avoiding uneven paving stones, dog shit etc. there are just too many other things to worry about than the possibility of accidentally hurting someone's feelings.

• there's a whole world of difference between being miserable and not making a point of noticing and greeting every runner you see everytime you go out. I honestly don't understand the need to be acknowledged by everyone :S

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    carterusm wrote (see)

Wilkie wrote (see

Because we have a shared interest with other runners ? As stated in a previous reply, dog walkers in the park tend to stop and have a chat with another dog walker or at least acknowledge them as well. I'm not saying that every HAS to acknowledge me, I'm just curious if it happens a lot to other people as well.

Clearly I need to learn not to be so sensitive about this.....

Agree with Wilkie, should a stranger acknowledge you just because you both happen to be running?

Do you speak to strangers at other events you have a shared interest in?

I often find myself "nodding" at people when out running, then think, why, this is odd!

• Thanks for the comments everyone, some interesting stuff there.

Dont feel like you have to reply to this unless you want to image

• I do find that dog walkers will greet each other if not stop for a quick chat, and cyclists generally nod and wave a lot more than runners. 
    Agree with AgentGinger though, people seem to be happier to say hello in pouring rain or at stupid o' clock in the morning. 

• I found that was one of the great things about running when I started. I ran down a canal tow path and got loads of hellos from fellow runners that made me feel part of something or other. Since then I've generally found a get anything from the breifest flicker of acknowledgement to a cheery "good morning".

The big exception to this was when I was in London for a conference and ran along the Regents Canal path. I got nothing from anyone.

It' pretty far down my list of reasons to run, but it's in there somewhere.

• I have a number of acknowledgements in my repertoire depending on

a) what kind of mood I am in

b) what stage I am of my run

c) who it is

d) the other person's demeanor

I assume that other local runners are the same and therefore I never expect any form of acknowledgment and hope that they are the same!

• Bear B.Hind wrote (see)

I follow the same pattern when running as I do when walking.  If in out in the wilds smile and nod to just about everyone I pass.  If in central London London where I will smile if I notice someone smiling, but won't automatically smile at other runners.  It's nothing to do with being unfriendly there are just too many runners around and what with dodging other path users, crossing roads, avoiding uneven paving stones, dog shit etc. there are just too many other things to worry about than the possibility of accidentally hurting someone's feelings.

This, basically.

During a typical run (in SE London) I may pass at least a dozen runners plus several hundred non-running humanoids.  Quite frankly it would be exhausting to display to everyone I pass how lovely I am by saying hello and waving all over the place, but being the nice guy I am, my default position with fellow runners tends to be "acknowledgement standby", i.e. catch the eye on approach and engage in the mutual nod - or even go so far as a smile if the other runner is bang-tidy - but I won't consider the other person rude or "ignorant" (OP's terminology) if I get nothing back.

• I was brought up as a cyclist and acknowledging other cyclists was always the norm though it is less common now. I also drove a VW camper and acknowledging other veedub drivers was the norm. I find it less common when running. Certainly if I'm running on the roads in Stevenage I don't expect it but out in the fields it is more common. generally it doesn't bother me if they don't but i always say hello - it's nice to be nice. That said there is a woman I see most mornings when I ride to work. She runs on a cyclepath (not a shared one) and while I always give her the right of way (despite it not being hers) she ignores me everyday. That annoys the hell out of me.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Should you acknowledge someone who is wearing an iPod/MP3 player?image

• WiB wrote (see)

No you just shout coming through!

• Of course there is also the timing issue to consider. Custom dictates that once you've seen someone else at the end of a corridor/long road etc you studiously ignore then until the distance is such that you can exchange the greeting. If each person has a different contact distance in mind they may accidentally blank one another.

Think I need more coffee...

• WiB wrote (see)

And if you do, with how many fingers? image